11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i submitted my application middle of july, 2 weeks later i had my biometrics. About a week after that I got the message that i have been put in line for an interview. does that mean that my biometrics are completed?

When i check processing times (chicago) it currently shows that they are processing December 2016. does that mean I have to wait until they reach July for me to get my interview? if that's the case I'm going to be waiting about 5-6 more months unfortunately :( My green card expires may 2018 so I really hope I get my interview before that happens.

Edited by agrzybianek

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, agrzybianek said:

i submitted my application middle of july, 2 weeks later i had my biometrics. About a week after that I got the message that i have been put in line for an interview. does that mean that my biometrics are completed?

It means your background check has cleared, yes.

43 minutes ago, agrzybianek said:

When i check processing times (chicago) it currently shows that they are processing December 2016. does that mean I have to wait until they reach July for me to get my interview? if that's the case I'm going to be waiting about 5-6 more months unfortunately

I would not count on getting an interview before the end of this year, but you never know.  Depends on the case load of your field office.  Most likely you will be scheduled well before July 2018 rolls around, if luck is on your side.  No one can really say what the timeline will be for sure.

46 minutes ago, agrzybianek said:

My green card expires may 2018 so I really hope I get my interview before that happens.

If your green card expires before your interview, no worries---that doesn't  mean your LPR status expires in any way.

You can also schedule an infopass before your green card expiry date to receive the stamp in your passport for free which will extend proof of your status and can be used for re-entering the US if travelling to another country while your N400 is pending.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Just now, Going through said:

It means your background check has cleared, yes.

I would not count on getting an interview before the end of this year, but you never know.  Depends on the case load of your field office.  Most likely you will be scheduled well before July 2018 rolls around, if luck is on your side.  No one can really say what the timeline will be for sure.

If your green card expires before your interview, no worries---that doesn't  mean your LPR status expires in any way.

You can also schedule an infopass before your green card expiry date to receive the stamp in your passport for free which will extend proof of your status and can be used for re-entering the US if travelling to another country while your N400 is pending.

thanks for a detailed reply! :)

my background check cleared in about a week, that's fast!

Only reason I was scared about my green card expiring before I get my interview is that I would be denied for having an expired green card but I read that should not be an issue. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, agrzybianek said:

thanks for a detailed reply! :)

my background check cleared in about a week, that's fast!

Only reason I was scared about my green card expiring before I get my interview is that I would be denied for having an expired green card but I read that should not be an issue. 

Many people's GC's expire before their interview date... it's a non-issue, really.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Just now, Going through said:

Many people's GC's expire before their interview date... it's a non-issue, really.

that's a big relief!

I was sure that filing 10 months before it expires would be plenty of time, guess that's not the case anymore. My mom filed in 2014 and the whole process took 4 months for her. 

Timeline
Just now, agrzybianek said:

that's a big relief!

I was sure that filing 10 months before it expires would be plenty of time, guess that's not the case anymore. My mom filed in 2014 and the whole process took 4 months for her. 

Mine's gone through pretty quick as well, to my surprise.  I filed online in July, and my oath is next week.

Timeline

Did you apply online or on paper?  If you filed the N400 online, you can see PDFs of letters mailed to you through the EGOV website.  If you filed using a paper application you won't  see PDFs

3 hours ago, agrzybianek said:

Really? online it shows that NY is currently processing January 22nd applications. wonder how come yours got pushed ahead.

Congratulations :)

My field office is in Queens, which moves slightly faster than the NYC office.

4 minutes ago, Going through said:

Did you apply online or on paper?  If you filed the N400 online, you can see PDFs of letters mailed to you through the EGOV website.  If you filed using a paper application you won't  see PDFs

My field office is in Queens, which moves slightly faster than the NYC office.

Oh yeah I did it old fashioned way unfortunately

wow seeing that queens is processing October 2016 which is even slower! I’d love to know how they process these things if you jumped the que all these months lol (lucky)

Timeline
1 hour ago, agrzybianek said:

Oh yeah I did it old fashioned way unfortunately

wow seeing that queens is processing October 2016 which is even slower! I’d love to know how they process these things if you jumped the que all these months lol (lucky)

I have no clue.  Luck of the draw and the stars aligning, I guess...I'm certainly not going to question it though!

In retrospect...it could partly have to do with my country of origin since it makes the background check quicker (US, UK and Canada share immigration, border and criminal information with each other openly), and partly me waiting to file the application a good 12 years after receiving my GC might have come into play somehow (like it's more of a streamlined process instead of applying sooner)?  I honestly couldn't tell you.

I thought I would spend longer in the background check because of a prior criminal charge...even though the charge was in Canada and happened 23 years ago it falls under the dreaded "CIMTs", so  I thought for sure I would get stuck in the background check portion...but was only there for less than a week before clearing it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.