IguanaCouple

N-400 without physical green card?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hello, 

I'm a permanent resident of the US and have been eligible for citizenship for about a year now but I never applied. 

I got robbed last week and lost everything I had in my wallet including my green card, DL everything. The only thing I have on me right now is my Israeli passport and my SSN card. 

I need a driver's license but the local DMV is refusing to give me a replacement without seeing my GC. 

I went online to get a new GC but it turns out we have to pay $545 for it and it will take 6 weeks or so!!!

I have a picture of my GC, though and I wanted to know if I could just file N-400 without getting a new GC. I'd hate to pay $545 to the feds after getting robbed and losing $1,700+ that was my rent money. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

"If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must submit photocopies (front and back) of your Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. You will also need to bring your Permanent Resident Card and a state-issued identification such as a driver’s license to your interview with USCIS. If you have lost your Permanent Resident Card, attach a copy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. "

Go to https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 and check out Naturalization Requirements Information (PDF, 173 KB)

USCIS
-------------------------------------

NOA 1 May 28, 2013

Transferred to CSC Dec 19, 2013

NOA 2 Dec 24, 2013

NVC

------------------------------------

NVC Received case Jan 06, 2014

Case # assigned Jan 29, 2014
Received DS-261 Feb 05, 2014

Submitted DS-261 Feb 06, 2014

AOS Bill Invoiced Feb 06, 2014
AOS Bill paid Feb 06, 2014
AOS Bill stauts "PAID" Feb 10, 2014

DS-261 Accpeted March 6, 2014

IV Application Bill available March 7, 2014

IV Application Bill paid March 15, 2014
Received DS-260
March 18, 2014

AOS sent April 18th,2014
IV packages sent April 16, 2014

Case Completed May 16th, 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Make sure you have a police report that you were robbed and also report to USCIS that your GC was stolen. My GC had expired and it was not a problem filing with no current GC as long as you had a photocopy of it.

To double check I would call the USCIS or make an infopass appt. to ask for advice.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 2/3/2017 at 12:12 AM, Zippydoodah said:

Make sure you have a police report that you were robbed and also report to USCIS that your GC was stolen. My GC had expired and it was not a problem filing with no current GC as long as you had a photocopy of it.

To double check I would call the USCIS or make an infopass appt. to ask for advice.

Did they ask you to being in the expired GC for the interview though?

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, ckibs said:

Did they ask you to being in the expired GC for the interview though?

No, only asked me for passport at my interview. Biometrics did ask to look at the expired GC, and I surrendered it at the naturalization ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.