JayJay

Latest Update - for your amusements...

47 posts in this topic

So, here's what's been going on recently. We have our interview in less that two weeks (the Wednesday after next, to be exact). And I am about to vent - so don't read unless you like a good, long, ironic, slightly "conspiricy theory" infused laugh. I'll make a list:

1) My poor mother - bless her - has not sent my birth certificate until now. She forgot totally about it. So that's hopefully winging it's way across the ocean as we speak. God only knows what we'll do if it doesn't get here in time.

2) My MIL...pulled out of giving us a ride to the cities with less than two weeks to speare, suggesting we "re-book". The reason for this was because she didn't feel comfortable leaving the animals at home by themselves. When I said we couldn't re-book because messages didn't get through properly she didn't seem very concerned and asked "Why?". I then said that if by some miracle we COULD rebook, it'd be something like a few more MONTHS before the next appointment. She thought that wasn't such a bad idea. I nearly flipped my lid.

3) Our taxes have been taken over, and turned inside out and NOW, after I did them all PERFECTLY myself, the MIL has decided for us that filing seperately is a better idea, for the sake of a $300 low income thingy he could file, which we can't file if we file a foreign income exclusion "because TaxACT said so". Meaning we now have no joint income tax return. Either. and believe me, if I SAY anything, the money comes first. It ALWAYS comes first.

4) We have no joint bank account.

5) We have hardly any pictures.

6) Ben doesn't get that you can't argue with the immigration officers about the value of evidence. And that a letter from both our employers stating that we've put the same address for a contact address on our papers might not be enough. Which is just great *makes exasperated face at thought of an argument in the interview, and the subsequent plane ticket that would have to be bought...*

7) My sister in law (love her) has takent the entire day off work to take us into the interview. We have the following as evidence:

• A few pictures of us together (Ben hates having his picture taken...) at Xmas, our wedding and Thanksgiving (where I look depressed!)
  • A joint health insurance policy.
  • Letters addressed to su at the same address.
  • Possibly a letter from my friend Em across the road saying we're a real couple.

I don't really know what else we can bring - every where we turn, this entire thing is being opposed. It's crazyness...I threatened to walk out and live elsewhere and send for Ben later on the other day because I cannot stand living here anymore - the next day, the ride fell through...see what I mean about conspiricy?

Anyone with any more "evidenciary ideas for the immigrationally destitute", please feel free to add them... :)

Edited by JayJay

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just find it annoying and yr ranting is funny

I luv yr MIL she is great God Bless and all the best :thumbs:

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Your mother-in-law re-did your taxes?!?!?!?! Um, how could she do that? I mean, you and your husband, personally, need to sign them before you send them. What did she do, forge your signatures?

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Sorry Jay Jay to hear of the headaches.

1. How about your auto insurance? A car in both or your name registered?

2. Any Christmas cards ?

3. Any bills of any kind that show you both on them? I know Ben got sick a while back.

4. Any more neighbors you could ask to write a letter showing you as married couple?

Just a few ideas and wishing you all the best on your interview.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey fellow Minnesotan :wacko: Sounds like things are pretty stressful. How about we trade interview times? Uh, except ours isn't scheduled yet :whistle:

Hmmm, do you guys rent an apartment together and have both your names on the lease? Do you have a phone bill or cable bill or electricity bill together? Can you put your name on one of those bills? How about opening a joint bank account now?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Marriage is hard enough without all of the added stress of moving to a new country and then dealing with all of this immigration stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :luv:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

Cant you open a joint savings account...... do you have 401K at work with hubby as beneficery? does he has the same? house lease? or letter from the family member who you are living with confirming you both live there? Christmas cards addressed to you both...

JayJay I will be thinking of your both and I am sure you will be fine....

Hugs

Kezzie

Oh, yes, they were taken over, re-done because I couldn't be trusted, apparantly.

We haven't signed them yet. I did them perfectly the first time 'round as well.

Things do get "taken over" around here, and if they're questioned, then you get screamed at or called "ungrateful". It's a bit like living in emotional Beirut - and there'snothing we can do about that until we move - believe me, we've tried.

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

3) Our taxes have been taken over, and turned inside out and NOW, after I did them all PERFECTLY myself, the MIL has decided for us that filing seperately is a better idea, for the sake of a $300 low income thingy he could file, which we can't file if we file a foreign income exclusion "because TaxACT said so". Meaning we now have no joint income tax return. Either. and believe me, if I SAY anything, the money comes first. It ALWAYS comes first.

When doing your taxes, money should always come first. That's what it's all about. If it is to your joint advantage to file separately, then that's what you do. Why would you want to pay more taxes than you actually owe? If the USCIS has a problem with that, you explain that you filed seperately because it was to your advantage. There's no rule or law anywhere that says you must file a joint return even if that results in you ending up with a larger tax burden. :no: You still filed each using your joint residence as an address, no?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If the USCIS has a problem with that, you explain that you filed seperately because it was to your advantage. There's no rule or law anywhere that says you must file a joint return even if that results in you ending up with a larger tax burden. :no: You still filed each using your joint residence as an address, no?

Plus, you'd still be filing as married filing seperately right? Lots of couples file married but seperate.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Yup - but here's the thing: we don't really have any other evidence.

We can't even open a joint account, because of credit issues. We have no 401k, we don't have our own place, or any joint bills. The only thing we have jointly is medical insurance. We have two christmas cards we could add, but that's it.

The main issue is that we're so stressed as well, that this is just terrible timing, and of course then these obstacles keep coming at us as well.

I suppose you'd have to "be there" to get what a mind bendingly weird situation this is...

And then the thing is, USCIS will look at this very differently than us - they will see a couple who file married, only seperately, who share no bills, expenses, who don't own their own home or rent a place together and therefore have a lease, who's co-sponsor has also simply not bothered to get hold of a copy of her birth certificate for the interview (same person who pulled out of the ride...), should we need it, and who look mostly depressed in pictures together (which are few) except the wedding pics.

See why I'm worried? I'm also really, really stressed - so I do apologise if I sound down, and non-positive. I do love y'all :)

Edited by JayJay

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

start snapping pics real quick to add to the few u have.

if he has a bank account already have him just add u to it. if that bank wont allow it then withdrawl everything and find a bank that will add u. or at least threaten them to take it out and that might change their minds.

just relax and good luck.

Jayjay... you can get a copy of her birth certificate just go to the town hall in the town were she was born you fill in a slip with her name and her parents names her date of birth and they will give you a copy.... I did it for my husband even before we were married and I did it for my father inlaw for our interview....

Kezzie

Yup - but here's the thing: we don't really have any other evidence.

We can't even open a joint account, because of credit issues. We have no 401k, we don't have our own place, or any joint bills. The only thing we have jointly is medical insurance. We have two christmas cards we could add, but that's it.

The main issue is that we're so stressed as well, that this is just terrible timing, and of course then these obstacles keep coming at us as well.

I suppose you'd have to "be there" to get what a mind bendingly weird situation this is...

And then the thing is, USCIS will look at this very differently than us - they will see a couple who file married, only seperately, who share no bills, expenses, who don't own their own home or rent a place together and therefore have a lease, who's co-sponsor has also simply not bothered to get hold of a copy of her birth certificate for the interview (same person who pulled out of the ride...), should we need it, and who look mostly depressed in pictures together (which are few) except the wedding pics.

See why I'm worried? I'm also really, really stressed - so I do apologise if I sound down, and non-positive. I do love y'all :)

Relax, will ya'? We didn't have most of the things you mention either. Yes an apartment leased together and joint bank accounts and medical but that's it. No joint bills or any such thing. I simply refuse to make a big deal of getting two names on a bill that only needs one. No married couple does this why should we?

Just relax. It'll be fine. :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline

Credit rating has nothing to do with opening bank accounts. I realize you may not want to keep a great deal of money in a joint account because you have some fear that a creditor could take it.....they can't just do that over here btw there would have to be a suit first, then a judgment, then a lien filed - by that time you could move all your money....but a joint account to show the USCIS man sure would be a good idea.

Yes birth certs can be ordered online. That's how we got Wes'. Hope your mother is sending the long form one and not the little short form variety.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.