Trymester3

Please critique 2 ROC Evidence letters

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My brother and my sister would be writing evidence letters for my soon to be ex-wife's ROC Green Card evidence (she will be filing with a divorce waiver. She is a Japanese citizen and I am a US Citizen). There really is no one else suitable to write evidence letters for her. Please let me know if these letters are fine, too long (and if that's a bad thing), or what if anything is wrong with these letters. Also, since we are not filing jointly, can I write an evidence letter for her, or would that defeat the purpose of using the letter as evidence to prove that our marriage was initially entered into under good faith? Name have obviously been changed:

LETTER#1

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is xxxxxxx. I am writing this letter to confirm that the marriage between my brother Trymester and Yoko Ono (formerly known as Yoko Suzuki) was entered into under the purest intentions.

I met Yoko many years ago since she had been my brother’s girlfriend since his first trip to Japan in 2005. They spent the majority of their history together in a long-distance relationship. My brother would visit her in Japan for months at a time and live with her (I believe technically he was only allowed 180 days per calendar year under a Temporary Visitor status). She would visit him in New York City and stay with him as well. They got tired of the back and forth travel and decided to get married. After so many years together, it was almost like they were already married anyway. It was a laborious process that my brother tackled on his own to avoid lawyer fees, and after visa paperwork, affidavits, etc. they eventually got married on April 14, 2014.

I was living in Las Vegas, Nevada by then. Since then, I’ve hung out with the 2 of them whenever I would visit New York City. They even came to visit me in Las Vegas in September 2015 and stayed in my home for a few days. Yoko always helps me with my costume designs when I dress up for New York Comic Con and The Village Halloween Parade. Since my brother Trymester says that the divorce is a friendly split, I still have plans to visit NYC and work with her for many more October events this year and going forward.

My brother Trymester and Yoko are still friendly, so I wish each of them the best of luck in all of their dreams and goals.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

LETTER #2

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is Zzzzzzzzzz. I am writing this letter to confirm that the marriage between my brother Trymester and Yoko Ono (formerly known as Yoko Suzuki) was entered into under the purest intentions.

I know this for a fact because that is my brother and she is Yoko. She has been around me and my family for over a decade now. Even before they were married, she would join us during important family dinners (like Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my Mother’s Birthday), because even though she was just his girlfriend at the time, she was like family. My brother held her in the highest regard, and even though they are no longer together, I still have a lot of respect for her because she has always been very kind and sweet with me.

I was actually the witness on their marriage date of April 14, 2014. Yoko was my sister-in-law and since she and my brother Trymester say that the split is amicable, she is still my friend.  I helped her whenever she needed a favor (like someone to take care of her pet shrimp while my brother and her were out of town), and if she has an emergency now, I still may be compelled to help if I can. I can attest to her character. She is a hard-worker and currently works at a salon in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Right now, she would rather live in New York than in Japan, and I think that she should be able to make any decision she’d like. I don’t have a problem with it. My brother says he doesn’t have a problem with it. Therefore, I hope that the right thing is done and you can remove the conditions on her Green Card without too much hassle. Thank You for your time.

-Zzzzzzzzzz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

They are fine. You can write a letter, too, you know. :)

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Since she is filing solo with a divorce waiver, my letter would just be something like:

Dear _____,

The marriage was entered into under good faith, but we decided to split up due to too many differences and wanting different things out of life. We are

still friendly so please remove her conditions on the Green Card. Thanks.

-Trymester

Does that seem about right?

Thanks again for all of your help throughout this process.

I think the letters from your family are fine. Your letter is a bit brief. Dont be afraid to write about your relationship and the breakdown of it. Similar to what your siblings wrote. I mean you dont have to write a 5 page essay- but a more comprehensive overview. Maybe something about how you met, how long you dated and that you married with the intention of it being forever. Then a basic statement that unfortunately things have changed and you found you want different things in life.

No one actually uses the term "good faith" when speaking casually. Its an odd phrase specific to USCIS. So its fine to use the phrase but its better to demonstrate it if you know what I mean. Instead of directly stating 'this was good faith' show it. Explain it. That you wanted to be with her regardless of location and you chose the US because..? (family, jobs,language ease, job opportunities). You couldve just as easily moved to her- well maybe not easily but you wouldve been willing to if it was necessary.  You dont have to justify your use of the visa system per say but rather demonstrate that you used it appropriately. That there was a legit relationship making you guys eligible to use it rather then it simply being used to help a 'friend' obtain benefits.

Also please make sure your wife reads over the letters before you submit them so in case questions are asked she is familiar with the contents. It is HER ROC packet, so she should know everything that is being included in it. 

You can also get affidavits from 3rd parties that are not so connected to you all. Im not sure of your housing situation but if its a lease of some kind perhaps a basic letter from mgmt that states you both reside (resided) there as a marital couple. A letter from a neighbor stating they observed you guys as a marital couple. Sometimes people include letters from their boss stating they knew of the person to be married and is now divorcing/divorced. If you or she always accompanied you to a specific Dr- a letter from them stating you guys always came together and they observed you as a couple. 

Affidavits are generally considered weak evidence, but its a good idea to include them anyway. What else do you have as evidence?

Other evidence includes:

-6-10 photos of us taken during our marriage with a sentence or 2 describing each photo

-A letter from HealthFirst insurance showing both of our names

-A copy of our Marriage Certificate

-2014 and 2015 tax returns with both of our names on them.

-A sheet from the NY Eye and Ear Infirmary listing me as her husband

-A print-out showing that both of us were on the same cell phone account

And that's really all there is...

Would any USCIS letters be able to be used as evidence, since they were sent after our marriage date, or is that kind of pointless since they should already have those too?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.