23 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

am asking for my brother about the H-1B visa, the work visa, how things work, any advice, i try to search but cant find important information, anybody got any information about it or experince?! is it fast is it good, r it for sure?

(20 July 2009) Filed I-751 with waiver for divorce

(25 July 2009) Check Cashed

(22 July 2009) Recived NOA1

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

H-1B can only be sponsored by an employer, and there are only a set number available in a year, so is not fast.

SEE: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1323.html for More.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

that is the page i finded which doesnt have any helpfull infromation at all, but thanks anyway for searching for me, but i neeed experinced people in that kind of visa, advice, is there is way to find it, applying online, but what kind of companies can ofer H-1B visas, is it fast to get this visa, is it acceptable for sure?

does it hard like visit visa?

anybody experinced that one before?

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Good source of info is here: http://www.h1base.com/imignews.asp

VJ tends to cater to family based immigration (K1, K3, CR-1, and IR-1 visa types)

He will have to have a skill that is in demand, and there is a shortage in the USA for workers.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

that is the page i finded which doesnt have any helpfull infromation at all, but thanks anyway for searching for me, but i neeed experinced people in that kind of visa, advice, is there is way to find it, applying online, but what kind of companies can ofer H-1B visas, is it fast to get this visa, is it acceptable for sure?

does it hard like visit visa?

anybody experinced that one before?

I had a H-1B for 6 years. Your brother would need to find a company that is willing to sponsor him for an H-1B, so the first step is to job hunt, not to try to figure out how to get a visa. The visa application itself will be done completely by the company's lawyers, not by your brother.

H-1Bs generally require a high level of education, at least a Bachelor's degree is needed.

H-1Bs are subject to quota, so are quite hard to get these days.

Timeline

thanx for the advice dr lha, other question too, so it should be big companies for doing that, mean, not the motel at the end of the street, it should be big hotel chain to do that as example!,

my second question, is he is subject to just stay and work, or he can apply for immgration and stuff like that?

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

i highly doubt any H-1B's would be sought after for a hotel staffer unless it was for a world reknowned chef or something like that. Majority of H-1B's are architects, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, doctors and college professors according to wikipedia - outlining the fact this this type of visa is based on the highly skilled.

thanx for the advice dr lha, other question too, so it should be big companies for doing that, mean, not the motel at the end of the street, it should be big hotel chain to do that as example!,

I have my doubts hotel chains are wanting for employees so badly that they would go through the hassle of applying for a H-1B for someone. If it were a big hotel chain, they would most likely use an L-1 visa which is much easier to get. L-1 is for employees of foriegn companies that want to transfer to work in the USA. Most hotels would have a foreign presence, so the L-1 would be the way to go.

my second question, is he is subject to just stay and work, or he can apply for immgration and stuff like that?

H-1B is dual intent, so you can apply for a Green Card while present in the USA on one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are still H Visa's available this year for those with a US Masters, or there was last time I looked.

What are your Brother qualifications?

Which line of work is he looking at?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I read that over 60% of the H1-B visas this year went to applicants from India. The H1-B is quickly becoming the industrial espionage visa, since companies in India encourage their employees to join companies in the USA to learn their methods, then they return to India and report what they've learned.

It's pretty cynical actually. I'm for capping H1-Bs and dramatically lowering India's quota.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I read that over 60% of the H1-B visas this year went to applicants from India. The H1-B is quickly becoming the industrial espionage visa, since companies in India encourage their employees to join companies in the USA to learn their methods, then they return to India and report what they've learned.

It's pretty cynical actually. I'm for capping H1-Bs and dramatically lowering India's quota.

Yeah, I think you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. The fact is that a lot of H-1Bs are for technical jobs, especially computer jobs. India has a lot of people qualified in this area. The industrial espionage angle is just another propoganda tool used against H-1Bs by a certain section of Americans who want to get them abolished because they perceive H-1Bs as "taking our jobs".

There are definitely things that could be fixed about H-1Bs, the biggest of which is the ridiculous "prevailing wage" thing. This is where they try to stop H-1Bs becoming "slave workers" by ensuring they are paid a good wage for their job. The reason I think this is ridiculous is because when my last prevailing wage report came back they recommended I get paid $30,000 less than my job was offerring, and the pay wasn't that great for the job!

The H-1B cap is pretty low right now (60,000 a year I think). Capping it even more and putting restrictions on what country comes in will basically be close to scrapping it, and I think H-1B is extremely useful tool for getting smart people into the USA, one of the very few that we have right now. I'd personally rather have some smart Indians coming into the country than the extended family of a person who conned a US citizen into marrying them and getting them a green card.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, I think you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. The fact is that a lot of H-1Bs are for technical jobs, especially computer jobs. India has a lot of people qualified in this area. The industrial espionage angle is just another propoganda tool used against H-1Bs by a certain section of Americans who want to get them abolished because they perceive H-1Bs as "taking our jobs".

I suppose I shouldn't listen to any of my friends in the IT industry in the US either. Companies in India admit to doing this; it's not a secret. I don't want to abolish H1-Bs, but I don't want them all to go to people from India either. It isn't fair.

There are definitely things that could be fixed about H-1Bs, the biggest of which is the ridiculous "prevailing wage" thing. This is where they try to stop H-1Bs becoming "slave workers" by ensuring they are paid a good wage for their job. The reason I think this is ridiculous is because when my last prevailing wage report came back they recommended I get paid $30,000 less than my job was offerring, and the pay wasn't that great for the job!

They should be paid what anyone else doing that job would be paid.

The H-1B cap is pretty low right now (60,000 a year I think). Capping it even more and putting restrictions on what country comes in will basically be close to scrapping it, and I think H-1B is extremely useful tool for getting smart people into the USA, one of the very few that we have right now. I'd personally rather have some smart Indians coming into the country than the extended family of a person who conned a US citizen into marrying them and getting them a green card.

Those people aren't getting H1-Bs so they're somewhat irrelevant. The way things are going, it's almost as if the H1-B is India's visa, and India is throwing its toys out of the pram wanting a BIGGER percentage of the H1-B pie! The absolute f*cking CHEEK is unbelievable. What do you think the UK would say to the United States if we told them that we wanted them to set aside 70% of their skilled worker visas per year? They'd tell us to go stick our heads in a pig, and they'd be right to do so.

I have a friend who probably won't be getting his H1-B because US IT companies are so desperate for people who know that a mouse isn't a foot pedal that they'll hire a bunch of guys from Bangalore who work for the same company, then not suspect a thing as they all leave at the same time a couple of years later and go back to the same company in Bangalore. Basically Indian universities are not training decent software engineers; it is not the students' fault, they're just not taught some things that would be basic in US universities...like design. So, they have to continue their education on the ground in the United States. It isn't right. The US government is helping Indian IT firms to suck more and more IT jobs right out of the country.

As someone who works in IT and is often stuck cleaning up the messes made by the offshore team in Chennai, I resent it. A lot. So sue me. :devil:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

There are definitely things that could be fixed about H-1Bs, the biggest of which is the ridiculous "prevailing wage" thing. This is where they try to stop H-1Bs becoming "slave workers" by ensuring they are paid a good wage for their job. The reason I think this is ridiculous is because when my last prevailing wage report came back they recommended I get paid $30,000 less than my job was offering, and the pay wasn't that great for the job!

They should be paid what anyone else doing that job would be paid.

Yes, that was my point. State Department is supposed to enforce this, but when the prevailing wage they calculate is ridiculously low, then basically they're not doing their job.

Your post only proves you are ignorant about temp visas.

1. (unrenewed) H1-b's HAVE been capped since 1989; generally @ 65,000/fiscal year, sometimes extended by presidential authority (Clinton did this in FY1998/1999).
  2. H1-b's being dual-intent, a substantial number DON't return home (Visa Bulletin). In fact, a substantial number enter(ed) as students and then decide(d) to stay.

(as someone who has actually worked on temp visa--in this case, TN-1--and observed H1-b colleagues...)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.kkeane.com/ is a good resource for H and L.

From personal experience, the only H and L's I know work in IT. I know a few from India and they are sweating on their employer sponsoring them for a GC. Until then the Employer has them by the short and curlies.

But I have also heard that Chinese and Indians particularly are returning due to better opportunities in their growing home market than a declining US one.

My guess is that the OP's brother has no chance, but on the general subject, we have a major IBM plant nearby, I know they are laying off 10% next month with another 10% in a few months time. A friend who works for a start up IT and was looking to recruit a junior person was inundated with applications, the majority vastly over qualified (would want more money than they were looking to pay).

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.