sunshinestate2013

N-400 - March 2017 Filers

2,795 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Congratulations!

Raleigh is relatively fast, I would have finished the process if my case were not being held at NBC for so long. Other people who are in-line just wait for their local offices backlogs to clear.

All,

So I got through the interview and in my case it was not as pleasant as others have reported:

I got off from work at 7AM and my appointment was at not until 13:20, they ended up calling me in at around about 14:50. The officer was very strict and cold, right after placing me under oath he asked for my social, license, green card, selective service letter, photos, and income tax proof. He said he was glad I brought photos which makes the process "easier", according to him. He went over all the documents and said that he needed to check with his supervisor because of my age (30) and the selective service issue. He warned that my application may be denied on the spot. He got back and said it was all ok and carried on with the interview.

He handed me a piece of paper with a sentence for me to read "Who can vote?" and I wrote the answer on another paper as he watched. He then asked me my questions which I got all right:

What people were brought to America and sold as slaves?

Who writes federal laws?

What's the name of the vice president?

What is the supreme law of the land?

Name your US senator.

Why did colonists fought the English?

After that, he congratulated me and proceeded to go through each page of my very think file as well as my N-400 application. He kept making notation with a red ink pen and stamping along the way. He asked me all of the questions listed towards the end of the application. He then handed me a copy of the U.S constitution and an "immigrant's almanac" booklet. He asked me a lot of questions about my kids, wife and parents. He asked if I had family here, and I said no. He asked if I was going to petition to bring family members over and I said no, he replied "good". As we walked out of his office he congratulated me and said that I should be getting a notice in the mail and that I need to bring the questionnaire along with my GC and a black in pen to the ceremony. 

I came out of there thinking I was going to have a heart attack, I don't know how but I got though it and it's done. Next stop the oath ceremony!!!

I would like to point put that all throughout the morning the office ket holding small ceremonies over in an adjacent room they have, 4 in total. Each had about 30 people in it. When I walked out I asked a girl how long was it from interview to ceremony and she said 1 month. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, casualuser said:

Not at all. I have placed SR on my case on Aug 24th while my wife's case was left undisturbed. This SR is still listed as unassigned. My wife's case has moved to in-line on September 1st and her appointment was scheduled on September 6th. My case has moved to in-line a day after that (09/07) and no interview is scheduled yet, which additionally took me by surprise. Since Raleigh is one of the fastest offices, I expected I am already in the bucket of old cases and I should have an interview scheduled quickly, but no, It seems another wait is coming.

It might probably seem hilarious why I get inpatient after just 4 days from the time I was placed "in-line". It all depends on context. At least two users in this thread reported getting the "interview scheduled" notification on the very next day after they were placed in-line (and the "in-line" change also had happened after a 4 month delay), my wife got her notification 2 working days after being placed in-line, so I do not know why after 4 days I only have radio silence. Could be the service request? Or sudden surge of background clearances in cases older that mine? Maybe interviews are scheduled in large batches every week or two? Who knows, but as soon as anything changes I will report it here.

USCIS is full of surprises.

Thanks @casualuser!

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, H1GC2010N40032017 said:

Hi All,

Here is my time line of N400.  I am stuck after FP. For my wife interview date came on Oct 03 2017 after FP on April 17 2017. But for me still stuck on FP notice sent. It looks like long wait for Nebraska Service Center and Boston MA local office. Kindly let me know what were your experiences on this.

I filed in March 2017

03/21/17 Application sent

03/22/17 Delivered to USCIS

04/03/17 NOA received

04/17/17 Fingerprints

I actually submitted my application on 03/06/2017. Still stuck....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@Pennywise thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on getting through the interview successfully! That's too bad that the officer was not nice... I am even more surprised at  the reaction to the question about the relatives: if somebody happens to say that he/she is going to petition for the non-US relatives it can be the reason for the rejection of the citizenship application? I hope that is not the case.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Pennywise said:

He asked if I was going to petition to bring family members over and I said no, he replied "good".

@Yuliya LipinaIt could mean anything, maybe the guy does not like immigration at all, or maybe he despises "chain immigration". Whatever the reason he cannot legally deny citizenship based on your plans to bring family members, but he certainly can delay the case.

Anyways, congratulations @Pennywise and I hope you will get your oath letter soon!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
10 hours ago, Pennywise said:

All,

So I got through the interview and in my case it was not as pleasant as others have reported:

I got off from work at 7AM and my appointment was at not until 13:20, they ended up calling me in at around about 14:50. The officer was very strict and cold, right after placing me under oath he asked for my social, license, green card, selective service letter, photos, and income tax proof. He said he was glad I brought photos which makes the process "easier", according to him. He went over all the documents and said that he needed to check with his supervisor because of my age (30) and the selective service issue. He warned that my application may be denied on the spot. He got back and said it was all ok and carried on with the interview.

He handed me a piece of paper with a sentence for me to read "Who can vote?" and I wrote the answer on another paper as he watched. He then asked me my questions which I got all right:

Who writes federal laws?

Name your US senator.

After that, he congratulated me and proceeded to go through each page of my very think file as well as my N-400 application. He kept making notation with a red ink pen and stamping along the way. He asked me all of the questions listed towards the end of the application. He then handed me a copy of the U.S constitution and an "immigrant's almanac" booklet. He asked me a lot of questions about my kids, wife and parents. He asked if I had family here, and I said no. He asked if I was going to petition to bring family members over and I said no, he replied "good". As we walked out of his office he congratulated me and said that I should be getting a notice in the mail and that I need to bring the questionnaire along with my GC and a black in pen to the ceremony. 

I came out of there thinking I was going to have a heart attack, I don't know how but I got though it and it's done. Next stop the oath ceremony!!!

I would like to point put that all throughout the morning the office ket holding small ceremonies over in an adjacent room they have, 4 in total. Each had about 30 people in it. When I walked out I asked a girl how long was it from interview to ceremony and she said 1 month. 

Congratulations!!

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, Pennywise said:

All,

Who writes federal laws?

Name your US senator.

it seems it was kind of awkward. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the experience, anyway.

I sent papers on March (Raleigh NC office), finger prints on April 20th, not even In Line yet ''/ 

8 hours ago, vegano said:

it seems it was kind of awkward. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the experience, anyway.

I sent papers on March (Raleigh NC office), finger prints on April 20th, not even In Line yet ''/ 

Congratulations 🎈🍾🎊🎉 

My interview schedule is 09/26.

I am nervous 😍

Timeline
10 hours ago, vegano said:

I was curious what is your status. From my experience, as long as you are not in-line, your file is in Missouri at NBC and Raleigh does not have it under their control yet. They let me off the hook recently, on September 7th, and my case moved right away. I think you can now definitely place a service request saying that your case is out of normal processing.

Hi Everyone,

I did not register for selective service since I am now 30yrs old and I was on F-1 visa status until age 27. I believe we only have to apply for selective service if we were 26 or below with permanent resident status, is that correct? Could someone please guide me if I am good to go and should not have any issues regarding not have registered for selective service while I go for the citizenship interview?

Thank you much.

Timeline

@jomfer

My understanding is that as long as you are on non-immigrant visa you should not register, so you are good to go.

10 minutes ago, casualuser said:

@jomfer

My understanding is that as long as you are on non-immigrant visa you should not register, so you are good to go.

Thank you friend.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My application was mailed in March 2017 (receipt date 03/03/2017)

The finger printing was done 03/23/2017 West Palm Beach FL

No updates after that.

Today I tried to do a Service request but it says:

Your application or petition is currently within the posted processing times. An inquiry may not be created at this time. Further information about recent processing times can be viewed on the uscis.gov webpage.

How are you guys creating SR with USCIS ?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I called customer serve and was told that West Palm Beach FL is still processing Oct 2016 cases and I need to wait until then to open a SR.

We were planning to go on a cruise in November and now I am worried if the interview dates come up on those same days !

Anyway to try and get better updates on my case?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.