BobEggshell

Got an interview date. Questions on what to bring

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife got her interview date. October 30.

I got the checklist on what to bring to the interview. But I am a little confused about one part.

For family-based visa applications:

-The appropriate Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor along with a photocopy of the sponsor’s IRS transcript or most recent U.S. federal income tax return, and any relevant W-2s.

-Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States. (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card).

-Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant (for example, photographs and letters).

Since this is just a single visa application and we did the I-864EZ, can I ignore this?

Also, should my wife bring anything else to the interview other than what is on the check list?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'd say send the said documents that's mentioned in the checklist or else they might put the case on Administrative Processing during the interview. I did apply for a K-1 visa but the documents are quite similar to IR1/CR1.....i did had to take the affidavit of support(which was asked) and relationship proof(which the visa officer didnt ask at all) and i had to take my fiancee's passport photocopies.

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
17 hours ago, BobEggshell said:

I got the checklist on what to bring to the interview. But I am a little confused about one part.

-The appropriate Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor along with a photocopy of the sponsor’s IRS transcript or most recent U.S. federal income tax return, and any relevant W-2s.

-Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States. (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card).

-Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant (for example, photographs and letters).

Since this is just a single visa application and we did the I-864EZ, can I ignore this?

Also, should my wife bring anything else to the interview other than what is on the check list?

I would recommend taking all of the documents that you submitted to the NVC, plus the ones that are on the list. Make sure you have the proper financial documents and proof of bona fide marriage. These seem to be the two sticklers for many people.

Did you support your tax return or tax transcript to the NVC originally? Either way, make sure to bring those returns/transcripts as well as the proof of status. The evidence of relationship can take many different forms. My wife used a variety of pictures, text transcripts, and some personal cards to establish this. As long as its relevant and can help show that your relationship is real... it is likely worth bringing. Lean on the side of bringing too much, rather than too little. 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, BobEggshell said:

Its a huge mistake to ignore any request or requirement for information. Leaving anything out will result in an RFE

Timeline
20 hours ago, John&Jojo said:

I would recommend taking all of the documents that you submitted to the NVC, plus the ones that are on the list. Make sure you have the proper financial documents and proof of bona fide marriage. These seem to be the two sticklers for many people.

Did you support your tax return or tax transcript to the NVC originally? Either way, make sure to bring those returns/transcripts as well as the proof of status. The evidence of relationship can take many different forms. My wife used a variety of pictures, text transcripts, and some personal cards to establish this. As long as its relevant and can help show that your relationship is real... it is likely worth bringing. Lean on the side of bringing too much, rather than too little. 

I sent both my tax returns and tax transcripts. My wife has had a US Tax ID number since 2010 (the year we got married), and we have been filing US taxes jointly ever since. The last 2 years we have been filing US taxes jointly with our daughter as a dependent. I'll make sure sure she brings copies.

Proof of bona fide marriage is easy. We have a marriage certificate and english translations.

Proper financial documents is also easy. I'll have her bring a copy of the AoS and supporting documents.

Evidence of relationship is no problem. We have thousands of pictures of us together, of us with her family and of us with our daughter. She also has a US credit card. I'll have her bring bank statements showing her name and my US address for the last 3-4 years. We also have a US checking account together; I'll print out statements for that as well.

Thanks for the information.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ning said:

Its a huge mistake to ignore any request or requirement for information. Leaving anything out will result in an RFE

I never said we were going to ignore any request or requirement for information!

I said we have the checklist and will provide 100% of everything on it.

I was wondering if there was anything in addition to the checklist I should have my wife bring to her interview.

Someone else suggested bringing proof of our relationship and financial documents to the interview. We will do that as we have everything documented and easily available. We made multiple copies of everything at every step of the say. Both electronic and physical copies.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, BobEggshell said:

I never said we were going to ignore any request or requirement for information!

I said we have the checklist and will provide 100% of everything on it.

I was wondering if there was anything in addition to the checklist I should have my wife bring to her interview.

Someone else suggested bringing proof of our relationship and financial documents to the interview. We will do that as we have everything documented and easily available. We made multiple copies of everything at every step of the say. Both electronic and physical copies.

" Since this is just a single visa application and we did the I-864EZ, can I ignore this" ?  

They have what has been submitted & wouldn't do the interview if they needed something else. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.