3,975 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TL2016 said:

Not necessarily. I don't know why so many people adjusting from student and tourist visas are here in this section of the forum considering this is intended for people who adjusted from family based ones, but let me explain what the major difference is between those cases and our cases is.

Anyone adjusting from a tourist, student and in some cases work visas are required to have an interview. There is no way around that for them, so they often get the "Ready to be scheduled for interview" status online pretty quickly, even though it could be many months before they even get their interview appointment. The saying that cases with interviews are generally faster is also not entirely true. 

Only cases with local offices that aren't backlogged usually get approved within the first 3-5 months. If I will need an interview for example, I probably won't get one until the beginning of 2018 because that's how bad the backlog in New York City is. 

You should mention that people adjusting from a K1 fiance visa often get a visa waiver. :D

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Just now, Becci391 said:

You should mention that people adjusting from a K1 fiance visa often get a visa waiver. :D

Yeah that's also true. I thought most of us here knew about that already but it's always good to point it out again. I'm hoping that I'll get a waiver, I'd hate having to wait nearly a year for my green card.

When I called about my EAD expedite, I also asked about my I-485 and the representative on the phone told me that my case is still at the MSC and looks like I'll be getting an interview waiver, but he couldn't say for sure. So I'm hoping for the best but I definitely won't be holding my breath lol. 

3 minutes ago, TL2016 said:

Yeah that's also true. I thought most of us here knew about that already but it's always good to point it out again. I'm hoping that I'll get a waiver, I'd hate having to wait nearly a year for my green card.

When I called about my EAD expedite, I also asked about my I-485 and the representative on the phone told me that my case is still at the MSC and looks like I'll be getting an interview waiver, but he couldn't say for sure. So I'm hoping for the best but I definitely won't be holding my breath lol. 

Uhm...I wonder if that's something I can ask tomorrow when I call them for my EAD/AP update or if I have to wait until the 180 days have passed...it's been almost 3 months since I sent the application to USCIS and my status update is still the same. But on the other hand, it could change anytime.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

Uhm...I wonder if that's something I can ask tomorrow when I call them for my EAD/AP update or if I have to wait until the 180 days have passed...it's been almost 3 months since I sent the application to USCIS and my status update is still the same. But on the other hand, it could change anytime.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It doesn't hurt to ask. You can call and ask anytime, they just won't put in a service request for you for the I-485. They might be able to tell you something like your case is still at the MSC or it's on the way to Atlanta. But looking at the processing times, Atlanta doesn't seem so bad with an average of 5 months from start to interview. 

Edited by TL2016

Just now, TL2016 said:

It doesn't hurt to ask. You can call and ask anytime, they just won't put in a service request for you for the I-485. They might be able to tell you something like your case is still at the MSC or it's on the way to Atlanta. But looking at the processing times, Atlanta doesn't seem so bad with an average of 5 months from start to interview. 

Atlanta is pretty fast compared to other cities. I mean, even NYC doesn't look to bad if you look at Chicago and Charlotte...

I will ask someone tomorrow. Maybe they can tell me something, maybe not.

ROC Timeline

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

Atlanta is pretty fast compared to other cities. I mean, even NYC doesn't look to bad if you look at Chicago and Charlotte...

I will ask someone tomorrow. Maybe they can tell me something, maybe not.

Haha, I highly doubt these numbers are accurate. No one will have to wait over 3 years to get an interview. If that was really the case, some people could have successfully removed conditions and have possibly obtained US citizenship before Chicago locals even had their conditional green cad interview lol. 

Just now, TL2016 said:

Haha, I highly doubt these numbers are accurate. No one will have to wait over 3 years to get an interview. If that was really the case, some people could have successfully removed conditions and have possibly obtained US citizenship before Chicago locals even had their conditional green cad interview lol. 

Well...that makes sense. I should ask someone who's field office is Chicago or Charlotte.

When can you call USCIS again to find out more about your I-485? Or do you have to check your status on a regular basis.

I'm still surprised that I haven't gotten an RFE/RFIE yet...hopefully it will stay that way :D

ROC Timeline

14 minutes ago, TL2016 said:

Not necessarily. I don't know why so many people adjusting from student and tourist visas are here in this section of the forum considering this is intended for people who adjusted from family based ones, but let me explain what the major difference is between those cases and our cases is.

Anyone adjusting from a tourist, student and in some cases work visas are required to have an interview. There is no way around that for them, so they often get the "Ready to be scheduled for interview" status online pretty quickly, even though it could be many months before they even get their interview appointment. The saying that cases with interviews are generally faster is also not entirely true. 

Only cases with local offices that aren't backlogged usually get approved within the first 3-5 months. If I will need an interview for example, I probably won't get one until the beginning of 2018 because that's how bad the backlog in New York City is. 

Those of us who adjust from tourist or student or even working visa are also family based....we go thought exactly the same process, except we will definitely have an interview because we didn't have one when we entered the country. 

03/14/2017 AOS package arrived (I-485, I-765, I-130, I-131)

03/23/2017 1st NOAs received (text and emails for all 4 forms)

03/23/2017 check cashed 

03/27/2017 1st NOAs received in mail

04/22/2017 biometric letter 

05/03/2017 biometric appointment 

05/09/2017 case is ready to be scheduled for interview 

07/03/2017 EAD card is being produced 

07/07/2017 EAD card is mailed to me

04/03/2018 Filed for EAD renewal 

06/15/2018 AOS interview was scheduled 

06/21/2018 received interview letter 

07/23/2018 interview

07/24/2018 case approved 

07/28/2018 card in hand 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

Well...that makes sense. I should ask someone who's field office is Chicago or Charlotte.

When can you call USCIS again to find out more about your I-485? Or do you have to check your status on a regular basis.

I'm still surprised that I haven't gotten an RFE/RFIE yet...hopefully it will stay that way :D

Nah I probably won't be calling again about my I-485 unless I haven't heard anything after 6 months. I just had the chance to ask about it on the phone so I did it. 

1 minute ago, kimy33 said:

Those of us who adjust from tourist or student or even working visa are also family based....we go thought exactly the same process, except we will definitely have an interview because we didn't have one when we entered the country. 

No, you're still considered in a different category here on VJ and on the actual visa. 

You're not adjusting from a family based visa. You're adjusting from a tourist, student or work visa which are not family based.

These kind of visas aren't supposed to have an immigration intent, whilst visas like the K-1 are specifically intended for people to legally move to the US. Yes, what you're doing is still legal since you're already inside of the United States, but that doesn't change the fact that you're not adjusting from a family based visa. That's why the second section exists for cases like yours. And that's why I thought it's surprising how many non family based applicants are here in this section.

Not that I have anything against it, the more the merrier in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, TL2016 said:

Nah I probably won't be calling again about my I-485 unless I haven't heard anything after 6 months. I just had the chance to ask about it on the phone so I did it. 

No, you're still considered in a different category here on VJ and on the actual visa. 

You're not adjusting from a family based visa. You're adjusting from a tourist, student or work visa which are not family based.

These kind of visas aren't supposed to have an immigration intent, whilst visas like the K-1 are specifically intended for people to legally move to the US. Yes, what you're doing is still legal since you're already inside of the United States, but that doesn't change the fact that you're not adjusting from a family based visa. That's why the second section exists for cases like yours. And that's why I thought it's surprising how many non family based applicants are here in this section.

Not that I have anything against it, the more the merrier in my opinion. 

I guess we were confused "adjust from family based visa" with "adjust to family based green card". I thought family base means " you are applying for AOS because you are a family member (spouse) of a USC". I wouldn't mind to move to the correct section for us, if I can find it........ 

03/23/2017 check cashed 

07/23/2018 interview

07/24/2018 case approved 

07/28/2018 card in hand 

Timeline
1 minute ago, kimy33 said:

I guess we were confused "adjust from family based visa" with "adjust to family based green card". I thought family base means " you are applying for AOS because you are a family member (spouse) of a USC". I wouldn't mind to move to the correct section for us, if I can find it........ 

No worries at all, I was just pointing out that there's still a difference. You were correct that the process is basically the same (besides the I-130 and the medical exam in the US). 

The other section is called "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" and is directly under the one you're currently in on the main forum age. And instead of moving over there, just join their conversation as well! We're all in the same boat trying to achieve the same thing, there's no need to leave us :) .

On 03/01/2017 at 10:43 AM, TL2016 said:

Yeah like Miggel said, it seems like it can take up to a month which is just bad. I know it's 100% our fault and I take the blame for it, but a month to send everything back seems a bit excessive. 

They wasted my full month before sending me my rejected I-765 form just because I forgot to sign the form. Dont ever forget to sign the forms

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mhbrz said:

They wasted my full month before sending me my rejected I-765 form just because I forgot to sign the form. Dont ever forget to sign the forms

I'm sorry to hear that. But that post was about an expired form, not a missing signature. Signatures are always a very important part of a document, but it is indeed very unfortunate that it took them a month to reject it.

Just now, TL2016 said:

No worries at all, I was just pointing out that there's still a difference. You were correct that the process is basically the same (besides the I-130 and the medical exam in the US). 

The other section is called "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" and is directly under the one you're currently in on the main forum age. And instead of moving over there, just join their conversation as well! We're all in the same boat trying to achieve the same thing, there's no need to leave us :) .

It is kind of confused, since one can file AOS from working visa to EB2,EB3 (job based greencard), one can file AOS from student visa to EB1 greencard, further more, anyone can file for EB5 greencard..... which are totally from what we are filing for, marriage based greencard. 

03/23/2017 check cashed 

07/23/2018 interview

07/24/2018 case approved 

07/28/2018 card in hand 

9 minutes ago, kimy33 said:

I think you are right. We all are applying as a spouse of US citizen. They don't care what type of visa you had before as long you entered legally. Those with K1 visa just moving faster because of the process they already pass before adjustment of status application. We all are family based.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.