Jump to content

Reapplying for Green Card

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good day, 

in 2015 i took up a job offer for the government of my home country and signed form i-407 to voluntarily abandon green card. I want to re-apply for my GC, but the only way i can do this is through my father who is a green card holder. The only problem is that my father has never actually worked in the USA since he got his green card - no US tax returns. 

I have a valid tourist visa, and want to apply for adjustment of status. Can my uncle file my Affidavit of support?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



you can't file for adjustment of status, if your dad doesn't work, he will need a joint sponsor


the petition takes many years. what country are you from


the least that the petition takes is over 6 years for a child over 21 of a LPR, depending on the country it can take more


you have to start over from scratch, you only keep your Alien number, the numbers are the same and if you had a social security number it will be the same, those numbers are given for life. but the wait is starting over, so as said, over 6 years and you can't marry if your dad is still a legal resident, until after you have entered the country


so have him fill out the i130 as soon as possible, you can come and visit but never overstay, since there is no adjustment of status and overstay isn't forgiven



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooner your father files the quicker it will be.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.