enigma992

Medical Question - TDAP Vaccination not given

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I had my medical in Surrey with Dr Cheema on Friday. I needed a TDAP vaccination (I almost certainly had it as an infant but could not get proof) so I paid to have it done there. Before the injection I let the doctor know that I had had a bad reaction to tetanaus injections in the past, when I was 11/12 years old, where I felt unwell for a few hours after and vomited. I wasn't asking not to have the TDAP but just wanted to let him know that I had had a bad reaction in case it happened again. Anyway he said he wanted to be conservative based on what I had told him and not give me the vaccination. Instead he said he would mark a "Medical Contra" in my report for TDAP.

He said this should not affect my Green Card application but he was a little vague and I just wanted to double check here that that is definitely not going to be an issue? Does anyone know if there anything else I need to do? Is his marking the "Medical Contradiction" the same as getting a waiver?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know the answer to your specific question but just an fyi a TDAP only lasts 10 years, and with pertussis (the P part) making a resurgence it's being emphasized more and more. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't be 100% sure, as each case is different.  However, I was not able to get one of my vaccines due to a previous allergic reaction.  I didn't deal with it at all -- the office where I had my immigration medical done didn't even mention it to me (I had received all other vaccines at my doctor's office prior to going for my medical, and simply listed the allergy on my paperwork at the immigration medical).  It never came up at the interview.  When I received my passport after immigration approval, there was a vaccination waiver printed right on my visa.

If you're worried, you could possibly call CEAC and ask.  But it was not an issue for me.

Edited by jle2234
Fixed typo

5 hours ago, jle2234 said:

I can't be 100% sure, as each case is different.  However, I was not able to get one of my vaccines due to a previous allergic reaction.  I didn't deal with it at all -- the office where I had my immigration medical done didn't even mention it to me (I had received all other vaccines at my doctor's office prior to going for my medical, and simply listed the allergy on my paperwork at the immigration medical).  It never came up at the interview.  When I received my passport after immigration approval, there was a vaccination waiver printed right on my visa.

If you're worried, you could possibly call CEAC and ask.  But it was not an issue for me.

Thanks. Sounds like it should be fine and I should be in a similar position to you. Ultimately the Doctor has put down that it is medically inadvisable for me to get that shot(a conservative decision as he admitted himself) so the American authorities cannot really insist that I get something that a Doctor has advised against. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It will not be a problem. The doctor mark that it was contraindicated for you and that is all anyone will need. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When you file for your greencard you'll need the vaccine chart they completed at the K1 medical (they should've given you copy). Solong as it's complete and the tdap wasn't left as a no - which it sounds like it wasn't- you should be fine. It's also totally dependant on who's processing your AoS at the time. They may ask you to elaborate at your biometrics/interview as to why, but they won't force it on you to complete the process. 

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.