Yaley

Educational qualification

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

I have one question. I attended a private school in the Bahamas. We went from form one to form five. It was standard for that school back then. Thus my total years including primary amounted to 11 years. But it was when we graduated. After all these years I misplaced my diploma up I was able to have the Board Of Education confirm my attendance until completion.  I went for my interview but was told they would get back to me. I guess that's AP? What are my chances?

It's hard to tell from the information you've provided. They will need to be certain your education is equivalent to an American high school diploma before issuing. Generally they also need grades rather than just attendance to confirm this too. The fact that they're checking rather than immediately denying because of less than 12 years is in itself interesting as the rules actually state 12 years, so they are clearly focusing on determining whether it's equivalent. Was your high school qualification good enough for college entrance? That's often the benchmark they use in determining this. 

Did you interview in the Bahamas, or elsewhere?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

It's hard to tell from the information you've provided. They will need to be certain your education is equivalent to an American high school diploma before issuing. Generally they also need grades rather than just attendance to confirm this too. The fact that they're checking rather than immediately denying because of less than 12 years is in itself interesting as the rules actually state 12 years, so they are clearly focusing on determining whether it's equivalent. Was your high school qualification good enough for college entrance? That's often the benchmark they use in determining this. 

Did you interview in the Bahamas, or elsewhere?

Yes I did. And I might add that my education obtained is equivalent to a twelve years. You can't do an extra year of schooling if that's as far as where the school went. Many kids entered college right afterwards I just couldn't afford it. Also he kept our business license as my husband and I own an interior decorating business since 2003. Do you think that may help?

Timeline

I would but do you have any idea why he would have kept our business license? It's in interior decorating which is one of the work requirements. Do you think they may consider the fact that we have that business and had it for years may help? Please let me know your thoughts.

53 minutes ago, Yaley said:

I would but do you have any idea why he would have kept our business license? It's in interior decorating which is one of the work requirements. Do you think they may consider the fact that we have that business and had it for years may help? Please let me know your thoughts.

Not sure, it would be unusual for them to be proactive about the work experience alternative- usually its up to the applicant to make the case using detailed evidence. Did you specifically offer it as a work experience alternative to the education requirement? If not, it's possible he's following up on it to overcome the public charge requirement. 

Timeline

Actually I wasn't really asked which way I would go. Is first question was if I had a degree and  I said no just my high school equivalent. But at that point he was in possession of my business license as well. But we certainly have more than enough in the bank not to be a liability on the government and we would like to continue in the same line of work. So I guess I can only hope it's ok.

37 minutes ago, Yaley said:

Actually I wasn't really asked which way I would go. Is first question was if I had a degree and  I said no just my high school equivalent. But at that point he was in possession of my business license as well. But we certainly have more than enough in the bank not to be a liability on the government and we would like to continue in the same line of work. So I guess I can only hope it's ok.

The assumption is that you are going with high school unless you specifically say, and offer evidence for, work experience. 

Timeline

Timeline

One last clarification. I found a web page for the Bahamas education Dv requirements, it shows GCE o levels as the equivalent. In form five I did do GCE, I took five . Graduated in that same year back in 1982 with a stage 2 diploma. My results were not the best I got 1 c and 4 ds. The website did not specify grades level acceptance just GCE.   

If ive worked several jobs since graduation and now own a business is it still possible i would be denied?

4 hours ago, Yaley said:

As I said, the assumption is that you are going with high school unless you specifically state work experience. So it's usual not to be asked.

4 hours ago, Yaley said:

One last clarification. I found a web page for the Bahamas education Dv requirements, it shows GCE o levels as the equivalent. In form five I did do GCE, I took five . Graduated in that same year back in 1982 with a stage 2 diploma. My results were not the best I got 1 c and 4 ds. The website did not specify grades level acceptance just GCE.   

If ive worked several jobs since graduation and now own a business is it still possible i would be denied?

O-levels are generally not acceptable for DV as it is not sufficient for university entrance. For countries that use this system the DV requirement is A levels.

As for the employment, the work experience requirement in DV is not just any work, but it is specific about the level ( "job zone" and SVP) as explained both in the entry form instructions, and on the pages linked from your selection letter: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/confirm-your-qualifications.html

This is why people choosing the work experience option would present evidence, to show that they meet the minimums here. I can't say whether you do or not from what you've said, but am I correct that other than your business license you didn't present any actual details about what your job entails?

These aspects are different from the public charge one. The basic requirement for DV is that the applicant needs to be qualified either via education or work experience. Once that is satisfied, then the issue of public charge is dealt with. Being able to support yourself is not enough to overcome a basic ineligibility on the requirements. 

so unfortunately I find myself not really able to properly reassure you here. If I understand correctly that you are doing AOS, sometimes people find that because DV is pretty rare in AOS the officers are sometimes more lenient in approving things that would get denied in a consulate. Or maybe the officer will be more proactive in trying to figure out on his or her own if your job meets the work experience minimum. So you may be ok.

Filed: Timeline
23 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

so unfortunately I find myself not really able to properly reassure you here. If I understand correctly that you are doing AOS, sometimes people find that because DV is pretty rare in AOS the officers are sometimes more lenient in approving things that would get denied in a consulate. Or maybe the officer will be more proactive in trying to figure out on his or her own if your job meets the work experience minimum. So you may be ok.

AOS? I thought the OP said they interviewed in the Bahamas?

Just now, Sm1smom said:

AOS? I thought the OP said they interviewed in the Bahamas?

The answer seemed ambiguous to me (just "yes" to a "this or that" question) and they have AOS listed in their profile?

anyway I imagine the bahamian COs are even less used to DV than AOS ones given the handful of selectees each year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.