Jon and Fangfang

Still no Green card, almost 11 months waiting

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello again everyone.

So, a little back ground.  I lived in China and we filed our CR1 marriage visa via DCF.  Everything went pretty smooth overall, and we got the visa last May.  We made our first trip to the US, and went through border patrol on June 30th 2016 in Detroit.  That also went smooth.  Border patrol told us we were done with everything, and we should expect the green card in about a month.  We waited 3 months and then I called USCIS.  This is where the trouble began.  On our first call they told us to wait a little longer, on the second call we got elevated to tier 2, and they said they would look into it, they would send us something in the mail to update us.  I got the mail a could weeks later, and it said to wait 90 days before I called back if I didn't get the green card.  After 91 days, I called back, that time USCIS tier 2 told me I was still inside the normal processing time, and to wait until 9 months after June 30th.  I waited, and called back.  That time tier 2 told me I should us Omsbudsman, when I went to that website, they suggested I meet with the USCIS Detroit field office.  I submitted my help ticket with Omsbudsman, and made an appointment with the Detroit field office.  Omsbudsman said if they can't help me, they will message me in a few days, if they can help me, it would take up to 45 days.  I have not heard from them, and it has been 47 days.  So, I will follow up with them again today.  The Detroit field office appointment seemed to go well, the man told me everything was done, and he would email the Texas Service center and copy me.  He said we should have the green card in 2-3 weeks.  After 3 weeks I set up my 2nd appointment with the Detroit field office.  I went to that appointment 1 month and a day after the first appointment.  This time it was a different man, and he told me that the visa was stuck in back ground check, but no red flags and nothing to worry about.  I explained that the last guy told me it was done, and he said he didn't know why he would have told me that.

Long story, I apologize.  I am frustrated that I can't get a consistent answer from any two people at USCIS, and that they ask the exact same questions every time I call.  It was my understanding that doing the CR1 via DCF and coming to the US meant they had already done background checks, I mean they did give us the visa.  Everything I have read says that we am waiting an usual amount of time for a green card.

One other unexpected thing.  Our case number changed.  When we were in China, we had a GUZ number.  After we came to the US, and I had to pay the $165 fee, it changed to an IOE number.  Does that sound normal, or should I be concerned?

Any advice is appreciated.  My wife's stamp expires on June 30th this year, we are really running out of time at this point.

2014/02/XX First met

2014/08/20 I start "living" in China

2014/08/23 First vacation together (Beijing)

2014/09/20 Moved in together in Suzhou

2014/11/20 Trip to Thailand together

2015/09/01 Got her parents approval to marry :)

2015/09/18 Married

2014/11/04 Honeymoon in Thailand

IR-1 begins:
2015/11/17 I-130 petition mailed out

2015/11/19 I-130 received in Chicago

​2015/11/20 NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Background check? For what? Your green card should have already been approved upon POE. Make sure you're getting your I-551 stamp renewed while you wait!

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Timeline

Yeah, I wish the people at USCIS understood what was going on as much as the people on this forum!  I am convinced they still think I am trying to process a visa when I talk to them.  I don't understand what is taking so long!  :(

2014/02/XX First met

2015/09/18 Married

IR-1 begins:

​2015/11/20 NOA1

Timeline

I have thought about it.  I actually thought that is what Umbudsman was, but turns out that is not the case.  I feel like they should be able to solve this, and after really searching the forum, it looks like I am not alone in this issue, but the other stories I have read are early to mid last year.  I guess it might be time to contact my Senator.  It is just crazy it has gotten this far, I mean the green card was approved, they just need to print it and send it to me right?  :(

2014/02/XX First met

2015/09/18 Married

IR-1 begins:

​2015/11/20 NOA1

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2017 at 5:14 AM, Jon and Fangfang said:

Hello again everyone.

So, a little back ground.  I lived in China and we filed our CR1 marriage visa via DCF.  Everything went pretty smooth overall, and we got the visa last May.  We made our first trip to the US, and went through border patrol on June 30th 2016 in Detroit.  That also went smooth.  Border patrol told us we were done with everything, and we should expect the green card in about a month.  We waited 3 months and then I called USCIS.  This is where the trouble began.  On our first call they told us to wait a little longer, on the second call we got elevated to tier 2, and they said they would look into it, they would send us something in the mail to update us.  I got the mail a could weeks later, and it said to wait 90 days before I called back if I didn't get the green card.  After 91 days, I called back, that time USCIS tier 2 told me I was still inside the normal processing time, and to wait until 9 months after June 30th.  I waited, and called back.  That time tier 2 told me I should us Omsbudsman, when I went to that website, they suggested I meet with the USCIS Detroit field office.  I submitted my help ticket with Omsbudsman, and made an appointment with the Detroit field office.  Omsbudsman said if they can't help me, they will message me in a few days, if they can help me, it would take up to 45 days.  I have not heard from them, and it has been 47 days.  So, I will follow up with them again today.  The Detroit field office appointment seemed to go well, the man told me everything was done, and he would email the Texas Service center and copy me.  He said we should have the green card in 2-3 weeks.  After 3 weeks I set up my 2nd appointment with the Detroit field office.  I went to that appointment 1 month and a day after the first appointment.  This time it was a different man, and he told me that the visa was stuck in back ground check, but no red flags and nothing to worry about.  I explained that the last guy told me it was done, and he said he didn't know why he would have told me that.

Long story, I apologize.  I am frustrated that I can't get a consistent answer from any two people at USCIS, and that they ask the exact same questions every time I call.  It was my understanding that doing the CR1 via DCF and coming to the US meant they had already done background checks, I mean they did give us the visa.  Everything I have read says that we am waiting an usual amount of time for a green card.

One other unexpected thing.  Our case number changed.  When we were in China, we had a GUZ number.  After we came to the US, and I had to pay the $165 fee, it changed to an IOE number.  Does that sound normal, or should I be concerned?

Any advice is appreciated.  My wife's stamp expires on June 30th this year, we are really running out of time at this point.

Hi, I have been waiting for my green card for 9 months too since my POE!

How long did it end up taking you?

Timeline

It ended up taking about 11 months.  But, I am convinced the only reason we got it done was because I contacted my senator.  I suggest calling your states senator.  The way it worked in Michigan was, I submitted a request on the state senators website, and they called me the next day.  From then on, they walked me through what needed to be done.  It went quickly after that.  I wouldn't delay doing this, USCIS has too many people that don't know what they are doing, so unless you get lucky and find one that does, you will just get bad information after bad information!

Good luck!

2014/02/XX First met

2015/09/18 Married

IR-1 begins:

​2015/11/20 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.