3 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I have been on this forum reading threads a lot during my process, and I wanted to give back by sharing my interview experience with you. So a little bit about me: I'm a female student, not married, have lived in the U.S. for 16 years, had a green card for more than 5 years, got it through the lottery.

My appointment was 8:40AM at the Federal Building in DTLA. I got to the building at 8:10AM. The line in front of the Federal Building at 8:10AM was already moderately long, I waited at least 15 minutes in line before I got to the security at the entrance of the building. They made me take off my little boots I was wearing, but other people with smaller shoes (like flats) didn't have to. Also remember to take your phone out of your bag and put it next to your bag in the tub. The security guard found and took out of my purse two bottles of prescription pills, which he made a joke about, and I said something along the lines of "just in case!" with a smile and he easily let me through.

I used the restroom in the lobby, then went to the 6th floor and room that's assigned on my letter. The room that's actually on my letter was an office style room (with cubicles as well as individual interview rooms) across the hall from the waiting room, and everyone assigned to that room like me was waiting in the waiting room. The security guard in front of the interview room took my letter. The waiting room was very comfortable and had a TV playing current news as well as some plants, pictures on the wall of people smiling, and a small play section with toys for children. I sat in the waiting room with about 50 other people. This very elderly Asian man was called for his interview at one point, and he turned around with a huge grin and waved at everyone else in the waiting room, which I thought was really adorable and heartwarming. Interestingly, I felt like I waited a very short time in the waiting room, as I was called before others who were there before me. My interviewer actually came to the waiting room to call me in person, whereas most others' names were called on a loudspeaker that plays in the waiting room, a name being called once every 10 minutes or so.

I went with him across the hall into the office-like room with lots of cubicles, and went to his actual office in the back. He first had me swear I tell the truth, and then I sat down and he asked me for my green card and my California State ID card (I don't drive). That's all he asked me to show, even though I brought lots of other stuff related to my application. So he first had me do the civics exam "to get it over with!". He wrote my answers down pretty much verbatim on a worksheet he had in front of him, which had 10 questions on it. As you know, after getting 6 right, it's over, you pass. These were the questions I was asked:

1. What is freedom of religion?

2. When was the Constitution written?

3. How many people are in the Senate?

4. When must one sign up for Selective Service?

5. What is the ocean on the East Coast?

6. Name a state that borders Canada.

Then, he made me read "The American flag is red, white, and blue." and then write the same sentence in a spot on a piece of paper. Ridiculously easy.

Next, he went through the entire N-400 I had submitted, a copy of which was in front of him. We actually went through all of the things in the application that I had answered, but it did not take long because I am not married and have no kids. He asked me some interest-based questions, like how my undergrad experience was at the university I went to, and also what I am researching in grad school. And he did ask me about the trips I had taken outside the U.S. since getting my green card, and they were all short winter break trips to my parents' country, to "visit grandparents". Then came all the "no" questions. He looked at me in the eyes for each one, the ones about crimes, guerilla, drugs, unpaid taxes, Communism, all that stuff.

Then, it was done. He told me that I passed! He had me sign a piece of paper he printed out that showed all my basic personal info, that would go on my naturalization certificate. And then he gave me a pamphlet about American facts, a flyer about "what to expect at the oath ceremony", and also the Form N-652/approval notice. Then, he told me that the next oath ceremony would be mid-February, but I probably won't be able to get into that one, so I would probably have my oath in March or later (update: I got the mid-February oath ceremony). He told me I should expect my oath notification in the mail in a month to 90 days (update: I got it in the mail in 8 days).

I wasn't particularly worried about passing the interview, but I felt so happy and relieved when I stepped out of the office and out of the Federal Building.

I hope this helps you know what to expect, as well as quell any nervousness you may have about this. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 11 months later...

Thank you for sharing this. I’m expecting my interview date in the mail any day now and I was wondering how it all goes down. I live in FL but it can’t be that much different. I think a lot depends on the personality of the interviewer too. I mean I know they have to be nice and all but they can be quite intimidating lol. 

Thanks again and congrats!!! Can’t wait to have mine over with. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.