13 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im a  j1 visa holder .im from philippines. My visa expired on 2018 april . I have a good and beautiful girlfriend shes a a pure american and shes very open minded about my status here in SC shes also willing to marry me before my visa expired. We love each other so much. This coming october we book a flight to hawaii for a vacation. And thats the place i want to ask for her hands and propos.

my question is . Do we have a chance to get approve by the immigration if i apply for citizenship?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes. You are legally in the U.S. under a j-1 status. You can get married and then have her petition an adjustment of status for your green card. You will obtain a conditional green card valid for two year, because you would be married for less than two years. Afterwards you guys would have to petition a removal of conditions.

Very important to make sure you are not subject to the two year home residency rule on your J-1 visa.

Timeline
Just now, monica7777 said:

Yes. You are legally in the U.S. under a j-1 status. You can get married and then have her petition an adjustment of status for your green card. You will obtain a conditional green card valid for two year, because you would be married for less than two years. Afterwards you guys would have to petition a removal of conditions.

Very important to make sure you are not subject to the two year home residency rule on your J-1 visa.

How can i be sure im not subject to two year home residency rule? Thank for the respons

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Renan said:

How can i be sure im not subject to two year home residency rule? Thank for the respons

If you are, it will be indicated on your J-1 visa stamp

Here is a photo:

visa.png

Timeline

If you are, it will be indicated on your J-1 visa stamp

Here is a photo:

visa.png

It said in my passport "not subject to INA section. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Renan said:

It said in my passport "not subject to INA section. 

Wonderful! Then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your wedding plans!

Timeline

Wonderful! Then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your wedding plans!

So meaning to say that i need to get married before end of my visa so i wont have to go back?thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS From Work, Student and Tourist Visa, from K1 P&P - As the OP is in the US on a J1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
Just now, Ontarkie said:

~~Moved to AOS From Work, Student and Tourist Visa, from K1 P&P - As the OP is in the US on a J1~~

What is aos. Idk the terms sir. Its just my first month here . Thanks tho. I wil ckech that terms on google

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Renan said:

What is aos. Idk the terms sir. Its just my first month here . Thanks tho. I wil ckech that terms on google

Not a sir :no:

AOS = Adjustment of Status. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
13 hours ago, Renan said:

So meaning to say that i need to get married before end of my visa so i wont have to go back?thank you

Yes, you should plan to get married before your visa expires and then have your wife file for your Adjustment of Status. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
On 9/24/2017 at 11:38 PM, Renan said:

Hawaii is the perfect place to get married...Take a lot of wedding and vacation photos...lol....You will be killing two birds with a stone....Vacation, marriage and honeymoon....

Then you can come back to South Carolina and apply for Adjustment of Status since you have to put in your paperwork before the expiration of your visa...

Good luck.... Also check the forum for the guides on steps to AOS...it is well detailed here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.