Alexander De Ridder

Question about Port of Entry

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I plan to fly with delta on may 8th.

From Brussels to JFK, then two more flights in the USA to get to Houston.

I can get a much easier flight directly to houston, less expensive, but then i wont get a temporarey work permit.

Now the question on my mind ... how much time you need at the port of Entry holding your K-1 visa?

I wonder about this because I'll have a connection flight to catch, obviously. Should I be delayed more than other travellers?

Visa Journey Completed: Permanent US Resident since February 2009!

Thank you for googl'ing my name!

Contact me anytime for your internet development or marketing needs!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I plan to fly with delta on may 8th.

From Brussels to JFK, then two more flights in the USA to get to Houston.

I can get a much easier flight directly to houston, less expensive, but then i wont get a temporarey work permit.

Now the question on my mind ... how much time you need at the port of Entry holding your K-1 visa?

I wonder about this because I'll have a connection flight to catch, obviously. Should I be delayed more than other travellers?

Will you really use the 90 day work permit? Think about it seriously... If not, then don't worry about the stamp.

A POE is very efficient if your flight is the only flight they are processing. A POE wil take time if they are handling 10 concurrent flights. JFK POE can get very busy depending on the time of day... I have transited JFK in as little as 30 minutes and as long as 2 hrs. and this was going through the USC line. The only difference was first flight to unload versus 10th flight to unload in a 30 minute period.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

i'll have 3 hours in between my flights, will that be enough?

Visa Journey Completed: Permanent US Resident since February 2009!

Thank you for googl'ing my name!

Contact me anytime for your internet development or marketing needs!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
i'll have 3 hours in between my flights, will that be enough?

I would think it depends on the time of day you arrive. My now husband arrived at his POE in Boston at 7am...no one was waiting in line so he went through rather quickly...30 minutes or so if I remember. I would think that later in the day *might* be a bit longer of a wait. Depends on the POE too, I would imagine.

But seriously, if you do go through JFK for the temp work stamp, it's only good for 90 days. After that you would have to be able to present a valid EAD. Unless you plan on marrying immediately to be able to file AOS/EAD then I would rethink the temp work stamp. Not trying to tell you what to do, just agreeing with fwaguy's post. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.