MWCC

Can i get my U.S. citizenship while out of the U.S.

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JFH said:

Since he is resident in the Philippines I assume you went through DCF? If not, you certainly should do so next time. 

You asked a question on a public forum. Don't be surprised that some of the answers are not what you were hoping for. 

Please note that it's hard for many people who go through the entire process thousands of miles APART from their spouse and children, who don't have the luxury of speedy DCF, to understand what you found draining about the process or what is upsetting you. You want us to have empathy with your situation but you need to understand the situation of others too. Yes the process was awful. I couldn't see my husband for 8 months before I immigrated. And I consider myself lucky that I was able to see my husband more than once a year. I was admitted to the hospital to be assessed for brain surgery to cure epilepsy - alone without my husband. We spent the first two years of married life apart and waiting for permission to live together. We went through a visa denial before we had an approval. It was an awful time. Being apart from my husband was an unimaginable pain. Be thankful you didn't have to spend all that time apart. Be very, very thankful. 

Each to our own battle. Certainly i didn't tell any other thing personal. For all you know, i just told half of my story. And sorry you had to undergo that awful time. I hope everything is well. However, i have my own issues too that i want to address. Potentially i will also be separated from my husband in this process and that is what i am avoiding. It is a case to case basis for each of us. You cannot just attack a post just because you think their case is easier than yours, that is too shallow of some. And yes, this is a public forum ---of people needing help. i believe in ethics and being cordial even in a public forum for we are adults. Clearly other people are not mature enough to do that.

Thank you so much for your answer 🤗you have been really helpful. 

Edited by MWCC

7 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Totally understand. Why not when you go to the USA spend some time with your in laws until you get your green card and then come back to the Philippines. But yes $10k USD is alot of money but at least everything has worked out, and right now I am trying to convince her to file for citizenship as well. But she is alittle scared so it might be later on this year before I can convince her. 

I might have to do that. My son and i might have to stay for a little bit.. i hope everything goes well with your wife's citizenship. 😃

12 hours ago, MWCC said:

Thank you for this. You have been a great help 😀

You are welcome and please ignore all the negative posts which I'm glad were removed by administrators. At the end of the day you make the decision that works for you. I understand how time consuming it is to file and eventually you husband could relocate back to US which means their is a chance of separation that is brutal. Seek legal opinion and buy as much time that will legally allow you to maintain your status. I wish you the best.

1 hour ago, MWCC said:

Each to our own battle. Certainly i didn't tell any other thing personal. For all you know, i just told half of my story. And sorry you had to undergo that awful time. I hope everything is well. However, i have my own issues too that i want to address. Potentially i will also be separated from my husband in this process and that is what i am avoiding. It is a case to case basis for each of us. You cannot just attack a post just because you think their case is easier than yours, that is too shallow of some. And yes, this is a public forum ---of people needing help. i believe in ethics and being cordial even in a public forum for we are adults. Clearly other people are not mature enough to do that.

Thank you so much for your answer 🤗you have been really helpful. 

I don't think the purpose of this forum is to criticize people. It's obvious the level of difficulty for people is different and it's not cool to bash others just because they are trying to figure out a way to ensure a permanent stay. Your question is valid and eventually your spouse will relocate to the US and so allowing your visa to expire without considering all your options is definitely not an easy thing. There are legal options that allow you to buy more time and seeking an experienced immigration attorney will be wise. You should also reach out the the VJ member who successfully was able to manage this exact situation you are going through. Good luck.

Edited by hasmax80

6 minutes ago, hasmax80 said:

You are welcome and please ignore all the negative posts which I'm glad were removed by administrators. At the end of the day you make the decision that works for you. I understand how time consuming it is to file and eventually you husband could relocate back to US which means their is a chance of separation that is brutal. Seek legal opinion and buy as much time that will legally allow you to maintain your status. I wish you the best.

Thank you hasmax! I wish u well too. Might seek the help of an immig lawyer (which will cost another $2500). Everyone apparently thinks every immigrant is dying to just get in the U.S. for the citizenship. For all we know, they are living comfortably in their country of origin. But chose to leave everything just to live and be with their family in another country. It is already stressful enough that 1. My husband is just new in his current company. He cant afford to be gone that long for us to wait for my greencard. He might have to leave us in the U.S. until we get my physical greencard. Just thinking of being separated as a family is making me sad already. 2. Having to cancel the immig visa will mean i have to re-file it again, bleed money, invest time effort and energy for something that could have been done the first time. I won't be able to travel to see my in-laws in the U.S. as my tourist visa has been cancelled. I am not sure if they will allow me to get it back as i have already filed as an immigrant. 

Thank you for the encouragement. You are very pleasant. I wish you all the best too. 😀

On 4/21/2017 at 7:04 PM, MWCC said:

Thank you hasmax! I wish u well too. Might seek the help of an immig lawyer (which will cost another $2500). Everyone apparently thinks every immigrant is dying to just get in the U.S. for the citizenship. For all we know, they are living comfortably in their country of origin. But chose to leave everything just to live and be with their family in another country. It is already stressful enough that 1. My husband is just new in his current company. He cant afford to be gone that long for us to wait for my greencard. He might have to leave us in the U.S. until we get my physical greencard. Just thinking of being separated as a family is making me sad already. 2. Having to cancel the immig visa will mean i have to re-file it again, bleed money, invest time effort and energy for something that could have been done the first time. I won't be able to travel to see my in-laws in the U.S. as my tourist visa has been cancelled. I am not sure if they will allow me to get it back as i have already filed as an immigrant. 

Thank you for the encouragement. You are very pleasant. I wish you all the best too. 😀

You are welcome MWCC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.