SoCalMan

DV 2019 Question Regarding Job Qualifications

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I first would like to thank everyone for taking their time out to answer all questions.

I posted a similar thread a while back regarding my german girlfriend entering the DV which is coming up soon But this is regarding the actual interview. My question is, if she does win, and is interviewed but then denied because her job does not meet the qualifications, will it still be possible to then file for the K-1 Visa years later? or will they see that she was denied at the DV interview and deny the K-1 also?

Her job occupation is "Junior Accountant Controller" but she says it's not really an accountant job. So it sounds like her position is quite low and will not meet the qualifications. Her education is just high-school. Her English also at the moment is OK, but for a job she has a lot more to learn.

We both want to make sure just in case she is denied at the interview,  we can still file for the K-1 Visa.

Reason we are not filing the K1 first is, I'm going through financial troubles and starting a new career which will take time to show 3 years of solid work. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think 3 years of solid work/and tax forms is the minimum amount of years?

Thanks again everyone. We just want to make sure we do things the right way and prevent making big mistakes.

Take care.

If she has a completed high school education then she's qualified for DV - you don't need to worry about her work experience. 

A denial because of a DV-specific eligibility wouldn't affect a future immigrant visa application. 

16 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If she has a completed high school education then she's qualified for DV - you don't need to worry about her work experience. 

A denial because of a DV-specific eligibility wouldn't affect a future immigrant visa application. 

Thanks for your response SusieQQQ. The reason I asked about the job qualifications is because I read that the job must have a SVP rating 7.0 or higher. I'm not sure if Junior Controller Accounting is that high from what I have checked on the www.onetonline.com website.

Thanks again.

Edited by SoCalMan

2 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

Thanks for your response SusieQQQ. The reason I asked about the job qualifications is because I read that the job must have a SVP rating 7.0 or higher. I'm not sure if Junior Controller Accounting is that high from what I have checked on the www.onetonline.com website.

Thanks again.

Again - if she has a high school education it doesn't matter what her work is. The qualification for DV is EITHER high school OR work experience at the required level. You don't need both. 

Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Again - if she has a high school education it doesn't matter what her work is. The qualification for DV is EITHER high school OR work experience at the required level. You don't need both. 

Thank you SusieQQQ! That's a very big relief. Much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Why are you going with a long shot when you could easily petition her (k-1 or cr-1)? 

Where's the harm? It's quick and free to enter, and if she happens to win it's a cheaper and easier process - and better for her as she gets an unconditional green card as soon as she enters the US. If it doesn't work out obviously they have the back up.

Edited by SusieQQQ

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Where's the harm? It's quick and free to enter, and if she happens to win it's a cheaper and easier process - and better for her as she gets an unconditional green card as soon as she enters the US. If it doesn't work out obviously they have the back up.

Pretty much what SusieQQQ said.

And I stated above my reason. I'm starting a career in real estate and right now can't support her financially. I'm still living with my roommate at the moment. And from what I've read the Petitioner needs to show 3 years of solid work and paying taxes. So the K1 or C1 route would take around 4-5 years.

SusieQQQ I forgot to ask (ugh I know another question)
How soon would she have to move to the US if she wins and is accepted?

Thank you so much for your help SusieQQQ. I greatly appreciate it.

37 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

Pretty much what SusieQQQ said.

And I stated above my reason. I'm starting a career in real estate and right now can't support her financially. I'm still living with my roommate at the moment. And from what I've read the Petitioner needs to show 3 years of solid work and paying taxes. So the K1 or C1 route would take around 4-5 years.

SusieQQQ I forgot to ask (ugh I know another question)
How soon would she have to move to the US if she wins and is accepted?

Thank you so much for your help SusieQQQ. I greatly appreciate it.

Ok - just remember the IF she wins is a long shot!

depending on her assigned case number, her visa would be issued anywhere between Oct 2018 to Sept 2019 (though in practice most visas are issued by August of the fiscal year). She would have to enter before her visa expires, which would be a maximum of 6 months after issue, but usually slightly less as it's tied to the 6-month expiry of her medical exam which would happen (usually) a couple of weeks before her interview. So she could theoretically land anywhere between October 2018 (if she has a low case number and leaves as soon as she gets her visa) and March 2020 (if she is one of the last visas issued and pushes it to maximum expiry). 

Now suggest you keep any more questions to ask in May IF she wins ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.