hrbiswas

Visiting my husband abroad during CR-1 visa process

4 posts in this topic

Hey Visa Journeyers,

I have a question concerning leaving my job and possibly visiting my husband for hopefully the duration of the visa process.

I (American) sent out my petition end of August (5 months ago) for my British husband living in Wales. We have been talking about me leaving my job and staying with him on a 6 month tourist visa in Wales (after receiving the NOA2) and, hopefully, by that time, the process will be finished and we’ll return to America together.

My question is whether or not it’s important for me to have a job to come back to. My parents have agreed to co-sponsor, but I wasn’t sure if it was better for me to keep my job from the government's perspective to prove I can support him in the future.

Also, I’m wondering if anyone out there has tried to stay with your husband/wife in their country without having an income and if that’s created issues or if it ended up being fine?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys may have :)

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Income isn't an issue if you have a cosponsor. You will need to show that you have't abandoned your domicile in the U.S. and actually intend to live there, rather than just trying to help your husband obtain residency. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I would research it very well before you do, you need to get 2 affidavits during the the proces from K1 to ajustment of status. you need to show an income of atleast 100% of the povertyline (K1) and 125% afterthat for ajustment of status, for every dependent you need an additional 4000.   You can do this with your parents as cosponsers, but you need to be shure that they meet the incomerecuirements,and posibly get a 2nd cosponser. if you read more in to this then you will find that people close to the income requirements or using cosponsers are often asked to get a 2nd cosposer. make shure that you have this before you quit your job so that your not in the process and then get denied on income. the cosponser needs to be an american citezen, it will not be posible to use your fiances income or any of his famelys income to get the 134 and 864 forms aprroved.

Edited by David&Femke

Youre filing for IR/CR visa right? Based on what Ive read so far, and As ConOfficer said, income is no problem if you have a joint sponsor, as long as your joint sponsor earns at least 125% of the poverty line ALONE, since you wouldn't have any income by the time the interview at the embassy happens. You also have to maintain your US domicile so you can still be the primary sponsor. and also make sure you have somebody accepting your mails at your US address in case they send you something important related to the visa.

Good luck

10/27/2012 got married

2 dogs n 5 cats later....

➺ 03/28/2017 I-130 Sent

➺ 04/3/2017  NOA-1

------------------------a whoping 261 days later

➺ 12/20/2017 NOA-2 Date

➺ 01/02/2018 Case sent to NVC

==============================NVC======================================

➺ 01/23/18 Case number and IIN assigned! 

➺ 01/25/18 DS-261, choice of agent  filled 

➺ 01/26/18 AOS bill invoiced

➺ 01/27/18 AOS paid 

➺ 02/01/18 IV bill invoiced and paid

➺ 02/07/18  DS-260 completed and submitted

➺ 05/11/18 AOS and IV packages sent (EMS from Indonesia)

➺ 05/16/18 IV and AOS package delivered to NVC

➺ 05/23/18 Got CC at NVC!  

=============================EMBASSY=====================================

➺ 05/31/18  Interview date assigned 

➺ 06/29/18 Medical Check (a week later the RS.Premier Bintaro sent the result to US Embassy)

➺ 07/31/18  interview!-- CEAC showed "Issued" a day later

➺ 08/03/18 Visa in hand

➺ 12/16/18 Point of entry: Houston

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.