Heracles

Fifth graders held over classroom sex

55 posts in this topic

I think it's the kids who don't do well in school and grew up to be an adult with their own kids raising them. Those generations don't get the same hard treating as the older generations because of the average parents.

Good luck to you and everyone else when you raise your children. If you so much as back hand your child your ### is in jail. Department of children and families will be at your doorstep in a matter of minutes. They will make your life a living hell. Then you can kiss off the immigration process too because of the new adam walsh act. My ### was paddled in school and my knuckles smacked with a wooden ruler by nuns, that is unheard of these days. I was hit with whatever my father could get his hands on, try that these days and then say it's the average parents..

Nowadays we have psychologist state how bad corporal punishment is and that other disciplinary means should be used. This is all good and well as they deal with kids on an individual basis for about an hour a session, per week, and they hurry them out of the office. Whereas people like teachers have to deal, aka babysit, 25 of them 5 days a week and put of with their ###### while their hands are tied.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to excel in school because of hardship, and punishment? That's about as bizarre a statement as I ever heard...I would not send any kid of mine to a school where physical punishment was incorporated into the teaching programme.

Clearly, there is a problem with some schools, however many schools have no discipline problems without the use of physical punishment (my 8 year old goes to such a school) so saying it's all as a result of not being able to resort to using physical punishment is obviously missing something.

You sound like a person who lets or would let their kids run amok in public..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In Brazil these days you even get 6 year olds saying "If you touch me I'll tell the judge and he'll lock you up". I'm against beatings but a little slap in the butt never hurt me or turned me into something evil. My mom would pull my ears if I left stuff lying around and would spank me in the butt if I was being bad. It was never something to leave marks or anything, and nowadays you can't even touch your child. In my hometown if a kid falls down playing the parent is actually called to a hearing to make sure that's what happened. And if your kid hurts himself 3 times, you get a true hearing for not taking proper care of your child. It's too much, it's gotten past security and concern.

Because of this the kids now have power over their parents and teachers and they use it.

Back in my days we respected our teachers so much that I had a math teacher that walked out of the classroom during an exam and nobody even dared look sideways, even if she was gone the entire test. She didn't ever need to leave anyone in charge.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Because of this the kids now have power over their parents and teachers and they use it.

They sure do.

Back in my days we respected our teachers so much that I had a math teacher that walked out of the classroom during an exam and nobody even dared look sideways, even if she was gone the entire test. She didn't ever need to leave anyone in charge.

Exactly. Yet no one seems to ask why things have changed..

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was able to excel in school because of hardship, and punishment? That's about as bizarre a statement as I ever heard...I would not send any kid of mine to a school where physical punishment was incorporated into the teaching programme.

Clearly, there is a problem with some schools, however many schools have no discipline problems without the use of physical punishment (my 8 year old goes to such a school) so saying it's all as a result of not being able to resort to using physical punishment is obviously missing something.

You sound like a person who lets or would let their kids run amok in public..

Oh piss off dude - that's outrageous, and totally not what was said.

You sound like a person who lets or would let their kids run amok in public.

I can only assume you are trying to get a rise out of me with this comment. Well, nothing doing.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
In school, I have found that many people who don't excel in school are those whose parents are easy on them

There is simply no correlation between how parents punish a child and their degree of success in school. It just doesn't make sense to me to try to teach via scare tactics or bullying.

The onus is on parents to teach their child to be respectful in all kinds of environments. This can be done without ever resorting to physical punishment.

Sadly, the parents of these kids are simply not teaching their children to value either themselves or anyone around them. Starting to thrash them on top of this is not going to make some fundamentall change, it would simply move the problem to another arena. However, we've had this argument before and some people simply believe a short sharp shock is the answer to everything.

Teaching discipline, values, self worth, all the tools that a child needs, is hard work. I guess slapping them is the easy option.

Now that I will agree with. I wonder if that can be termed the average parent.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

The parents of these kids have very low expectation for their children. That is where the problem is. My parents have very high expectations of me. If I am unable to fulfill that they had to do whatever there is to do to make it so.

Sure, many parents think they're psychologists when raising their kids. Hmmm....I wonder...LOL

I find in high school, I competed to the top ten out of seven hundred students. Oh yeah, the complaining, the whining starts at the bottom. " I can't do that, I don't wanna do that, I'm sick of it, but this, but that ".....I never complained once. I take school seriously that's why I succeed and have done very well. And, you know...I assert myself very succinctly compared to students of parents who speaks English. I had nobody to help me with English.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Low expectations, or no expectations or simply haven't a clue with parenting. Smacking either the children or the parents isn't going to raise their awareness or achieve goals though. There are a ton of ways of getting children to understand without violence but it does take time and patience.

There is also the reality that not everyone is created with equal learning aptitude. Some people really can't do some things and no amount of cajouling or persuasion is going to change that.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Low expectations, or no expectations or simply haven't a clue with parenting. Smacking either the children or the parents isn't going to raise their awareness or achieve goals though. There are a ton of ways of getting children to understand without violence but it does take time and patience.

Indeed - don't we also teach kids that violence is the low (lazy) road of dealing with problems?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hmm...Interesting. I never hurt a soul in my life. Instead, those kids beat me up, pick on me, treated me like I'm an alien. I always wanted to bruise them. But, you know what made me stop that hatred? It's self-control through discipline of knowing and aware of what will be the right choice, and the wrong choice. You know, being the only Asian in class sticks like a sore thumb. Everyone wants to pick on you.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Well, clearly some do, but others do seem to firmly believe that violence is not only the best solution but the only option.

You have never hurt a soul but you discipline using physical punishment? Of course people survive this treatment, and mete it out the the next genearation, but it isn't the only option and if you know you can deal with these things without it, why do it at all?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

I'm a teacher and let me tell you...there is very little respect between teacher and students these days. It hasn't been that long since I graduated high school myself (11yrs.) and I can even see a drastic difference. I work with high school kids and let me tell you, they talk so much ####### and do what they please because they know how the system works (and it's in their favor).

What are you supposed to do when a student is mocking every word you say, talking back, or just plain ignoring any instruction you give? You could write them up (they couldn't care less), you could sit and argue with them (waste of your breath and only gives them pleasure as you waste class time), or you could send them to the office (the office will eventually kill you). If teachers just started sending kids down to the office every time a problem arose, the office would be busier than the classrooms. But, teachers aren't allowed to do anything, so you're pretty much just stuck. It's a real shame.

I believe our society has created this problem for us. Everything is catered to the kids and not to the educators. Parents aren't spending as much time with their children as they used to. They also believe every darn word that comes out of their child's mouth. Many of the parents I deal with truly think that you are supposed to take their kids and solve any and all problems they may have. It really is a hard job and I'm sick and tired of parents that take no involvement in their child's daily lives until something goes wrong and then they want to stand up and all of a sudden have an opinion.

I don't know what the solution is. You can't physically punish a high school kid. They really are too old for this. But I don't necessarily disagree with it at younger ages. Maybe this would create more of a respect issue and when they made it to high school age we wouldn't have as many disrespectful learners. It's not to necessarily physically hurt the child. I was given "licks" in school and I had my turn at getting hit with a ruler or two. It was never done for no reason at all and I am not "damaged" for life or anything becasue of it. The biggest part of physical punishment was the embarrassment that came along with it. It really wasn't the fact that it hurt that bad but rather everyone else knowing what you were being taken out in the hall for. Kids hate being embarrassed and I have to tell you it really does prevent them from doing a lot of wrong stuff.

With alll this being said, let me also say that I do love my job. There are many hardships that come along with it but it's still my passion and I will keep going to class every day believing in all of my kids. The "bad" ones and the "good" ones...it doesn't matter, I cherish them all! :star: