RedSavant

AOS Package questions and clarifications

2 posts in this topic

First off, thanks so much for everyone's help and post on these forums! It convinced my wife not to believe the scare tactics by the lawyers who said 9+ months on the process and 5 months for an EAD. Explained to her it all depends on how well we do with initial filing and then a random as far as luck with processing but not seeing time lines that long at least if I am reading it right. Even if, not like he can help us with processing time, only help us with the initial filing then its seemed out of his hands. 

Planning to use a mix of this - http://www.mrspresson.com/immigration/adjustment-of-status-aos-k1-visa/prepare-aos-package-forms-requirements-checklist/ & http://www.visatutorial.com/lesson-nine/  this for our check list, unless theres something updated on VJ(with the I30 change?)

We have just a few questions on some of the forms;

g-1145

We just put 1 of these for the entire package on top of the cover page(or below?) and it tells us everything was received, we don't need 1 per form or 2(or for I-130 and another for 1-485 package?)

I-130

1- I have a suffix in my name, and generally I just put the suffix in the same box as last name.  Never caused a problem. Based on what I read on the forums here, I should just do the same? And then the same for where it ask for my father's information?

2- I've been married twice before, I'm assuming I need to file in the original wife in the box 9 since it only has two spaces for wife's in that section - do I need my divorce decree from the original wife or since I was allowed to get a marriage license will they know that?

3-  My father is deceased so for the current residence, should I put deceased or NA?

4- Will putting unknown for the"Has Anyone ever filed a petition for her in the past" cause a red flag? Her Grand Father we think started a process for her 15+ years ago, but never finished and she never interviewed. It was brought up during her Sister's tourist visa questioning but not hers so we don't know how far, or if anything happened with it and sadly no one knows.

5- Confirming if my parents are in the USA and it asked for current city of residence, I don't need to put state, only city?

6- Can we go ahead and send a check including the bio fee, or would you recommend sending just the $1140 and waiting on the other? Have seen cover letters saying both and but on the instructions says can do it separately.

1-I30A

1- She's self employed back home. Do we need to include any business documents showing this, if so which would you suggest? Should we also include magazine(internet articles) with her and talking about the business or will these just cause issues?

I-131

Date of intended Departure -

We have two trips, what if we don't know the date of the first trip yet and it may be earlier than the 2nd trip which we know dates? Which Should we put? Or leave blank and put in supplemental letter? 

I-693

For the 693, Should we do this at same time(Can we even do this?,) or wait? We plan to do the steps to expedite the EAD(Congressman steps) based on a job offer after 1-2 months(since the 90 day rule isn't there anymore) as she has a job offer in the works which will be a great position we think if we get it in time.

I-864 -

1- For Household size, I have 2 kids which I have 50/50 custody of. I only claim one on my taxes, ex claims the other. Should I have a household size of 3 or 4? Assuming 3 but making sure as I still pay child support for both

2- This form is only for my most recent employer correct? I don't even see a "since" date other than for retired, so I just put in my current employment?

3- As I was married last year, my tax returns will be married filing jointly. How would this affect my income? Should I still put total income(assuming yes since its tax records) since ex's wife was included? My income was the main income of the home and above the guidelines

4- Does it help to include the last 3 years return? They will also have the ex wife on them as well, so not sure if this helps/hurts?

I-765

For current immigration status - should we put Visitor or tourist? As she came in on a tourist visa?

General

1- If we have forms which have blanks, NA or none based on other guides, will these cause RFE's? or will they just ignore them since they aren't applicable? We've generally followed the instructions on the USCIS site, but if they didn't say blank, some sites have said to file in with NA or one so my wife has done that. Not talking about spaces you for sure need, more like interpreter fields, or spouse 2 for her type thing.

2- Anyone had issues use Chrome and then Dochub to edit documents and not saving correctly? Have confirmed in Google drive everything looks good, but just wanted to double check with all the 2d bar codes

3- Evidence we planned to submit was plan tickets from our trips, 3-4 photos from each trip(here and there), affidavits from 2 wedding guest along with pics from the wedding, few random pics here, Bank statements showing both names, Job benefits with both, Credit cards with her added as AU, cell phone plan, gym membership. Do we need anything else? Like old social media post to each other or tagged in or anything else?

4 hours ago, RedSavant said:

We have just a few questions on some of the forms;

g-1145

We just put 1 of these for the entire package on top of the cover page(or below?) and it tells us everything was received, we don't need 1 per form or 2(or for I-130 and another for 1-485 package?)

1 is all you need. 

I-130

1- I have a suffix in my name, and generally I just put the suffix in the same box as last name.  Never caused a problem. Based on what I read on the forums here, I should just do the same? And then the same for where it ask for my father's information?

2- I've been married twice before, I'm assuming I need to file in the original wife in the box 9 since it only has two spaces for wife's in that section - do I need my divorce decree from the original wife or since I was allowed to get a marriage license will they know that?

1. Suffix after is fine, separate with comma if you like. 

2. Yes, you'll need to put one of the wife's in Part 9 - additional information. You'll need both divorce decrees.

3-  My father is deceased so for the current residence, should I put deceased or NA?

Put deceased.

4- Will putting unknown for the"Has Anyone ever filed a petition for her in the past" cause a red flag? Her Grand Father we think started a process for her 15+ years ago, but never finished and she never interviewed. It was brought up during her Sister's tourist visa questioning but not hers so we don't know how far, or if anything happened with it and sadly no one knows.

Answer as truthful as you can. If you think it was filed say yes, you can refer and add additional short explanation in Part 9 if you wish, or just answer about it when asked.

5- Confirming if my parents are in the USA and it asked for current city of residence, I don't need to put state, only city?

6- Can we go ahead and send a check including the bio fee, or would you recommend sending just the $1140 and waiting on the other? Have seen cover letters saying both and but on the instructions says can do it separately.

5. If it says city - then city

6. Either is fine

1-I30A

1- She's self employed back home. Do we need to include any business documents showing this, if so which would you suggest? Should we also include magazine(internet articles) with her and talking about the business or will these just cause issues?

Unsure about this one,  double check the instructions. Perhaps someone else can chime in. 

I-131

Date of intended Departure -

We have two trips, what if we don't know the date of the first trip yet and it may be earlier than the 2nd trip which we know dates? Which Should we put? Or leave blank and put in supplemental letter? 

You don't need to put any dates. "Unknown" is fine.

I-693

For the 693, Should we do this at same time(Can we even do this?,) or wait? We plan to do the steps to expedite the EAD(Congressman steps) based on a job offer after 1-2 months(since the 90 day rule isn't there anymore) as she has a job offer in the works which will be a great position we think if we get it in time.

Either. If you don't send it at first it will be requested of you later on.

I-864 -

1- For Household size, I have 2 kids which I have 50/50 custody of. I only claim one on my taxes, ex claims the other. Should I have a household size of 3 or 4? Assuming 3 but making sure as I still pay child support for both

2- This form is only for my most recent employer correct? I don't even see a "since" date other than for retired, so I just put in my current employment?

1. All children dependent on taxes or not,  living with you or not have to be included in household size. You should put 4.

2. Yes current only.

3- As I was married last year, my tax returns will be married filing jointly. How would this affect my income? Should I still put total income(assuming yes since its tax records) since ex's wife was included? My income was the main income of the home and above the guidelines

4- Does it help to include the last 3 years return? They will also have the ex wife on them as well, so not sure if this helps/hurts?

3. Whatever is on total income will go on the i-864 (19a-c). To show which part of this income was yours you will submit your w2's. In the current annual income you will have your individual income which will be supported by the tax returns but also by employment letter and pay stubs.

4. If you have had a stable income for all years, it could be of benefit to provide all 3 years, but it isn't required.

I-765

For current immigration status - should we put Visitor or tourist? As she came in on a tourist visa?

If she is not out of status, yes.

General

1- If we have forms which have blanks, NA or none based on other guides, will these cause RFE's? or will they just ignore them since they aren't applicable? We've generally followed the instructions on the USCIS site, but if they didn't say blank, some sites have said to file in with NA or one so my wife has done that. Not talking about spaces you for sure need, more like interpreter fields, or spouse 2 for her type thing.

Follow the instructions, but generally no you wouldn't get an rfe. I've seen it for the opposite though for 2D barcoded forms that were left blank.

2- Anyone had issues use Chrome and then Dochub to edit documents and not saving correctly? Have confirmed in Google drive everything looks good, but just wanted to double check with all the 2d bar codes

Generally don't use Chrome. I don't know about Dochub but Chrome doesn't allow the 2D forms to read properly. I know for sure that Adobe Reader works and so I only always recommend that. 

3- Evidence we planned to submit was plan tickets from our trips, 3-4 photos from each trip(here and there), affidavits from 2 wedding guest along with pics from the wedding, few random pics here, Bank statements showing both names, Job benefits with both, Credit cards with her added as AU, cell phone plan, gym membership. Do we need anything else? Like old social media post to each other or tagged in or anything else?

Sounds good - boarding passes are better evidence than tickets. Just a note.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.