MR-RA

NVC CHECKLIST HELP!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello guys, so just today I received an email from nvc with regards to our checklist that my husband needs to bring during his interview. I attached an image of what the nvc told me to do. The first image was for my dad and they said that he doesn't meet the minimum poverty guideline so does that mean we need to find another sponsor? Or we just need to fill up the I864A and let my husband bring it to his interview. What we submitted to nvc before was just the I864 for my dad and I864A for my mom. Also, the lower image shows what I need to do. In my case, I wasn't able to file tax since I just arrived here in the US last April 2016 since I studied college in the Philippines. Please help me because I don't know what to do. Im still studying for the NCLEX that I'll be taking soon, as with my husband he is already a registered nurse here in the US.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
12 hours ago, MR-RA said:

he first image was for my dad and they said that he doesn't meet the minimum poverty guideline so does that mean we need to find another sponsor?

You should definitely find another sponsor. You know best, does your income plus all of your co-sponsors income pass the poverty guidelines? For a household size of 4 (you, your spouse, your dad, and your mom) you should have an income of $30,375. If you don't meet this, you will need to seek out additional sponsors and have them fill out the appropriate form and provide you with tax / income information.

12 hours ago, MR-RA said:

Also, the lower image shows what I need to do. In my case, I wasn't able to file tax since I just arrived here in the US last April 2016 since I studied college in the Philippines. Please help me because I don't know what to do. Im still studying for the NCLEX that I'll be taking soon, as with my husband he is already a registered nurse here in the US.

There are a limited set of circumstances in which you don't need to file for taxes. You can find a list of these reasons laid out nicely in this article. Please read it and see if you do qualify. If you don't qualify, then you will have to retroactively file taxes (even though you may not have made anything). 

1 hour ago, agripa said:

You should definitely find another sponsor. You know best, does your income plus all of your co-sponsors income pass the poverty guidelines? For a household size of 4 (you, your spouse, your dad, and your mom) you should have an income of $30,375. If you don't meet this, you will need to seek out additional sponsors and have them fill out the appropriate form and provide you with tax / income information.

There are a limited set of circumstances in which you don't need to file for taxes. You can find a list of these reasons laid out nicely in this article. Please read it and see if you do qualify. If you don't qualify, then you will have to retroactively file taxes (even though you may not have made anything). 

Weird thing is that my fathers income is above 40,000 plus with my moms income, they both make around 60. And I dont know why NVC says my dad doesnt meet the requirement. Also, do my dad still need to fill up the I864A as what is instructed by the NVC? And if ever I'll find another sponsor do I have to inform nvc of this? Since they said my husband needs to bring the documents during his interview and we weren't able to file an I864A for the probable new sponsor.

Also, I do not have an income and Im a dependent from my parents. So where can I get the W2 and all the tax return since I don't file taxes.

thank you for the help! :-) 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, MR-RA said:

Weird thing is that my fathers income is above 40,000 plus with my moms income, they both make around 60. And I dont know why NVC says my dad doesnt meet the requirement. Also, do my dad still need to fill up the I864A as what is instructed by the NVC? And if ever I'll find another sponsor do I have to inform nvc of this? Since they said my husband needs to bring the documents during his interview and we weren't able to file an I864A for the probable new sponsor.

Can you clearly list what forms you submitted and for whom? I'm a bit confused.

29 minutes ago, MR-RA said:

Also, I do not have an income and Im a dependent from my parents. So where can I get the W2 and all the tax return since I don't file taxes.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a set of conditions under which you do not have to file taxes. You need to consult a tax lawyer (I'm no expert here) and have him specify exactly which tax law exempts you from having to file an income tax return. You would then do as the NVC asks and specify this reason in a letter to them. You would then also tell them in a letter that you had NO job at all over the past year, and as such have no W2. But I would say it's very important if possible to have a tax attorney or tax accountant help you clearly identify which tax laws exempt your from having to file a tax return. 

10 minutes ago, agripa said:

Can you clearly list what forms you submitted and for whom? I'm a bit confused.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a set of conditions under which you do not have to file taxes. You need to consult a tax lawyer (I'm no expert here) and have him specify exactly which tax law exempts you from having to file an income tax return. You would then do as the NVC asks and specify this reason in a letter to them. You would then also tell them in a letter that you had NO job at all over the past year, and as such have no W2. But I would say it's very important if possible to have a tax attorney or tax accountant help you clearly identify which tax laws exempt your from having to file a tax return. 

My dad and I filled up the I864 and the nvc said that my dad needs to fill up a new I864A and have it signed and gave it to my husband for him to bring it on his interview. What I mean with the probable new sponsor is that, if ever we'll be asked to have another sponsor since they believe my father dont make it to the minimum poverty guideline do I still need to inform nvc that were going to have a new sponsor? Or well wait after the interview and for the decision of the consul for us to find a sponsor who meets the poverty guideline.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They're asking for the I-864A, which is for household members of a sponsor or cosponsor.   It might be that they want the other parent to fill that form in to agree to co-sponsor you.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
1 hour ago, MR-RA said:

My dad and I filled up the I864 and the nvc said that my dad needs to fill up a new I864A and have it signed and gave it to my husband for him to bring it on his interview. What I mean with the probable new sponsor is that, if ever we'll be asked to have another sponsor since they believe my father dont make it to the minimum poverty guideline do I still need to inform nvc that were going to have a new sponsor? Or well wait after the interview and for the decision of the consul for us to find a sponsor who meets the poverty guideline.

This sounds a bit tricky. My recommendation would be to fill out an I-864A for your mother and collect her tax transcripts/income evidence, and proof of relationship. In addition, I'd also line-up an additional sponsor (have him/her fill out a new I-864 form, collect tax transcripts/income evidence, and proof of relationship). It's up to you whether you submit this information to the NVC or simply send it with your wife to the interview. However, it sounds like they want a letter from you describing why you are unavailable to provide a tax return. So if you have to send them something now anyways, it seems like you might want to provide your mom's I-864A + an additional sponsor at this time itself. But that's up to you.

Edited by agripa

10 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

They're asking for the I-864A, which is for household members of a sponsor or cosponsor.   It might be that they want the other parent to fill that form in to agree to co-sponsor you.

Me and my dad filled up the I864 while my mom filled up the I864A since she's a member of the household. I don't know why nvc asks for my dad to fill up the I864A since he's the sponsor. Am I right that I864A is only filled up if you're a household member (like in the case of my mom) right?

9 minutes ago, agripa said:

This sounds a bit tricky. My recommendation would be to fill out an I-864A for your mother and collect her tax transcripts/income evidence, and proof of relationship. In addition, I'd also line-up an additional sponsor (have him/her fill out a new I-864 form, collect tax transcripts/income evidence, and proof of relationship). It's up to you whether you submit this information to the NVC or simply send it with your wife to the interview. However, it sounds like they want a letter from you describing why you are unavailable to provide a tax return. So if you have to send them something now anyways, it seems like you might want to provide your mom's I-864A + an additional sponsor at this time itself. But that's up to you.

We were able to provide nvc with all the AOS they needed from me, my dad and my mom. What confuses me is that how come my dad wasn't able to meet the poverty guideline since his income is even above the poverty level. And why would he fill up the I864A instead of the I864.

Yes, we already have another sponsor jusy in case they're not satisfied with my fathers income. 

Is it fine to call NVC with regards to this? So that I could clarify what they are really asking for.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, MR-RA said:

Me and my dad filled up the I864 while my mom filled up the I864A since she's a member of the household. I don't know why nvc asks for my dad to fill up the I864A since he's the sponsor. Am I right that I864A is only filled up if you're a household member (like in the case of my mom) right?

If you filed I-864 and you live with your parents than your dad and mom needs to fill out I-864A not I-864. I think what NVC wants is your Dad to fill out I-864A instead of I-864, since you state that your parents income combined is more than 60k. Hope this helps.

12/26/2015 Got Married

Our CR1 Journey

2/4/2016 - I-130 file and documents mailed to Chicago Lockbox

2/9/2016 - Received NOA1 via text and email

2/15/2016 - Received NOA1 in mail

5/18/2016 to 6/1/2016 - Visited wife in india

8/11/2016 - Received NOA 2 via text and email :dancing: :dancing:

8/22/2016 - Received NOA 2 in mail

9/6/2016 - Case was sent to NVC (received text & email)

9/12/2016 - NVC received our Case from USCIS... wait continues for NVC case number

9/27/2016 - Submitted -261 and paid AOS fee

9/29/2016 - Received and paid IV fee

10/9/2016 - Submitted DS-260

10/15/2016 - AOS and IV package mailed to NVC

10/19/2016 - Scan Date

12/07/2016 - Case Completed

12/27/16 - Interview date received over the phone

12/30/16 - P4 letter received

02/03/2016 - Interview, VISA APPROVED!!!:jest::jest:

3 minutes ago, mmkshah said:

If you filed I-864 and you live with your parents than your dad and mom needs to fill out I-864A not I-864. I think what NVC wants is your Dad to fill out I-864A instead of I-864, since you state that your parents income combined is more than 60k. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! :-) I hope that's the only case, but since they also stated that me and my dad wasn't able to meet the minimum requirement to sponsor for my husband then that means we should find another and have him/her fill up the I864 and bring it to the interview?

Timeline

Hey MR-RA,

Based on everyone's recommendation. I think you should fill out an I-864A for your dad, get your letter regarding why you didn't file taxes, and get another sponsor lined up. I would highly urge you to call the NVC and try to speak to a supervisor to confirm what exactly they want and why they think your dad doesn't make enough to meet the poverty requirement. It'd be good to get this out of the way now, so you don't end up in administrative processing at the Embassy/Consulate after you're interview.

9 minutes ago, agripa said:

Hey MR-RA,

Based on everyone's recommendation. I think you should fill out an I-864A for your dad, get your letter regarding why you didn't file taxes, and get another sponsor lined up. I would highly urge you to call the NVC and try to speak to a supervisor to confirm what exactly they want and why they think your dad doesn't make enough to meet the poverty requirement. It'd be good to get this out of the way now, so you don't end up in administrative processing at the Embassy/Consulate after you're interview.

Thank you so much agripa! I'll be calling NVC asap. But if I'll speak to an operator and ask him/her if I can talk with the supervisor will they allow it? I'm in so much despair right now, since im still studying for my boards on the 21st and with this additional checklist they sent. I really appreciate your advice, thank you for enlightening :-)

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.