caroledfb

US bank with good exchange rate Euro/Dollar?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi all,

Does anybody know a US bank (in Caifornia) offering good exchange rates for wire transfers from European banks?

I have no choice, I will receive Euros directly and not dollars but all US banks I checked had a bad echange rate :angry:

Thanks!

- Carole -

K1 journey (2006) - the toughest one!

03/30/06 - I-129F mailed

07/31/06 - NOA2

08/26/06 - Packet 3 received

09/07/06 - Checklist sent back to Embassy

09/16/06 - Packet 4 received

10/03/06 - Interview

10/07/06 - Visa received by post

10/22/06 - Entered USA

01/06/07 - Wedding :-)

AOS journey (2007) - getting easier!

01/18/07 - AOS and EAD applications sent (USPS)

01/23/07 - NOA received

02/14/07 - Biometrics appointment

03/16/07 - Initial interview for AOS

04/08/07 - EAD card received

06/11/07 - CA Driver's License. EAD was needed to be allowed to pass the test in CA :((

07/23/07 - CONDITIONAL GREEN CARD!

I-751 journey (2009) - so much easier!

04/27/09 - Sent I-751 by regular mail

04/29/09 - NOA1 (received by mail on 05/12/09)

07/01/09 - Biometrics appointment (received by mail on 06/20/09)

07/25/09 - Approved - card in preparation (received by mail on 07/31/09)

07/29/09 - Card produced (received by mail on 08/05/09)

Taking a break from USCIS before applying for citizenship...

----

Hi all,

Does anybody know a US bank (in Caifornia) offering good exchange rates for wire transfers from European banks?

I have no choice, I will receive Euros directly and not dollars but all US banks I checked had a bad echange rate :angry:

Thanks!

All banks charge a 3%+ surcharge on incoming transfers that involve a different currency. The only way to avoid this, is to have someone in the EU locally transfer the cash & send. Otherwise, no luck :(

12140.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You can register with a foreign exchange service such as www.ozforex.com or www.xetrade.com. Their rates are much better than any banks. They require a little effort up front--you must upload a copy of your passport and a signed application. Then they will call you to ask you a few questions as part of their compliance procedures. But their rates are much, much better than any banks. I personally would recommend ozforex, as their rates seem a little bit better than xetrade. But it depends how much money you're transfering. Ozforex has a minimum of $2000 Australian Dollars requirement, and for amounts under $10,000 Australian Dollars, they charge a $15 fee. They do not charge for wires, however, whereas xetrade seems to charge for sending a wire. What happens is that you send them your money, they do the conversion, and then send it to your bank.

Hope this information helps!

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi all,

Thanks!

All banks charge a 3%+ surcharge on incoming transfers that involve a different currency. The only way to avoid this, is to have someone in the EU locally transfer the cash & send. Otherwise, no luck :(

December 11, 2006: I-130 Petition signed for in Frankfurt.

December 21, 2006: Credit Card charged $190.

February 6, 2007: Heard back from Frankfurt. They want proof that our relationship is bonafide.

February 8, 2007: Sent proof (old emails, joint bank account statements, story of how we met)

February 24, 2007: I-130 Approved. Received Packet 3 in the mail.

February 26, 2007: Faxed OF-169 (checklist) to Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt; Mailed back DS-230 Part I

March 2, 2007: Received Packet 4 (Interview Appointment Scheduled)

April 2, 2007: Interview in Frankfurt; Visa Approved!

April 5, 2007: Visa received.

June 27, 2007: POE Boston.

July 23, 2007: Went to local social security office and applied for number in person (although D had checked off the box to receive one on the DS-230).

July 30, 2007: Daniel received his social security number and greencard in the mail.

March 31, 2009: Mailed I-751 to Vermont USCIS

April 2, 2009: I-751 application received (saw this with USPS tracking)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.