#Brava

K1 No Tax returns

11 posts in this topic

Hey there!

I'm so stressed right now y'all...

So, couple of weeks ago I tried to get my tax transcripts and I couldn't so I started questioning why...

Long story short, my tax attorney that I had no problem with for over 10 years scammed me. He hasn't done my taxes in 3 years (2014-2016)! I don't know what to do at this point. We're still waiting for our NOA2 and I know that I need my tax returns for the interview. Is there anything I can do? I'm working on filing my taxes right now with another attorney but I'm not sure how long it's gonna take before I'll be able to get the transcripts.

Thank you! 

23 minutes ago, #Brava said:

Hey there!

I'm so stressed right now y'all...

So, couple of weeks ago I tried to get my tax transcripts and I couldn't so I started questioning why...

Long story short, my tax attorney that I had no problem with for over 10 years scammed me. He hasn't done my taxes in 3 years (2014-2016)! I don't know what to do at this point. We're still waiting for our NOA2 and I know that I need my tax returns for the interview. Is there anything I can do? I'm working on filing my taxes right now with another attorney but I'm not sure how long it's gonna take before I'll be able to get the transcripts.

Thank you! 

Yikes! That's crazy!  Lawyers already have a bad rep, and this guy just added to it!

First off, I would have a co-sponser ready to go.  I've dealt with messy tax situations in the past, and the IRS isn't exactly known for their swiftness.  

Hopefully, your new lawyer can have everything sorted out by the time your fiance's interview happens.  If not, I would have your lawyer file an extension for your 2016 tax records to give him time to sort this mess out.

At your fiance's interview, have your 2016 W2s and your IRS letter stating your tax filing extension.  The consular officer may accept your case without our 2016 transcript, but most likely, your case will get turned over to Administrative Processing.  Basically, your file will be in limbo, until you provide the tax transcript documents requested by the consular officer:  http://www.***removed***/visas/221grefusal/

The best way to avoid all this is to have a co-sponsor.

Edited by KimchiLumpia

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

I should also mention, some countries do not allow co-sponsors.  I'm 100% sure if Russia allows co-sponsors.  Perhaps a VJ member from Russia can chime in as well.

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
52 minutes ago, KimchiLumpia said:

At your fiance's interview, have your 2016 W2s and your IRS letter stating your tax filing extension.  The consular officer may accept your case without our 2016 transcript, but most likely, your case will get turned over to Administrative Processing.  Basically, your file will be in limbo, until you provide the tax transcript documents requested by the consular officer:  http://www.***removed***/visas/221grefusal/

The best way to avoid all this is to have a co-sponsor.

Really depends on the embassy. I'm not sure about Russia at all.   But if you can prove current income with a letter from employer and paystubs, that may be enough.  Read the K1 guide and have as much ammunition as possible.  The interview letter from the russian embassy will let you know if tax transcripts are really necessary.

On another note, are your taxes really that complicated that you have to get an attorney to file them for you?  The 2016 transcript at this moment would be priorty.  So if that gets done first you would be in a better position for sure. 

Edited by Cruise77

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure if it's so simple to do in Russia, but here in Canada I can do a very simple sort of online tax file in about 20 minutes and it'll usually be sent back to me within a week. If it's available to you, maybe as a safety net you can do this past year on your own to get it done faster and just have your attorney due the remaining years and help you recover from your ex-lawyer. Generally it's not going to get as generous of a return to you because of small details that aren't available to include in the filing, but would be worth it to get your approval at the interview! Otherwise, let your new attorney know the issue and urgency, and perhaps ask for the 2016 rush (most businesses will rush their work for a price!), then wait for the rest like you otherwise would.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreeing with Freshheir above. If there's any way you can do your tax returns quickly to get them filed, you should have the returns processed relatively quick as well. Again, same as her, that's what we can have done in Canada - not sure how it works in Russia. Notice of Assessment of taxes is usually sent back within a week to one month max (but can also be printed immediately online).

Worst case scenario is that I'd pay someone (another lawyer you can trust, a tax preperation company, accountant, etc) to do the 3 full returns properly... timeline doesn't change if you get them to put a priority on it.

Wishing you luck!

Filed: Timeline

You will need proof that your tax returns are filed.  Once your new attorney files your tax returns, you can use them for the immigration process.  You don't have to wait for tax transcripts.

Having a co-sponsor does not help since the petitioner is still required to have file tax returns or valid excuses as to why filing was not required.  Having a co-sponsor does not alleviate the requirements for your tax returns.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, Jojo92122 said:

You will need proof that your tax returns are filed.  Once your new attorney files your tax returns, you can use them for the immigration process.  You don't have to wait for tax transcripts.

Having a co-sponsor does not help since the petitioner is still required to have file tax returns or valid excuses as to why filing was not required.  Having a co-sponsor does not alleviate the requirements for your tax returns.

So what exactly do I need to show them if it's not tax returns? I doubt I'm gonna have those by the time I have to go to the interview but I do think I'll be able to file them. 

If you don't owe the government any money, don't sweat the returns as much.  If the IRS owes you money for any of those years, you are able to get interest on what you were supposed to get back.  There was a guy I did taxes for a few years back that only did his taxes once every 3 years (because that's as far back as you can file and still get a return)...he would get interest on what he was owed.  I don't remember how much the interest was, but it was a neat little trick I learned from him. 

From everything I have been told (because my 1040 shows 0 income due to a tax free combat location)...your W2 should work.  Just make sure all your ducks are in a row and you can show them what happened.  What I would do is provide original copies to your fiancée for the interview, and show them what you have done to get your returns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.