#@!!*

dual citizenship

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello

I have a question that I am sure has been posted many times, but I have not been able to find it. I apologize if it has been covered many times over. My brain has been somewhat linty lately, I blame work sucking away all my active brain cells. My husband I wondering about the bonuses to dual citizenship. He is English and I am the Yank. Does anybody have any advice for us as to the ins and outs, pros and cons, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#@!!* (formerly known as squidge)

Judge Judy rules!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Often discussed on the US Citizenship forum.

Being able to come and go as you please and for as long as you please would be my No 1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
Hello

I have a question that I am sure has been posted many times, but I have not been able to find it. I apologize if it has been covered many times over. My brain has been somewhat linty lately, I blame work sucking away all my active brain cells. My husband I wondering about the bonuses to dual citizenship. He is English and I am the Yank. Does anybody have any advice for us as to the ins and outs, pros and cons, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#@!!* (formerly known as squidge)

Uh...which one of you is wanting to acquire dual citizenship?

You taking UK citizenship should not affect your US citizenship, though I can't think of a single good reason to do it. I've lived in the UK for six years and I've never given any thought to becoming a UK citizen. I don't even want to vote here; I don't care. :devil:

If your husband wants to vote, that's a good reason to take US citizenship...his UK citizenship would not be in jeopardy but if he was in a third country and got into trouble, the UK government would be less willing to help him; they're a bit childish that way. If he doesn't, then there's really no good reason to. He can live in the US as a PR quite happily for the rest of his life with no problems whatsoever; other people have done it.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

What is Dual Citizenship (or Dual Nationality)?

Dual citizenship or dual nationality is simply being a citizen of two countries. The United States allows dual citizenship. For example, if you were born in Mexico you are a native-born Mexican. If you move to the United States and become a naturalized US citizen, you now have dual citizenship. Dual citizens can carry two passports and essentially live, work, and travel freely within their native and naturalized countries.

Some dual citizens also enjoy the privilege of voting in both countries, owning property in both countries, and having government health care in both countries.

Dual citizenship is becoming more common in our increasingly interconnected, global economy. Many countries are now seeing the advantages of dual citizenship and are liberalizing their citizenship laws (India, the Phillippines, and Mexico are recent examples). Dual citizenship has the advantages of broadening a country’s economic base by promoting trade and investment between the dual citizen’s two respective countries.

Some countries do not allow dual citizenship. For example, if you were born South Korea and become a US citizen, you will most likely lose your Korean citizenship if the Korean government finds out about it. But an increasing number of these countries that prohibit dual citizenship are not enforcing their laws regarding dual citizenship. So, you may informally have dual citizenship if your native country does not take away your citizenship after you become a US citizen.

Read Entire Article Here :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You taking UK citizenship should not affect your US citizenship, though I can't think of a single good reason to do it. I've lived in the UK for six years and I've never given any thought to becoming a UK citizen. I don't even want to vote here; I don't care. :devil:

If your husband wants to vote, that's a good reason to take US citizenship...his UK citizenship would not be in jeopardy but if he was in a third country and got into trouble, the UK government would be less willing to help him; they're a bit childish that way. If he doesn't, then there's really no good reason to. He can live in the US as a PR quite happily for the rest of his life with no problems whatsoever; other people have done it.

Sigh, here we go again. As Boiler pointed out, being able to come and go as you please is a benefit for either a UKC or a USC to take citizenship with the other country. Also voting in a country where you have made your life is important to some people, even if it's not to you. And actually, I don't know where you get your information about the UK government being 'childish' about representation of one of their own, it's actually only within the country with which the dual citizen has citizenship (in this case, the US) where the UK government is unable to assist you, and it is thus noted within a UK passport.

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline

A guy down the street got naturalised after 15 years as a LPR, he had issues getting back in after a long trip to S America and he had heard of LPR's being deported for offences that would not have been a major problem for a USC.

He had not intended to, but just those 2 issues made it a no brainer for him.

There are many many more.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The only reason I can think of a UK person not becoming a US citizen is that US citizens are required to file tax returns not matter where they are in the world. So if you become a US citizen, and then decide to move back to the UK, you have two choices: continue to file taxes to the USA with the IRS even though you no longer live there, or give up your US citizenship formally to the US embassy.

The USA is the only developed nation that requires its citizens to file taxes even if they don't live in their home country, BTW.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sigh, here we go again. As Boiler pointed out, being able to come and go as you please is a benefit for either a UKC or a USC to take citizenship with the other country. Also voting in a country where you have made your life is important to some people, even if it's not to you. And actually, I don't know where you get your information about the UK government being 'childish' about representation of one of their own, it's actually only within the country with which the dual citizen has citizenship (in this case, the US) where the UK government is unable to assist you, and it is thus noted within a UK passport.

Yeah, what Candace said is true. I have duel citizenship (US and Italy). The only time the US government would not help me out in a foreign country is in Italy. When I am in Italy and enter on my Italian passport the US government wouldn't help me out if I got in trouble. But really, that's only fair I think!!!

Edited by Marina + Dave

I was curious about this topic as well. I was thinking about having UK citizenship (I am the US citizen). I wondered how hard it would be to do this. It would be nice to travel freely throughout the EU. It kinda sucks when I have to stand in a massive long line and Neil can just walk past and flip open his passport and walk on by. We travel a lot so I think that would be the biggest benefit to me. How hard is it to obtain UK citizenship along with your US if your spouse is UK? Can you even do it if you're not living in the UK? I think we'll move back there eventually but not anytime soon.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
How hard is it to obtain UK citizenship along with your US if your spouse is UK? Can you even do it if you're not living in the UK? I think we'll move back there eventually but not anytime soon.

Same deal as the US--you have to actually live in the UK for three years as a PR before you can apply for your UK citz.

Sucks to be us, I know (no way we're moving over there).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

My husband is a US citizen but lived in the UK for years and had an Unlimited Leave to Remain stamp in his passport. This entitled him to work, claim benefits, all sorts.

He came back from a holiday and an immigration officer stamped his passport with a tourist stamp, which invalidated his Unlimited Leave to Remain stamp. He could no longer work or claim any benefits. It took him months of writing to the Home Office, assembling paperwork, getting relatives to write to the Home Office, and a stack of other headaches to get his Unlimited Leave to Remain stamp back.

He then applied for UK citizenship as soon as possible. It also helps if you're planning on leaving the country for extended periods then coming back again.

The reverse... I got a US green card, but then left the country for several years. I lost my green card and am now starting all over again applying for a new one. The moment I get the chance I am going to apply for US citizenship.

The only downside I can think of about citizenship is if it makes you eligible for the draft... this was an issue for my husband who also has Brazilian citizenship (so he is a triple-citizen now I guess?). He was eligible for the draft in Brazil and the US at the same time. He had to inform the US of changes of address until he stopped being eligible - can't remember what age.

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

How hard is it to obtain UK citizenship along with your US if your spouse is UK? Can you even do it if you're not living in the UK? I think we'll move back there eventually but not anytime soon.

Same deal as the US--you have to actually live in the UK for three years as a PR before you can apply for your UK citz.

Sucks to be us, I know (no way we're moving over there).

too bad. I guess Neil will just always have to wait for me until I get through the massive line. poor us haha. I guess I'll have to wait til I get to the UK for a long time again. it was worth a try. thanks :)

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Sigh indeed.

I can come and go as I please from the UK, and I'm not a citizen. My husband can come and go as he pleases from the US, and he's not a citizen. So...let's set that argument to one side because in our case it is irrelevant.

I'm not a citizen in this country because voting is not as important to me as my refusal to recite a loyalty oath to a woman whose only accomplishments were to be born to the correct set of parents, then to disgorge four completely useless human beings, one of whom will eventually take her place. No, no, and hell no, in that order. I don't care ENOUGH about voting to pledge a loyalty oath to the queen. Any queen.

I got my information about the UK government not helping dualies from my husband, who is the UK citizen in our relationship and claims to have heard this 'repeatedly' from 'many dualies'. You could argue with him if you like; it's one of his reasons for not wanting to take US citizenship.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

Sigh indeed.

I can come and go as I please from the UK, and I'm not a citizen. My husband can come and go as he pleases from the US, and he's not a citizen. So...let's set that argument to one side because in our case it is irrelevant.

I'm not a citizen in this country because voting is not as important to me as my refusal to recite a loyalty oath to a woman whose only accomplishments were to be born to the correct set of parents, then to disgorge four completely useless human beings, one of whom will eventually take her place. No, no, and hell no, in that order. I don't care ENOUGH about voting to pledge a loyalty oath to the queen. Any queen.

I got my information about the UK government not helping dualies from my husband, who is the UK citizen in our relationship and claims to have heard this 'repeatedly' from 'many dualies'. You could argue with him if you like; it's one of his reasons for not wanting to take US citizenship.

The Queen vs GW, Pelosi, Dingy Harry etc.

Tough choice.....not.

It has been said that is you are a USC they the UK Gov will not help you out in the US, to me that is not a big enough deal.

On balance the only thing that would stop me is if I could not be dual, I had to give up my UKC.

This was not my original intent, but if you go through all the factors, for me its a no brainer.

But everybody is entitled to their own choice on the matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.