Jump to content

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So, my fiancee is from Honduras. She has 2 children from her ex boyfriend. I am the petitioner.  After we get married, what is the process to leaglly change my wife's name as well as her childten's last name to mine?


How will this affect the process for applying for a SSN?


Thank you in advance. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first pointer is go to the Social Security office about 2 weeks after entry and apply for her Social Security card in her maiden name. My fiance got his but sometimes they aren't very informed at every office. The reason for the maiden name is because SS has to find her name in the immigration database and issue the card in the same name as on her I-94. She can change her name later after she gets her EAD card or green card. If she waits two months, it will be too late to get SS to issue her a card before her I-94 expires and she will have to wait on the green card before getting it.

Next, AOS, EAD, AP is in the new name. It's a different process so think starting over and use the name she will go forward with. Your marriage certificate that you send in provides the paper trail to show the name change. They'll "get it" when you apply under the married name.

Once she gets green card, go to SS office and show marriage certif and apply for a new SS card in the new name. It says something about not being valid without work authorization from DHS.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The marriage certificate is the legal name change document in the US.


You can apply for an SSN in the first 76 days of entry on a K-1 visa (90 days - 2 weeks of status required by the SSA). The suggestion in the past was to wait 2 weeks to ensure you are in the system first to avoid manual verification (which takes several weeks), but nowadays it's more like a couple days is fine.


I would suggest getting the Social Security card in her maiden name before marriage first so that she has it. Then, after marriage, she can try to get the SSA to change it to her married name via the marriage certificate. This is very YMMV...it took us 3 trips to the SSA, and we also had to provide the NOA1 from the I-485 (AOS). If they won't accept that still, then you need to wait for either the EAD or green card comes in and have them change it at that time.


You just file AOS in the married name. Then the EAD/AP/green card will be issued in that name. Obviously, the name change needs to be an allowed change due to marriage (i.e. no changing first names and such...that needs a legal name change from a court).



AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/17/18: Approved

?/?/?: Green card received





12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received



4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017



5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.