Mykonos

Please help...Did we file our taxes wrong?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered the US in Feb 2016 on K1 visa. My fiance and I got married in April. I got my greencard in September and started working.

We just recently filed our taxes online. It was accepted, and I thought everything was ok, but I have just discovered that since I was both a resident and nonresident in 2016, that I was dual status and we needed to submit a different return for this? I read the pinned post, but am still  little confused. I didnt have any income from Canada at any point in 2016, except for about 3k in February, but that was before I even entered the US. Do you think this is ok that we filed normally, or do we have to file an amended return?

ROC Timeline

I-751 package sent------------------June 15, 2018

Received------------------------------June 18, 2018

NOA date-----------------------------June 28, 2018

Biometrics----------------------------June 12, 2019

Approved-----------------------------June 13, 2019

Care Received------------------------????

AOS Timeline

Spoiler

AOS/EAD/AP package sent------------------April 22, 2016

Received--------------------------------------April 25, 2016 [Day 0]

NOA date-------------------------------------April 29, 2016 [Day 4]

Service Request------------------------------May 27, 2016 [Day 32]

Biometrics Letter Received------------------June 11, 2016 [Day 47]

Biometrics Appointment---------------------June 24, 2016 [Day 60]

Service request for EAD/AP-----------------July 8, 2016 [Day 74]

AP approved----------------------------------July 16, 2016 [Day 82]

EAD card being produced--------------------July 16,2016 [Day 82]

EAD card mailed------------------------------July 21, 2016 [Day 87]

EAD/AP combo card received----------------July 25, 2016 [Day 91]

Interview Scheduled-------------------------August 2, 2016[Day 199]

Interview--------------------------------------September 2, 2016 (Approved)

Card received----------------------------------September 26, 2016

K1 Visa Timeline

Spoiler

107 days from I-129F to Approval

I-129F sent------------------Aug 31, 2015

NOA1 (E-notification)-------Sept 4, 2015

NOA2 (E-notification)-------Oct 1, 2015

NVC received-----------------Oct 27, 2015

Consulate received----------Oct 30, 2015

Interview---------------------Dec 15, 2015 - Approved!!

Visa Issued-------------------Dec 30, 2015

Visa Received----------------Jan 4, 2015

POE----------------------------Feb 17, 2016

Wedding----------------------April 9, 2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Working through my taxes now (with a very similar timeline to you).

You did not attach a statement electing to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes for the entire year (although this was an option)

However, you do meet the substantial presence test for 2016, and therefore you are a resident for tax purposes for the entire year. I believe your 3K should have been declared on line 7. (Use this page to determine the USD amount)

As far as I can tell, this means you are not dual status for tax purposes (you weren't earning at the start of 2016 and you're not claiming any treaty exemptions anyway, so I don't know why you would want to be considered as such)

You may have to amend, what does that involve? Is it free? 

Don't take my word for this, I started researching US tax tonight.

It's complicated and different than Canadian taxes where you only count income from the portion you were a resident.  You were supposed to put it down and then use another form, I forget the form name, to show you had foreign income that cant be taxed and exclude it.  However, to be honest i wouldnt file an amended return because regardless you exclude the income anyhow. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're only meant to put it down on a separate form if you're asserting dual status.

Let's work it through, the link above says,

You are a dual status alien when you have been both a U.S. resident alien and a nonresident alien in the same tax year.

Ok fair enough, this seems like Mykonos situation, s/he was not in the US at the start of the year and was in the US at the end. But lets check to make sure.

What is a "resident alien"? See Determining Alien Tax Status

you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet one of two tests. You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year (January 1-December 31).

Mykonos didn't have a green card on Jan 1, but does s/he meet the substantial presence test?

By the end of the tax year, Mykonos was present for 31 days during 2016 plus a further 183 in 2016, therefore Mykonos is considered resident for tax purposes for the entire of 2016.

As a resident alien for the entire of 2016, s/he will have to pay tax on (or at least declare) the 3K earned in Canada at the start of 2016.

If you are a U.S. resident alien, you must report all ... income on your U.S. tax return. You must report these amounts whether they are earned within or outside the United States.

Whilst we're here, to ANYONE reading this, do not forget to file your FBAR. The penalty risk is so great that they really should warn you about this with a dedicated letter or something.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:12 AM, jamesuk113 said:

You're only meant to put it down on a separate form if you're asserting dual status.

Let's work it through, the link above says,

Ok fair enough, this seems like Mykonos situation, s/he was not in the US at the start of the year and was in the US at the end. But lets check to make sure.

What is a "resident alien"? See Determining Alien Tax Status

Mykonos didn't have a green card on Jan 1, but does s/he meet the substantial presence test?

By the end of the tax year, Mykonos was present for 31 days during 2016 plus a further 183 in 2016, therefore Mykonos is considered resident for tax purposes for the entire of 2016.

I want to clear smth up. On this site: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test, it says.

"Substantial Presence Test

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year."

The term "calender year" here refers to the 12 months used to meet the substantial presence test. Not that the person is a tax resident for the entire year.

On this site: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/residency-starting-and-ending-dates, it says:

"Residency Starting Date under the Substantial Presence Test

If you meet the substantial presence test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year."

Meaning exactly what it says. If they are qualifiying under the substantial presence test they are a tax reside only from the first day present. They will need to include an election statement choosing to be a tax resident for the entire 2016 in order to claim FEIE earned earlier in the year, as you can only use this exemption if you are a tax resident when the income is earned.

True WITH the election statement.

Whilst we're here, to ANYONE reading this, do not forget to file your FBAR. The penalty risk is so great that they really should warn you about this with a dedicated letter or something.

Here is a VJ link that explains some more about FBAR for other ppl reading. If you arrived late in the tax year, you do not need to file this. 

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.