Dima_April

AOS Interview & Co-Mingled Assets

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We married in mid September, 2016 and will be interview early April 2017.  My husband has been working at a factory for about a month and a half, but hasn't been able to bring his money from Russia to the states (was lost and returned to Russia, twice).  I added him to my credit card, but since he has no credit history, he only is shown as an active user on my account.  Two weeks ago, we filed taxes jointly and on the same day, opened a joint checking and savings account with just $5.00 - the federal and state tax return, will go into our joint savings; does it look funny that: 1.) We opened it with a small amount and have nothing in the savings as of yet?  2.) We opened it just prior to our interview?  We have joint debit cards for this account.  I named him as beneficiary for my life insurance and pension.  He pays for the cable bill, but our names are not on the bill jointly.  The cable company said, they don't do that anymore, but instead list the spouse as a person they may speak with about the bill.  The same basically goes for my lights and gas bill - he can't be added because he is not on the deed of the house.  I tried over and over to add him at the city office, but they refused.  Should I get a letter from them stating their policy?  I haven't added him to the deed yet, for several reasons: 1.) I don't know what USCIS is going to do, can they send him back?  2.)  I read something about adding a non-permanent alien, can cause tax problems and the IRS can view this addition as a gift.  3.) I've owned it partially since 1996 and completely since 2014 and we've only been married 7 months.  He still owns his house in Russia and I'm not on that.  4.) We're thinking about buying one together after we get immigration taken care of and we might move to a different state when we do (not sure yet).  In light of all this, I have seen a lawyer, as of today and she is drafting a Will, which I can sign next week.  I have left my husband everything, with the exception of a family ring, which was given to me and my mother asked me to pass it on to my nephew and a kitchen hutch which is going to a niece.  Other than that, he gets it all.  I sit on the title of his truck, since he could not buy it without me at the time (no state license) - he decided to keep me on the title and when I pay for my plates next week, I'm adding him to the title of my car.  I've also had him on my car insurance back in July, before getting married, so he could drive on his International safely.  Do you think I have enough proof to prove our marriage....am I missing anything?  Thanks guys.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You don't need much at all for the AOS, they know you haven't been married long or lived together long either. It's when your husband files for ROC a couple of years from now that they will want to see more proof.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.