sbane12

Document translation - Japan

16 posts in this topic

So I am assuming I will need my Fiance's documents translated from Japanese into English.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a place like that in Tokyo, even Google doesn't help.

I want to have her Police certificate, Single status certificate, and copy of her residence card translated into english

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Maybe @Nghi T Pham might help you. His beneficiary is getting (or already had) interview in US Embassy- Japan. 

K1 Journey : Service Center: California Service Center + Consulate: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

USCIS I-129F Receive Date:  January 13th, 2017

USCIS I-129F NOA2 Date:  April 27th, 2017 (105 Active days )

NVC Received: May 19th, 2017

NVC Left : May 26th, 2017

Packet 3 Received : June 12th, 2017

Interview Date : July 28th, 2017  - Approved

AOS Journey: 

AOS package (I 485, I765, I131) sent: Jan 10th, 2018

USCIS Lockbox Chicago received: Jan 12th, 2018

NOA 1 hard copies received: Jan 22nd, 2018

Bio-metric Appointment Letter received: Jan 26th, 2018

Bio-metric Appointment date: Feb 6th, 2018

Interview date: April 23rd, 2018

Approval date: May 20th 2018

ROC Journey:

Package sent: 02/25/20

USCIS Lockbox Phoenix received: 02/27/20

Text received with case ; check cashed: 03/04/20

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Asia/East & Pacific regional forum for possible insider advice. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
12 hours ago, sbane12 said:

So I am assuming I will need my Fiance's documents translated from Japanese into English.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a place like that in Tokyo, even Google doesn't help.

I want to have her Police certificate, Single status certificate, and copy of her residence card translated into english

Any help would be appreciated.

For the most part that your documents was sealed i.e Police Certificate, you don't have to translate to English. Resident Card need a copy only (front and back), Single Status was not require for my fiance but try to check around the Embassy or Consulate near you, they should have the place that translate all documents.

5 hours ago, Nghi T Pham said:

For the most part that your documents was sealed i.e Police Certificate, you don't have to translate to English. Resident Card need a copy only (front and back), Single Status was not require for my fiance but try to check around the Embassy or Consulate near you, they should have the place that translate all documents.

Thanks for the help. So you didn't have to get the copy of the resident card translated?

Timeline
7 hours ago, sbane12 said:

Thanks for the help. So you didn't have to get the copy of the resident card translated?

No I didn't...she just mail the copy of her Resident Card to Embassy after she received packet 3.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I applied for my wife via Tokyo and can give you a little help.  The police certificate takes about 10 days to get done, and you will most likely have to pick it up in person.  It is only valid for one year, so keep that in mind.  Under no circumstances should you open it, it will automatically be invalid and you will have to get another one from the NPA.  As far as the rest of your documents go you can translate them yourself, assuming you/your fiancé can translate them yourselves.  No need to hire a professional translator, not to mention expensive.  You do have to include a "translator" form, again you can create this yourself, which certifies the translations are accurate.  The biggest problem was just the waiting, the interview in Tokyo was to put it mildly a joke, granted my wife and I had been married 16 years prior to us moving back to the states.  We just had her interview in December, so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Good Luck!

LST

56 minutes ago, lstjpn said:

Hi,

I applied for my wife via Tokyo and can give you a little help.  The police certificate takes about 10 days to get done, and you will most likely have to pick it up in person.  It is only valid for one year, so keep that in mind.  Under no circumstances should you open it, it will automatically be invalid and you will have to get another one from the NPA.  As far as the rest of your documents go you can translate them yourself, assuming you/your fiancé can translate them yourselves.  No need to hire a professional translator, not to mention expensive.  You do have to include a "translator" form, again you can create this yourself, which certifies the translations are accurate.  The biggest problem was just the waiting, the interview in Tokyo was to put it mildly a joke, granted my wife and I had been married 16 years prior to us moving back to the states.  We just had her interview in December, so if you have any questions I might be able to help.

Good Luck!

LST

Thank you for the advice. Now I have another issue.... My fiances student visa in Japan expires July 19th... My case was approved at USCIS on May 5th and now Im just waiting for NVC to give me my case number and send it off to the embassy.. it is getting to be a time that is too close for comfort for that visa expiry for my liking. To get it renewed she has to hand over her passport to the college and it takes like a month for them to get it back to her... which is a no go at this stage...

From what I hear , when you book the interview the earliest possible they have is like 1 month out.. and maybe it takes 7-10 days more for the visa after that.

Edited by sbane12

Timeline

I am going to warn you that chances are you won't get the interview that fast.  You have to submit everything again and a few additional documents to the NVC.  Once they have all the documents and review them, that alone can take up to six weeks.(At least it was six weeks as of last fall)  Even after they approve your packet and forward it to the embassy its likely that your interview will be some six to eight weeks after that.  My wife was approved by the NVC on November 4th, and the interview wasn't until December 27th.  Once we had the interview we had the visa delivered to us in less than 72 hours.  

Also if you go to the immigration office you can probably either extend or change your visa over to a tourist visa though it will cost you about 3000 yen.  That will give you a little extra time, under no circumstances overstay your visa even by a day!  Japan is notoriously strict about that and they will fine you several thousand bucks and likely ban your from entering from at least a minimum of five years.  I have seen it happen.

I am lucky in that I have PR in Japan, and have lived there for nearly 20 years.

LST

13 minutes ago, lstjpn said:

I am going to warn you that chances are you won't get the interview that fast.  You have to submit everything again and a few additional documents to the NVC.  Once they have all the documents and review them, that alone can take up to six weeks.(At least it was six weeks as of last fall)  Even after they approve your packet and forward it to the embassy its likely that your interview will be some six to eight weeks after that.  My wife was approved by the NVC on November 4th, and the interview wasn't until December 27th.  Once we had the interview we had the visa delivered to us in less than 72 hours.  

Also if you go to the immigration office you can probably either extend or change your visa over to a tourist visa though it will cost you about 3000 yen.  That will give you a little extra time, under no circumstances overstay your visa even by a day!  Japan is notoriously strict about that and they will fine you several thousand bucks and likely ban your from entering from at least a minimum of five years.  I have seen it happen.

I am lucky in that I have PR in Japan, and have lived there for nearly 20 years.

LST

It works differently for K-1 visa. The NVC will not be requesting any documents from me. They pretty much just key your info into the system, assign a case number and ship the packet off to the embassy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, sbane12 said:

It works differently for K-1 visa. The NVC will not be requesting any documents from me. They pretty much just key your info into the system, assign a case number and ship the packet off to the embassy

That makes it a little different, but make sure you get extra copies of all documents from Japan, BEFORE you leave.  It can be frustratingly slow to get them once you get here.  

LST

5 minutes ago, lstjpn said:

That makes it a little different, but make sure you get extra copies of all documents from Japan, BEFORE you leave.  It can be frustratingly slow to get them once you get here.  

LST

Extra copies of what documents? and thank you for your help. I already have scanned files of things like her Birth cert, Residence card, passport ,Single status certificate, etc. She is also a Cambodian citizen, and her Cambodian police clearance and single status cert are already one their way.
Her Japan police cert will be ready May 29th for pickup. I think im pretty much ahead of the game, its just that NVC case number --> DS-160 -->Medical exam --> Pay visa fee --> Schedule interview --> wait for Mail from embassy to fill out a simple form and mail it back same day. I will be flying to Japan and going with her to the interview, so the I-134 will be coming with me along with all supporting evidence of a continued relationship

Edited by sbane12

Timeline
10 hours ago, sbane12 said:

She has the originals. Do they take any of them at the interview. I know some original documents are required for some things.

They might want to examine them, so its best to have them.  At our interview they asked for an original family registry which I had.  I have heard from some people that they wanted to check all the original documents, so better safe than sorry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.