Ahmed & Amy

University Degree/Transcripts Notarized/Authenticated

5 posts in this topic

Does my husband need his university degree / transcripts to be authenticated/notarized by a US organization (i.e WES) or US Embassy in order for him to work in US (after he received his green card)?

A few months ago he got his university degree and transcripts translated into English from the University and then had them notarized by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

We are confused on whether or not he will be able to work in his field with his degree the way that it is now... translated and notarized by his country. 

He's currently working in the telecommunication field as a performance engineer which does not require any other licences or certifications. 

Please advise.

By the way we are IR-1

Thanks, Amy

Edited by Ahmed & Amy

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ahmed & Amy said:

Does my husband need his university degree / transcripts to be authenticated/notarized by a US organization (i.e WES) or US Embassy in order for him to work in US (after he received his green card)?

A few months ago he got his university degree and transcripts translated into English from the University and then had them notarized by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

We are confused on whether or not he will be able to work in his field with his degree the way that it is now... translated and notarized by his country. 

He's currently working in the telecommunication field as a performance engineer which does not require any other licences or certifications. 

Please advise.

By the way we are IR-1

Thanks, Amy

Salam alikom,

Just my opinion. I believe that he has to get his credential evaluated by a specific US entity to decide if his credential is the same as those similar in the US. After that he has to check the licensing requirements in his state. He might need to take some courses in the US to satisfy the minimum requirement of that state he is living in to just be eligible to set for the board exam. I think each US state board has different minimum education requirement that your husband must satisfy just to be eligible to set for the exam. After passing the state exam he must satisfy the profession's board buddy work experience requirements to be awarded the license. I suggest that he research and read a lot at the website of the board where you will live. In order to avoid surprises in his career he must research in details and ask questions. I wish you all the best.

4 hours ago, newday said:

Salam alikom,

Just my opinion. I believe that he has to get his credential evaluated by a specific US entity to decide if his credential is the same as those similar in the US. After that he has to check the licensing requirements in his state. He might need to take some courses in the US to satisfy the minimum requirement of that state he is living in to just be eligible to set for the board exam. I think each US state board has different minimum education requirement that your husband must satisfy just to be eligible to set for the exam. After passing the state exam he must satisfy the profession's board buddy work experience requirements to be awarded the license. I suggest that he research and read a lot at the website of the board where you will live. In order to avoid surprises in his career he must research in details and ask questions. I wish you all the best.

Wa alaikum salaam. Ramadan Mubarak! 

Thank you for your advice. We will research more into this. For his particular profession he does not require an licences or certificates, thus there is nothing that he would need at the state level in that regard. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Based on my experience, I was hired in my filed as mechanical engineer, without even revaluate my Egyptian degree, all they want is to see my degree in English and transcript with each subject I studied , and it was not even stamped from US embassy. Here they are more keen on your knowledge, and that you really can do what you say. I would get international driver's license it might help switch to USA driving license or not, I didn't have it so till now I'm not driving and have to do the whole test to drive.

Hope that cleared your question.

CR-1 Visa Journey

USCIS: Done

NVC: Done

Embassy : Interview Stage..

Interview DONE

POE  DONE

Card in Hand : Done

** ROC *****

NBC 

Sending File >> 1/7/2019

File received>> 1/9/2019

SMS Text Received >> 1/14/2019

Received biometric schedule letter >> 1/26/2109

6 minutes ago, theossmanfamily said:

Based on my experience, I was hired in my filed as mechanical engineer, without even revaluate my Egyptian degree, all they want is to see my degree in English and transcript with each subject I studied , and it was not even stamped from US embassy. Here they are more keen on your knowledge, and that you really can do what you say. I would get international driver's license it might help switch to USA driving license or not, I didn't have it so till now I'm not driving and have to do the whole test to drive.

Hope that cleared your question.

Thanks so much. Yes you cleared up everything we were wondering about. We've gotten so many mixed opinions, and most of which do not relate to our situation. 

Thanks again and I hope that everything is going well for you in the US. Ramadan Mubarak! :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.