10 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Me and my spouse weren't living together while in the process of I130. He was in US and I was back in my home country. Do we need to submit correspondence between us during that period as evidence for I751? And what about  I130 approval notice etc from USCIS, do we need to submit that as well?

Thank you!

Best

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
40 minutes ago, lemongreentea said:

Hi All,

Me and my spouse weren't living together while in the process of I130. He was in US and I was back in my home country. Do we need to submit correspondence between us during that period as evidence for I751? And what about  I130 approval notice etc from USCIS, do we need to submit that as well?

Thank you!

Best

My husband and I weren't living together the first year of our marriage either.  For the I-751 process, you will be submitting co-mingling/finances.  Everything you have from the time you were married or from the time you starting living together should be submitted ie - joint banking statements, joint credit card statements, life insurance, etc.  Since my husband lived in Jamaica our first year, we were only able to send documentation that started when he arrived in the states.  USCIS understands that most are not living together at first because of having to wait for the visa to be approved.  So, therefore, you can only submit what existed once you actually started living together.  I submitted all of my travel itineraries to Jamaica and pictures from our first year of marriage while on those visits.  I figured since we didn't have bank account info etc, this was at least a way to show we were in a continuous relationship.  Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, neilsqueen said:

My husband and I weren't living together the first year of our marriage either.  For the I-751 process, you will be submitting co-mingling/finances.  Everything you have from the time you were married or from the time you starting living together should be submitted ie - joint banking statements, joint credit card statements, life insurance, etc.  Since my husband lived in Jamaica our first year, we were only able to send documentation that started when he arrived in the states.  USCIS understands that most are not living together at first because of having to wait for the visa to be approved.  So, therefore, you can only submit what existed once you actually started living together.  I submitted all of my travel itineraries to Jamaica and pictures from our first year of marriage while on those visits.  I figured since we didn't have bank account info etc, this was at least a way to show we were in a continuous relationship.  Hope this helps.

Thank you. Our case is pretty straightforward. But after reading a few denial and RFE cases, I'm thinking maybe using hiring an attorney just in case. We did our I130 through attorney, not 100% satisfied but they did get us through with no troubles/RFEs.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, lemongreentea said:

Thank you. Our case is pretty straightforward. But after reading a few denial and RFE cases, I'm thinking maybe using hiring an attorney just in case. We did our I130 through attorney, not 100% satisfied but they did get us through with no troubles/RFEs.

If you have an easy case, you really can do it all on your own.  I followed all the guides here and  the instructions on www.uscis.gov to a T and got thru the I-130 in 9 months and no RFE's.  I completed the ROC packet by following the information pinned in the ROC forum.  It really isn't complicated.  I think you can do it on your own.  A lawyer will only fill out the form and mail it for you.  You are the one who has to do all the collecting of evidence and just hand it to them.  Study the guides here and then make the determination if you can do it on your own.  I believe you can.  If you have questions, just post them here and there are a ton of seasoned veterans here that are gracious enough to help.  :thumbs:

17 minutes ago, neilsqueen said:

If you have an easy case, you really can do it all on your own.  I followed all the guides here and  the instructions on www.uscis.gov to a T and got thru the I-130 in 9 months and no RFE's.  I completed the ROC packet by following the information pinned in the ROC forum.  It really isn't complicated.  I think you can do it on your own.  A lawyer will only fill out the form and mail it for you.  You are the one who has to do all the collecting of evidence and just hand it to them.  Study the guides here and then make the determination if you can do it on your own.  I believe you can.  If you have questions, just post them here and there are a ton of seasoned veterans here that are gracious enough to help.  :thumbs:

Thank you for the encouragement. Hiring an attorney or not has had me hesitated a lot. lol

Yes, you shouldn't need a lawyer. There are a couple of pinned threads at the top of the forum that can help you decide what to send. Assume though, that what they're really interested in is what has happened since you arrived in the US and got your green card. Start the timeline from your POE (point of entry) and go from there with all your proof of living together and combining  your lives and finances. Leases, mortgages, insurance, wills and powers of attorney, bank accounts and credit cards, utilities, phones, drivers' licenses with same address, health insurance, taxes -- everything that has both names and the same address.

Good luck!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
21 hours ago, lemongreentea said:

Hi All,

Thank you!

Best

Why not.  Another letter is not going to hurt.

Archie

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2017 at 6:12 PM, neilsqueen said:

We are in the same situation. We were apart for our first year of marriage while waiting for the visa. Did you explain your situation in your cover letter or as  separate letter? Found this on the USCIS website... If you believe your situation to be unique, explain it fully in an attachment to the packet, not as a cover letter. Any advice appreciated I'm sending mine in a week 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, amanda_whitehead said:

We are in the same situation. We were apart for our first year of marriage while waiting for the visa. Did you explain your situation in your cover letter or as  separate letter? Found this on the USCIS website... If you believe your situation to be unique, explain it fully in an attachment to the packet, not as a cover letter. Any advice appreciated I'm sending mine in a week 

I didn't say anything about our year apart because I figured they would know that by comparing our marriage date with the date his green card was issued.  I hope that was ok.  Yikes!  I don't think it would hurt if you wrote a quick note and added it to your packet if it will make you rest easier.  This whole process is such a pain.  Best wishes to you and your honey :wub:

1 hour ago, neilsqueen said:

I didn't say anything about our year apart because I figured they would know that by comparing our marriage date with the date his green card was issued.  I hope that was ok.  Yikes!  I don't think it would hurt if you wrote a quick note and added it to your packet if it will make you rest easier.  This whole process is such a pain.  Best wishes to you and your honey :wub:

I'm sure yours will be fine. Have you heard from them yet? I think I will just add a paragraph in the cover letter explaining. Yes this visa process is so stressful it has a aged me 10years lol. All the best to you both

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.