NatO23

Clarification on when I can schedule interview and medical

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a common question... I've looked at the K1 flowchart and done some digging around to try and find this info, but I'm still unsure about when I can schedule my medical and interview, and complete my online form. I know the NVC gives us a new case number when it's receives our case after NOA2, but does that number allow me to complete my online stuff and get my appointments scheduled? Or do I have to wait until I hear from the embassy in London before I can move towards those final steps? Any more detail or clarification would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

01/18/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/05/17 - NOA2 (100 days from NOA1)

05/19/17 - NVC received and case number assigned

05/26/17 - Case left NVC, status 'In Transit'

05/30/17 - Medical

05/31/17 - Consulate received 

07/13/17 - Interview, APPROVED!

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

07/22/17 - POE Newark, successful

08/02/17 - Married

08/23/17 - AOS filed (incl. EAD and AP)

08/31/17 - NOA1 date on AOS packet

09/21/17 - Biometrics appt

10/16/17 - Online tracker says 'Ready for Interview'

11/09/17 - EAD and AP approved

11/16/17 - EAD/AP combo card arrived

12/19/17 - Green card interview

12/22/17 - RFE received (medical had been lost)

01/23/18 - Green card in production

Hey there - you are welcome to scan through the threads over in the London K-1 forum. It was an older forum from the fall/summer, but several users resurrected it for those of us who applied in November. You may find some of your answers over there. Long story short, you must wait for a number of steps before doing that.

1. You must wait for your NOA-2 - which right now it taking roughly 75-100 calendar days for uncomplicated cases from Receipt Date (for you 1/23/17) - so count 75-100 days forward from 1/23/17 and that is ROUGHLY when your case will be adjudicated (either they will send you an RFE (request for evidence) or an NOA-2 (approval).

2. After you receive your NOA-2, USCIS forwards the case to the NVC. You can start calling the NVC's non-immigrant visa line at 603-334-0888 from 7a-midnight EST M-F; they usually will receive your case from USCIS about two weeks after the NOA-2 date. When you call, you give them your USCIS case number (WAC17900*****) and eventually (about two weeks) they will be able to give you a LND (London embassy specific) case number, as well as a IIN (Invoice Identification Number, which will eventually be required when you are filling out the form to pay visa fees.)

3. Once you have the LND number, the beneficiary may use it to schedule the medical at Knightsbridge Doctors. There are other steps involved with the medical - questions can be answered at many other locations so I won't go into them. But the medical can often be scheduled as early as two weeks out from the date of receiving the LND case number. During this time you can also submit the DS-160 visa application required of all K-1 applicants. You do NOT need the letter from the embassy to schedule the medical; it's helpful if you have the letter with you when you go to the medical, but not required.

4. Once the NVC has the case, they appear to be taking about three business days to be completing your file and sending the case to the London embassy. It seems to take about two weeks from that date for the London embassy to receive and process both the electronic and paper portions of the application. After they have done this, you will be able to schedule the interview. You DO need to have received the letter from the embassy in order to schedule your interview. People right now whose cases are ready have been able to schedule their interviews for about 3-4 weeks in the future from there.

5. No matter what, you have to leave at least 5 business days between the medical and the interview so that the embassy's system has time to register all of the information from the medical exam. 

I've left out a LOT of the procedural steps, which you can dig for elsewhere. I just answered your question based on timeline of how it all seems to be happening, and included links to the K-1 visa page that explains things on the UK's website, and the forum for folks currently in the final waiting to schedule an interview stage in the UK. I would please ask that you read the entire forum and information from the government website before asking any quesitons; it's quite frustrating when users from VJ ask questions already answered somewhere else in the exact same forum. Not saying you have done that - but just please read through all of it (15 pages, not so long) before you ask questions that can obviously be answered just by reading the thread.

This link explains all of the steps you need to take for the K-1. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/

Met in college, reconnected five years later. Started a life together in America. ❤️

11/09/16 - Mailed I-129F for K-1

11/16/16 - NOA-1

02/07/17 - NOA-2

03/06/17 - Medical (in London)

03/30/17 - Visa Interview - Approved!!

04/06/17 - Visa in hand!! 

05/17/17 - Point of entry, Boston

05/27/17 - WEDDING in Maine!

AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

06/30/17 - Mailed I-131, I-765, and I-485

07/05/17 - NOA-1 for all three applications.

08/03/17 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, Maine

08/15/17 - Case Status "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview'

08/18/17 - Case Status "Interview Scheduled"

09/25/17 - Interview, 485 AOS Approved. Case status changed to "New Card is in Production".

09/26/17 - Case Status "Case Approved"

09/28/17 - "Card Was Mailed to Me"; received hard copy NOA stating case approved

9/30/17 - Case Status for EAD/AP changed to "Case closed, benefit received by other means"

10/03/17 - Two-year green card received in mail!! 😍

ROC I-751 Timeline
07/06/19 - Mailed I-751 

07/08/19 - Application received by USCIS

07/10/19 - Credit card charged, NOA-1 dated

07/11/19 - Text receipt received, EAC (Vermont)

7/13/19 - Received NOA/extension letter in mail

08/03/19 - Biometrics letter received

08/14/19 - Biometrics appointment completed

08/26/19 - Case status updated to “Fingerprint Review Completed”

05/20/20 - Case status updated to "New Card is in Production"

05/21/2020 - Case status updated to "Case Is Approved"

05/27/2020 - Received 10-year green card in mail on our three-year anniversary!

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

09/25/2020 - Filed online and received electronic NOA-1 same day, IOE receipt number

11/12/2020 - Biometrics reuse notice

12/28/2020 - Received notice for N-400 Interview

2/3/2021 - Interview at Lawrence, MA - Approved!

2/18/2021 - Oath Ceremony!

2 hours ago, fishe23a said:

Hey there - you are welcome to scan through the threads over in the London K-1 forum. It was an older forum from the fall/summer, but several users resurrected it for those of us who applied in November. You may find some of your answers over there. Long story short, you must wait for a number of steps before doing that.

1. You must wait for your NOA-2 - which right now it taking roughly 75-100 calendar days for uncomplicated cases from Receipt Date (for you 1/23/17) - so count 75-100 days forward from 1/23/17 and that is ROUGHLY when your case will be adjudicated (either they will send you an RFE (request for evidence) or an NOA-2 (approval).

2. After you receive your NOA-2, USCIS forwards the case to the NVC. You can start calling the NVC's non-immigrant visa line at 603-334-0888 from 7a-midnight EST M-F; they usually will receive your case from USCIS about two weeks after the NOA-2 date. When you call, you give them your USCIS case number (WAC17900*****) and eventually (about two weeks) they will be able to give you a LND (London embassy specific) case number, as well as a IIN (Invoice Identification Number, which will eventually be required when you are filling out the form to pay visa fees.)

3. Once you have the LND number, the beneficiary may use it to schedule the medical at Knightsbridge Doctors. There are other steps involved with the medical - questions can be answered at many other locations so I won't go into them. But the medical can often be scheduled as early as two weeks out from the date of receiving the LND case number. During this time you can also submit the DS-160 visa application required of all K-1 applicants. You do NOT need the letter from the embassy to schedule the medical; it's helpful if you have the letter with you when you go to the medical, but not required.

4. Once the NVC has the case, they appear to be taking about three business days to be completing your file and sending the case to the London embassy. It seems to take about two weeks from that date for the London embassy to receive and process both the electronic and paper portions of the application. After they have done this, you will be able to schedule the interview. You DO need to have received the letter from the embassy in order to schedule your interview. People right now whose cases are ready have been able to schedule their interviews for about 3-4 weeks in the future from there.

5. No matter what, you have to leave at least 5 business days between the medical and the interview so that the embassy's system has time to register all of the information from the medical exam. 

I've left out a LOT of the procedural steps, which you can dig for elsewhere. I just answered your question based on timeline of how it all seems to be happening, and included links to the K-1 visa page that explains things on the UK's website, and the forum for folks currently in the final waiting to schedule an interview stage in the UK. I would please ask that you read the entire forum and information from the government website before asking any quesitons; it's quite frustrating when users from VJ ask questions already answered somewhere else in the exact same forum. Not saying you have done that - but just please read through all of it (15 pages, not so long) before you ask questions that can obviously be answered just by reading the thread.

This link explains all of the steps you need to take for the K-1. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/

Thank you so much for this - I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that and clarify what I need to wait for each step of the way. I know I have a long way to go yet, but it's really helpful to know all of this. It was the order of the appointment bookings/letters from embassy etc that was confusing me, but this explains it perfectly. Apologies if I've asked a common question that's been answered a lot, and thanks again for your help.

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/30/17 - Medical

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

08/02/17 - Married

8 hours ago, NatO23 said:

Thank you so much for this - I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that and clarify what I need to wait for each step of the way. I know I have a long way to go yet, but it's really helpful to know all of this. It was the order of the appointment bookings/letters from embassy etc that was confusing me, but this explains it perfectly. Apologies if I've asked a common question that's been answered a lot, and thanks again for your help.

No worries! It is certainly a common question, but also one that it's very difficult to find the answers to (hence why we all have this question...since USCIS is VERY unhelpful in this arena and there is very little on the US government website to explain the next steps. I've found being here on VJ and hunting around on other websites is where I have found the most information that I simply would never have had if I had just relied on the US govt websites!) My comments were more...just in being in some other threads, sometimes people ask a question, get a pretty good answer...then a new person asks the same question on the same thread a couple pages later when they could have read the thread. I think the links I gave are pretty good resources for those spots. I hope that your NOA-2 comes sooner than later and you're able to be on to the next steps!

Met in college, reconnected five years later. Started a life together in America. ❤️

11/09/16 - Mailed I-129F for K-1

11/16/16 - NOA-1

02/07/17 - NOA-2

03/06/17 - Medical (in London)

03/30/17 - Visa Interview - Approved!!

04/06/17 - Visa in hand!! 

05/17/17 - Point of entry, Boston

05/27/17 - WEDDING in Maine!

AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

06/30/17 - Mailed I-131, I-765, and I-485

07/05/17 - NOA-1 for all three applications.

08/03/17 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, Maine

08/15/17 - Case Status "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview'

08/18/17 - Case Status "Interview Scheduled"

09/25/17 - Interview, 485 AOS Approved. Case status changed to "New Card is in Production".

09/26/17 - Case Status "Case Approved"

09/28/17 - "Card Was Mailed to Me"; received hard copy NOA stating case approved

9/30/17 - Case Status for EAD/AP changed to "Case closed, benefit received by other means"

10/03/17 - Two-year green card received in mail!! 😍

ROC I-751 Timeline
07/06/19 - Mailed I-751 

07/08/19 - Application received by USCIS

07/10/19 - Credit card charged, NOA-1 dated

07/11/19 - Text receipt received, EAC (Vermont)

7/13/19 - Received NOA/extension letter in mail

08/03/19 - Biometrics letter received

08/14/19 - Biometrics appointment completed

08/26/19 - Case status updated to “Fingerprint Review Completed”

05/20/20 - Case status updated to "New Card is in Production"

05/21/2020 - Case status updated to "Case Is Approved"

05/27/2020 - Received 10-year green card in mail on our three-year anniversary!

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

09/25/2020 - Filed online and received electronic NOA-1 same day, IOE receipt number

11/12/2020 - Biometrics reuse notice

12/28/2020 - Received notice for N-400 Interview

2/3/2021 - Interview at Lawrence, MA - Approved!

2/18/2021 - Oath Ceremony!

20 hours ago, fishe23a said:

No worries! It is certainly a common question, but also one that it's very difficult to find the answers to (hence why we all have this question...since USCIS is VERY unhelpful in this arena and there is very little on the US government website to explain the next steps. I've found being here on VJ and hunting around on other websites is where I have found the most information that I simply would never have had if I had just relied on the US govt websites!) My comments were more...just in being in some other threads, sometimes people ask a question, get a pretty good answer...then a new person asks the same question on the same thread a couple pages later when they could have read the thread. I think the links I gave are pretty good resources for those spots. I hope that your NOA-2 comes sooner than later and you're able to be on to the next steps!

Thanks! And good luck to you - I can see from your timeline that you're getting very close to the final stages now. That's fantastic, and it's nice to see a fellow Brit getting through the process well. 

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/30/17 - Medical

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

08/02/17 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.