Tom&Angie

Early TB test and possible treatment

68 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Emma310 said:

I want to make sure i understood everything correctly. So, the interview will be scheduled prior to the medical exam. now, what happens if the medical turns out to be bad (the 2-month sputum, and 6-month treatment)? geowrian mentioned and i quote " They will not pass her medical until she is treated and cleared, and you cannot have the visa issued until she has passed the medical". So, if the 2-month sputum will be needed (negative or positive), will the interview be rescheduled? or will the interview still proceed and k1 can still get approved but they wont issue the k1 visa until the beneficiary is medically cleared?

You will schedule the interview. If sputum is required and/or treatment needed and you need to reschedule the interview, you can reschedule it up to 2 times before having to pay the $265 MRV fee again.

You must complete the DS-160 before the medical exam, but you can schedule the interview anytime afterwards.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Emma310 said:

Hank_ and  geowrian you are both very helpful 🙂

I want to make sure i understood everything correctly. So, the interview will be scheduled prior to the medical exam. now, what happens if the medical turns out to be bad (the 2-month sputum, and 6-month treatment)? geowrian mentioned and i quote " They will not pass her medical until she is treated and cleared, and you cannot have the visa issued until she has passed the medical". So, if the 2-month sputum will be needed (negative or positive), will the interview be rescheduled? or will the interview still proceed and k1 can still get approved but they wont issue the k1 visa until the beneficiary is medically cleared? 

im sorry for asking too many questions. i've done research about k1 but this TB thing never came up and when it did, it just confused the sh*t out of me. 

If you need to completed SPUTUM (culture testing) and maybe DOT .. then yes you will cancel your interview, rescheduling at a later date when you are good to go with SLEC.     

You can't attend the interview at USEM until after you complete the medical.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

hi geowrian

i have a question about your statement:

"First thing I would note is that SLEC will not accept any other center's treatment until they are cleared for 1 year."

As previously mentioned, my pre-employment xray shows possible TB infection. I am yet to see a pulmonologist later for further testing and confirmation. I understand that only SLEC's treatment and findings are accepted, but I also want to get my condition treated asap (if ever I am positive). My question is:

1. (Worst case scenario) If the results are bad and I need to start treatment, and let's say that treatment would still be ongoing by the time I go to SLEC, what would happen? I understand that I have to declare everything. I cannot find any online posts or forums of k1 applicants having TB treatment from other facilities during a visa medical exam. 

2. What do you mean by "until they are cleared for 1 year"?  Can you explain this further, please. 

Also, if you can answer my questions, can you send me links to those official websites that say so. I really appreciate your help. 

I found this from travel.state.gov: But it doesnt really tell me what will happen..what the doctors in SLEC will do.

What if the applicant is being treated for a chronic medical condition or is taking medication on a regular basis?

Applicants being treated for chronic medical conditions, or those taking medications on a regular basis, should be familiar with the medical conditions being treated, and the names of the medications they are taking. Applicants unsure of their diagnoses must present a certificate describing the condition(s), the current treatment, and prognosis with a list of prescribed medications.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/medical-examination-faqs.html

Edited by Emma310
addendum

13 minutes ago, Emma310 said:

hi geowrian

i have a question about your statement:

"First thing I would note is that SLEC will not accept any other center's treatment until they are cleared for 1 year."

As previously mentioned, my pre-employment xray shows possible TB infection. I am yet to see a pulmonologist later for further testing and confirmation. I understand that only SLEC's treatment and findings are accepted, but I also want to get my condition treated asap (if ever I am positive). My question is:

1. (Worst case scenario) If the results are bad and I need to start treatment, and let's say that treatment would still be ongoing by the time I go to SLEC, what would happen? I understand that I have to declare everything. I cannot find any online posts or forums of k1 applicants having TB treatment from other facilities during a visa medical exam. 

2. What do you mean by "until they are cleared for 1 year"?  Can you explain this further, please. 

Also, if you can answer my questions, can you send me links to those official websites that say so. I really appreciate your help. 

I found this from travel.state.gov: But it doesnt really tell me what will happen..what the doctors in SLEC will do.

What if the applicant is being treated for a chronic medical condition or is taking medication on a regular basis?

Applicants being treated for chronic medical conditions, or those taking medications on a regular basis, should be familiar with the medical conditions being treated, and the names of the medications they are taking. Applicants unsure of their diagnoses must present a certificate describing the condition(s), the current treatment, and prognosis with a list of prescribed medications.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/medical-examination-faqs.html

1. If you are already being treated by SLEC, then you would just keep doing the treatment until complete. No reason to do the medical exam ASAP when you know it won't pass...you would need to hold off on the immigration medical exam until treatment is complete.
    1. If you would be treated outside SLEC, it's basically the same...except see the response in #2 below.
  2. It means that you must have completed the treatment in full, wait a year, then do the medical examination at SLEC. SLEC will not accept treatment obtained elsewhere without the 1 year wait.
    1. Basically, other people have stopped treatment after a few weeks because symptoms went away so they didn't thin kit was necessary anymore. The TB then grows back stronger / more resistant. The 1 year period is to see if the TB grows back due to incomplete treatment.

This is a SLEC policy based on CDC guidelines.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline

If i dont want to wait for 1 year after my treatment from other facilities outside SLEC, is that possible? will they allow that? and does that mean that I will just start the treatment over at SLEC (as if my previous treatment never existed)? 

and also, let's say i was able to complete my treatment at another facility. and my XRay at SLEC came out negative of TB, but Im declaring that i just recently finished treatment, will SLEC still consider me as TB positive? 

Timeline

@Hank_ thank you for the link. However, that particular case is IF it was SLEC who found the applicant positive for TB. In my case, the testing will be done prior to going to SLEC. 

i think im confusing myself. I think i know the answers to my own questions. Im sorry. So if the treatment is done and completed at another facility (prior to the medical exam at SLEC), and sputum smear test come out negative at SLEC, then there shouldnt be anymore problems, right? because at the end of the day, it is SLEC's  findings that matter. Is that right? If tests results at SLEC are negative, then there's no point questioning whether or not the treatment from another facility is recent. am i correct?

And also, i just realized that my previous questions dont make sense. lol. like why would SLEC tag the applicant TB positive if the test results state otherwise. 

48 minutes ago, Emma310 said:

If i dont want to wait for 1 year after my treatment from other facilities outside SLEC, is that possible? will they allow that? and does that mean that I will just start the treatment over at SLEC (as if my previous treatment never existed)? 

and also, let's say i was able to complete my treatment at another facility. and my XRay at SLEC came out negative of TB, but Im declaring that i just recently finished treatment, will SLEC still consider me as TB positive? 

If you don't want to wait the 1 year, that's one option. But they won't release the medical results needed for immigration unless either they perform the treatment or the 1 year waiting period is over and they confirm that there is no more TB.

At the end of the 1 year waiting period, you would need to be examined by SLEC. If the treatment was complete, then no treatment is needed from them. Although going through sputum testing again may happen either way (~2 month wait).

I'll defer to Hank here, but I think somebody can be treated at SLEC beforehand, then do the medical there without having the waiting period.

If you were to do the treatment anywhere other than SLEC, you will need to go through the 1 yer waiting period regardless of what an x-ray would show. It's not a matter of them tagging you as TB positive...it's a matter of policy/protocol to ensure TB was properly treated.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline

geowrian  i see. bc i really want to get treatment now/asap (if confirmed) before this gets worse, for the sake of my own health. So i guess, the shortest route for me will be repeat treatment at SLEC, to avoid that 1 year waiting period. 

geowrian and Hank_Thank you so much for your help

Timeline
1 hour ago, Emma310 said:

@Hank_ thank you for the link. However, that particular case is IF it was SLEC who found the applicant positive for TB. In my case, the testing will be done prior to going to SLEC. 

i think im confusing myself. I think i know the answers to my own questions. Im sorry. So if the treatment is done and completed at another facility (prior to the medical exam at SLEC), and sputum smear test come out negative at SLEC, then there shouldnt be anymore problems, right? because at the end of the day, it is SLEC's  findings that matter. Is that right? If tests results at SLEC are negative, then there's no point questioning whether or not the treatment from another facility is recent. am i correct?

And also, i just realized that my previous questions dont make sense. lol. like why would SLEC tag the applicant TB positive if the test results state otherwise. 

Doesn't matter if it was found outside SLEC or not .. it is where the testing/treatment was completed... treatment outside of SLEC is the issue

TB causes scaring of the lungs, if the X-ray shows scaring .. SLEC will request SPUTUM.

Correct if SPUTUM is needed according to SLEC and the culture is negative then all is good to move forward after that.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, Hank_ said:

Testing will be completed at SLEC if your medical shows need to complete the SPUTUM.   Does not matter what you bring from an outside facility, SLEC has to follow protocol.

If SPUTUM is positive you will then have to complete DOT through SLEC (6 months)

I posted a link to the requirements for the medical at SLEC in my earlier post.  Do read it.

Without your MNL# I don't see a way to complete the medical early.

Is this the link you are referring to: https://slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#kvisa

On multiple browsers I am getting just a blank page.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/18/2018 at 9:09 AM, Hank_ said:

Doesn't matter if it was found outside SLEC or not .. it is where the testing/treatment was completed... treatment outside of SLEC is the issue

TB causes scaring of the lungs, if the X-ray shows scaring .. SLEC will request SPUTUM.

Correct if SPUTUM is needed according to SLEC and the culture is negative then all is good to move forward after that.

"So if the treatment is done and completed at another facility (prior to the medical exam at SLEC), and sputum smear test come out negative at SLEC, then there shouldnt be anymore problems, right? because at the end of the day, it is SLEC's  findings that matter. Is that right? If tests results at SLEC are negative, then there's no point questioning whether or not the treatment from another facility is recent. am i correct?"

"Correct if SPUTUM is needed according to SLEC and the culture is negative then all is good to move forward after that."   

This right here is what seems key to our situation (My fiancee had TB in the past and it does show in x rays).

If I am understanding clearly, the best approach is to make sure you can pass a 60 day sputum test BEFORE ever taking the medical exam at St. Lukes.

If you can pass you are good. If you can not pass, it seems like the best approach would be to get treatment and know you can pass the sputum test before ever going to St. Lukes.

If I am understanding this right, delay is big time if St. Lukes catches it, but if you get treated and can pass the test, there is no delay beyond the 2 month sputum test because of x ray scarring.

Is this correct?

Timeline
10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Is this the link you are referring to: https://slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#kvisa

On multiple browsers I am getting just a blank page.

SLEC changed their website    https://slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.php#kvisa

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

"So if the treatment is done and completed at another facility (prior to the medical exam at SLEC), and sputum smear test come out negative at SLEC, then there shouldnt be anymore problems, right? because at the end of the day, it is SLEC's  findings that matter. Is that right? If tests results at SLEC are negative, then there's no point questioning whether or not the treatment from another facility is recent. am i correct?"

"Correct if SPUTUM is needed according to SLEC and the culture is negative then all is good to move forward after that."   

This right here is what seems key to our situation (My fiancee had TB in the past and it does show in x rays).

If I am understanding clearly, 1) the best approach is to make sure you can pass a 60 day sputum test BEFORE ever taking the medical exam at St. Lukes.

If you can pass you are good. If you can not pass, it 2)  seems like the best approach would be to get treatment and know you can pass the sputum test before ever going to St. Lukes.

If I am understanding this right, delay is big time if St. Lukes catches it, but if you get treated and can pass the test, there is no delay beyond the 2 month sputum test because of x ray scarring.

Is this correct?

1)  That is impossible.  The need for SPUTUM is determined from the X-ray, if there are indicators in the X-ray regarding the lungs the doctor will order SPUTUM.

2)  Treatment for TB is a 6 month process.  When going to SLEC .. DON'T lie.   If there was TB treatment outside of SLEC they are required to wait 1 YEAR before completing the medical.

Follow the process.  Figuring ways to sidestep the system could be considered fraud .. that can result in a LIFETIME ban.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.