Inesmlm

Us citizenship after divorce

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Good afternoon, 

It has been 3 years this January that I've had a green card - I got the first one on January 2014 and I got the 10 year green card in December 2016. 

I was married to my ex-wife from august 2013 to November 2016 when our divorce was finalized (but were separated since July 2016).

1 - am I eligible to apply for dual citizenship? 

2 - where on n-400 is the option for dual citizenship and not just full us citizenship?

3 - my whole uscis process is in Indiana and I'm moving to Florida. Does this affect the citizenship process? To where do I send the N-400 form now? 

4 - how long does it take from the moment you apply until you have citizenship?

i travel a lot between the us and my home country and my daughter is actually an American citizen, so I find it easier to just have both passports, same thing will happen with her. 

Thank you in advance for any help provided! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, once you divorce you have to apply under the 5 year rule, 90 days before your 5 years you can apply for citizenship

be careful of travelling too much, you must live and work here, physical presence in the country counts towards citizenship

and you might have problems with travelling too much with your GC if immigration thinks you are more in your home country than here, and as said it will go against your being able to obtain citizenship

You will not be able to apply for citizenship under the 3 year rule because you have divorced already. You will be eligible in January 2019.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Thank you for the quick answers! 

I know I can't be outside the US for long periods of time. I just normally visit family for special occasions, summer holidays and Christmas, never longer than 2 weeks. 

I really thought I could after 3 years even with a divorce. I read somewhere that I have to send the divorce papers when applying for citizenship, so I'm guessing that's when applying under the 5 year rule? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

correct, you can only apply under the 3 year rule if you continue to be married with the usc, you have to prove once again that your marriage is bona fide, in good faith, just as the first time, same address, taxes together, bills together, everything in both your names

since you are divorced or even separated, you don't live under the same roof and it is not a bona fide marriage anymore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.