8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

So I am in the middle of the AOS application from K1 visa, obtained my EAD and advance parole, waiting for my interview to happen (been 3-4 months since they receive my application). Takes forever in NY.

So me and my husband is looking into going back to Hong Kong (we were both born there, he is the US citizen) to see some family since we got married.

I was like probably couple days late (like a week) sending in my AOS forms after that 90 days. I saw online that usually such short period of time does not cause problem even if you travel (don't know if it's true).

So question 1 is, is it risky? especially with the whole Trump foreign policy nowadays.

Question 2, let's say it's relatively safe to travel (we all know how they stress there's NO GUARANTEE for re-entry, noted.) When I fly back to the US from Hong Kong, what should I show the check in counter? Since the K-1 visa is already expired and the EAD+ AP card does not look like a travel document. What do you guys recommend? My notice of action forms? Not every check-in lady knows that deep into all country's visa I am sure. I want to be prepared.

P.S. what do you guys think about those non-profit immigration help organizations? anyone had any luck?

Thank you so much for anyone's reply.

April ( A desperate "alien"that recently receive a letter telling me that IRS wanna keep tab on my foreign bank account too. I am exhausted.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
29 minutes ago, aprilfu1989 said:

Question 2, let's say it's relatively safe to travel (we all know how they stress there's NO GUARANTEE for re-entry, noted.) When I fly back to the US from Hong Kong, what should I show the check in counter? Since the K-1 visa is already expired and the EAD+ AP card does not look like a travel document. What do you guys recommend? My notice of action forms? Not every check-in lady knows that deep into all country's visa I am sure. I want to be prepared.

Passport, EAD+AP and probably the NOA1 for the AOS to show you are in the process. Not sure how they can deny you entry since AP is designed for exactly that purpose ?

Edited by troika

Timeline
13 minutes ago, troika said:

Passport, EAD+AP and probably the NOA1 for the AOS to show you are in the process. Not sure how they can deny you entry since AP is designed for exactly that purpose ?

That's what I thought. But I feel like I can't assume the check in lady to know that deep/that well to all countries' visa and immigration process. Just in case she does not know what the AP stands for. But thank you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, aprilfu1989 said:

That's what I thought. But I feel like I can't assume the check in lady to know that deep/that well to all countries' visa and immigration process. Just in case she does not know what the AP stands for. But thank you. 

I am sure someone at checkin on an American bound flight should know the proper immigration procedures for America ;) ... have fun on Hong Kong !

Timeline
17 hours ago, troika said:

I am sure someone at checkin on an American bound flight should know the proper immigration procedures for America ;) ... have fun on Hong Kong !

Thank you. Fingers Crossed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.