howswedeitis

Stuck in Administrative Processing

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my case situation, what to expect etc. My case is a little different, I guess, so I'll go through the details.

I'm Swedish, I live in Australia and my girlfriend is American, we started dating a few years ago. During that time (and before) I have traveled a lot around the world in my job. In April I arrived with the intention to visit my partner in Texas. I also openly planned to teach two workshops, something I've done in other countries without applying for anything outside the ESTA i'm on.

When queried about the workshops I found out I wasn't allowed to do them and I was interrogated and deported the same day. The officer who interviewed me said to return home and reapply for a new ESTA and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it turns out I couldn't reapply for an ESTA (it was declined several times), so I set up an interview at the consulate in Sydney for a B1/B2. At the interview the CO asked me about my deportation and I was honest and said what happened. He said he'd approve the B1 and I almost cried of relief. But then he suddenly said he'd spoken too soon and handed me a yellow 221g slip to fill out. I was asked to provide every country I had visited in the last 15 years, addresses where I've lived and previous employment etc.

I filled this out and sent it back and waited 60 days before contacting the consulate again.

I got a standard response back saying that my case was still in administrative processing and that each case is different etc, etc.

It's now been 90 days and my case has still not been updated once since I sent the information back.

I'm trying to understand what happened. Was there something on my DS-160 that was flagged and prompted the 221g? I come from a low risk country (Sweden). I also have military experience from the army, could it have been that? I have also visited a LOT of countries for work, some of them muslim. Or was it something with being deported even though the officers who deported me said I shouldn't have a problem getting a new visa? I know people get stuck in AP for a long time, but I just want some clarity and what to realistically expect. 

My partner and I are trying to plan our lives and the limbo is extremely hard.

I think you got the DS 3035 form. Where you ask about social media accounts too?

There are threads on this form on the work and student forums. People there have been waiting on AP for a long while too. I haven't seen anyone on VJ who got the visa after filling in that form. They have been waiting. Probably because it is new nobody knows what to do.

By the way, workshops are work so you cannot do them in the US. Other countries are much more flexible about immigration; not the US.

OK. I think you'll just have to wait. To me, you got the form because you travel frequently all over the world. 

The long wait is not necessarily a sign that you won't get the visa. They've just implemented more security checks and I'm pretty they don't know how to go about it and if they want to check your information, it is going to be hard for them. Who knows what they are doing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you were Deported as opposed to being allowed to withdraw your application you will have a ban that would need to be waived.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I waited 6 months to get my vise ,, it's ok my friend ! american embassies processing time is highly unpredictable ! but to make you feel better since they had not denied you during the interview you'll will be soon issued 10 years visa ! ... and btw MUSLIM countries have nothing to do with visa issuance denial or delay !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Haideraaz

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2017 at 6:31 AM, jan22 said:

What field do you work in?

Have you traveled to Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, or Yemen since March 1, 2911?

These two things come to mind quickly as a possible cause for administrative processing.

Yes, it might a reason for administrative processing, I travelled in one the above mentioned countries and visa officer asked me why you have been in xx country and after explaination he gave me 221g slip and said he need more time to review my application today seventh day no update application status shows administrative processing and visa officer kept my passport after interview.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Juliaaaaa said:

Yes, it might a reason for administrative processing, I travelled in one the above mentioned countries and visa officer asked me why you have been in xx country and after explaination he gave me 221g slip and said he need more time to review my application today seventh day no update application status shows administrative processing and visa officer kept my passport after interview.

Why are you bumping a 13+ month old thread?

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2017 at 5:02 AM, howswedeitis said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my case situation, what to expect etc. My case is a little different, I guess, so I'll go through the details.

I'm Swedish, I live in Australia and my girlfriend is American, we started dating a few years ago. During that time (and before) I have traveled a lot around the world in my job. In April I arrived with the intention to visit my partner in Texas. I also openly planned to teach two workshops, something I've done in other countries without applying for anything outside the ESTA i'm on.

When queried about the workshops I found out I wasn't allowed to do them and I was interrogated and deported the same day. The officer who interviewed me said to return home and reapply for a new ESTA and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it turns out I couldn't reapply for an ESTA (it was declined several times), so I set up an interview at the consulate in Sydney for a B1/B2. At the interview the CO asked me about my deportation and I was honest and said what happened. He said he'd approve the B1 and I almost cried of relief. But then he suddenly said he'd spoken too soon and handed me a yellow 221g slip to fill out. I was asked to provide every country I had visited in the last 15 years, addresses where I've lived and previous employment etc.

I filled this out and sent it back and waited 60 days before contacting the consulate again.

I got a standard response back saying that my case was still in administrative processing and that each case is different etc, etc.

It's now been 90 days and my case has still not been updated once since I sent the information back.

I'm trying to understand what happened. Was there something on my DS-160 that was flagged and prompted the 221g? I come from a low risk country (Sweden). I also have military experience from the army, could it have been that? I have also visited a LOT of countries for work, some of them muslim. Or was it something with being deported even though the officers who deported me said I shouldn't have a problem getting a new visa? I know people get stuck in AP for a long time, but I just want some clarity and what to realistically expect. 

My partner and I are trying to plan our lives and the limbo is extremely hard.

Hi any update ? U got the visa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.