9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

I applied for a replacement of my green card a year ago, I had my biometrics shortly after and a year went by without hearing back from them. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, I applied for my ROC and given I don't have my green card I sent in copies of the I-551 stamp in my passport as proof of residency.

Today I got a notification from the USCIS website saying that my I-90 case finally had an update. I checked it and it says that it was denied. So now I have to wait until the letter comes in the mail to know exactly why it was denied. But I'm starting to panic and I can only hope it's because I already filed for the ROC!

Any ideas on why it happened? :( this ruined my day

Thank you

Timeline
3 minutes ago, CookieCat said:

Answer to your question on page 1 first paragraph which I quote; https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-90instr.pdf:

"Conditional permanent residents may not use this application to replace, for any reason, an existing Permanent Resident Card that is expired or will expire within 90 days." 

Since you have filed for I-751, you will get a receipt notice extending your status for one 1 while USCIS is adjudicating your I-751. However it seems like you also have a I-551 stamp.

Oh, so it may have been because my two-year green card is already expired!??? The two-year anniversary was on the fourth! Which is why I filed for the ROC a couple of weeks ago! If this is the case, then I guess I should have nothing to worry about????

Thank you so much! I forgot about that detail! Haha they took so long to look at my case, my resident card isn't even valid anymore!

PS: And I do have an I-551 stamp which is valid until July I believe. I just got my ROC extension letter so I should be good for a year. I appreciate it!

Edited by AlessaEb

As stated, they probably came to adjudicate the I-90 and discovered the card had already expired, meaning they were prevented by policy from sending you a duplicate of a green card that has already expired. 

The good news is this won't affect your I-751.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

As stated, they probably came to adjudicate the I-90 and discovered the card had already expired, meaning they were prevented by policy from sending you a duplicate of a green card that has already expired. 

The good news is this won't affect your I-751.

13 minutes ago, CookieCat said:

Answer to your question on page 1 first paragraph which I quote; https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-90instr.pdf:

"Conditional permanent residents may not use this application to replace, for any reason, an existing Permanent Resident Card that is expired or will expire within 90 days." 

Since you have filed for I-751, you will get a receipt notice extending your status for one 1 while USCIS is adjudicating your I-751. However it seems like you also have a I-551 stamp.

Guys, you have no idea, you saved my day. Really!

I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, AlessaEb said:

Hello all,

I applied for a replacement of my green card a year ago, I had my biometrics shortly after and a year went by without hearing back from them. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, I applied for my ROC and given I don't have my green card I sent in copies of the I-551 stamp in my passport as proof of residency.

Today I got a notification from the USCIS website saying that my I-90 case finally had an update. I checked it and it says that it was denied. So now I have to wait until the letter comes in the mail to know exactly why it was denied. But I'm starting to panic and I can only hope it's because I already filed for the ROC!

Thank you

Am I am reading this right? You applied for a lost/stolen card a year ago and only now they are denying it?  WOW, WOW, WOW  I am speechless!!  I had my GC shortly before ROC. I waited for my extension letter for ROC so I could get a stamp in my passport. I was told I had to apply for an replacement card. I said that is ridiculous as it will cancel itself out and I will pay hundreds of dollars for a card I just wont receive. I was told yeah but you need the i90 to get a stamp in your passport.  I read I wasn't allowed to apply for a lost/stolen card due to ROC. I was devastated as it meant I was trapped in the USA with no means of visiting my son in Manchester, more important than ever to be able to travel to see him.

My husband wrote a complaint letter to the manager of the local field office. We received a letter to come in for a free stamp in my passport. The staff and security guards were wonderful professional and polite.  I got my stamp and I thought that was the end of it but it wasn't I had a follow up call from the manager himself to see if I had got my stamp. It was such a kind and nice gesture, really touched me.

As for your denial it has to be denied as it would be out of date, however if that was me in your position I would write a complaint letter about the hundreds of dollars you spent and did not receive what you paid for. After all you wouldnt order a filet steak, pay for it to be told by the restaurant manager the chef has gone home and you wont be getting your steak but we still expect you to pay for it!  You paid for a service you did not get and its just like rubbing salt into an open wound with you having the stress of either losing your card or getting it stolen!

Any way good luck with ROC lets hope they aren't as slow with providing you with your 10 year card!

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Timeline
22 minutes ago, shell20 said:

Am I am reading this right? You applied for a lost/stolen card a year ago and only now they are denying it?  WOW, WOW, WOW  I am speechless!!  I had my GC shortly before ROC. I waited for my extension letter for ROC so I could get a stamp in my passport. I was told I had to apply for an replacement card. I said that is ridiculous as it will cancel itself out and I will pay hundreds of dollars for a card I just wont receive. I was told yeah but you need the i90 to get a stamp in your passport.  I read I wasn't allowed to apply for a lost/stolen card due to ROC. I was devastated as it meant I was trapped in the USA with no means of visiting my son in Manchester, more important than ever to be able to travel to see him.

My husband wrote a complaint letter to the manager of the local field office. We received a letter to come in for a free stamp in my passport. The staff and security guards were wonderful professional and polite.  I got my stamp and I thought that was the end of it but it wasn't I had a follow up call from the manager himself to see if I had got my stamp. It was such a kind and nice gesture, really touched me.

As for your denial it has to be denied as it would be out of date, however if that was me in your position I would write a complaint letter about the hundreds of dollars you spent and did not receive what you paid for. After all you wouldnt order a filet steak, pay for it to be told by the restaurant manager the chef has gone home and you wont be getting your steak but we still expect you to pay for it!  You paid for a service you did not get and its just like rubbing salt into an open wound with you having the stress of either losing your card or getting it stolen!

Any way good luck with ROC lets hope they aren't as slow with providing you with your 10 year card!

Thanks for your reply! I agree with you 100%... although I sure am relieved that the reason it was denied probably had nothing to do with me, but rather with their not doing their job, it sure is frustrating to have paid all that money for nothing, yet I am not sure how I feel about writing a complaint letter as I've never made one! Is it "safe"? Who should I address it to? Also, although they will certainly not send me the I-90 fee back, it would be nice to hear back from them on this. Anyway, I'll wait until I get the denial letter in the mail to see how to proceed. Thanks for the advice and good luck to us!

Edited by AlessaEb

1 minute ago, AlessaEb said:

Thanks for your reply! I agree with you 100%... although I sure am relieved that the reason it was denied probably had nothing to do with me, but rather with their not doing their job, it sure is frustrating to have paid all that money for nothing, yet I am not sure how I feel about writing a complaint letter as I've never made one! Is it "safe"? Who should I address it to? I'll wait until I get the denial letter in the mail to see how to proceed. Thanks for the advice and good luck to us!

Yes, it is safe to write a complaint letter, you are entitled to write a complaint letter. You have done nothing wrong other than being the victim of misfortune, losing your gc or having it stolen. When my husband wrote to the field office I was a tad anxious about it as I didn't want to rock the boat, but when I sat down and actually thought about I realised we couldn't afford to do their bidding by paying out for a card I knew I would not receive. We had just paid out hundreds for a transportation letter, as I was in England when my card was stolen and then we had to pay out for ROC.

As for complaining they take it very seriously and the USCIS state that customers complaints must be taken seriously.   This is a link I found. Our complaint with was field office, yours will be with the processing center/centre. Don't worry they wont hold it against you, after all they are a business and they need feed back from their customers. Its up to you what you decide to do, I know I would personally claim but that's just me.  Good luck with what ever path you decide to take.  https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2010/11/five-questions-and-answers-how-to

1 hour ago, AlessaEb said:

Hello all,

Thank you

This is more up to date and talks about how they handle complaints. https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter6.html#S-A

Timeline
3 minutes ago, shell20 said:

This is more up to date and talks about how they handle complaints. https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter6.html#S-A

Thank you so much for all your help! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.