PRC Rabbit

Court's divorce records for USC destroyed by flood

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hello all.  I (USC) was divorced in open court in '96.  The Court's computer records show when  my divorce was granted and by what judge. 

A flood destroyed thousands of files in the County Records storage facility and my divorce files were among those lost.

K1 NOA1 on 2-2-2017 based on the divorce records available online.

Attorney already submitted new divorce papers to get another judgment but it could take many months.

there are no outstanding divorce issues (eg minor children, etc) from '96 divorce.

This is a nightmare. 

What is Infopass and can that help my situation?

I have less than a year before our meeting in person expires.

Infopass is a face-to-face appointment with a USCIS employee at a USCIS office if you cannot get the answer you need by phone. 

For lost or unavailable documents they will often accept a sworn statement by you that the record is not available along with supporting evidence as to why (in your case, an official letter from the county clerk where you were divorced that confirms the record was lost due a natural disaster) and affidavits from persons who have personal knowledge of the event (people who knew you at the time you got divorced and who saw your divorce paperwork - maybe your parents or a good friend). 

Can you get a copy of the computerized record to back up your claim? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Yes. My divorce  is posted on the State Court's database "ecourts"  where it plainly states I was divorced on a certain date by a specific judge.

I looked at Infopass for NYC and it allows booking interviews only 14 days in advance but states no appointments available.

Is that something I must check  daily? I could not find anything about Infopass here on VJ.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update. Received RFE for  COC's. I answered Yes to the 3 convictions or more question (small stuff) but not for my missing Divorce Judgment.  That's good as I already have the COC's to send in and  will receive   Divorce Judgment signed by a new judge last week. Took 5 days to get RFE by mail after seeing it on USCIS Case Status.

Edited by PRC Rabbit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.