melisol05

Denied F1, trying a K1

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, I'm 22 years old. I got to the States on July 2014 with a J-1 visa, as an au pair. I finished my first year and extended to a second one. In the middle of the second year (Dec 2015) I decided to not extend my program, in order to pursue my BA in psychology at St Louis Community College. My status got approved on April 2015. My sponsors were the former host family of my best friend. I finished 2 semesters with a 3.8 GPA before getting back to Mexico. 

In Jan 4th, 2017. I came to Mexico for my sister's wedding and filed for an F1 visa, but got it denied. When I had the interview at the consulate the officer asked me why I had chosen that specific school, I mentioned that STL Community College was a cheaper option to get to Washington university and that it had great classes and professors. The officer took this statement as if I was only there because it was cheap. Likewise, she seemed to be unsure of the intentions of my sponsors by paying for my college. She also told me that I didn't prove to have enough ties with Mexico. Which was totally untrue. 

My intention was to come back once I graduated to work in the company of my family. My uncle owns a constructions company, where most of my family works (dad, uncles, aunts, cousins). Besides the family members, he has about 1,200 workers, and he estimates that he will increase the number within the years. By the time I graduate, he will need a person to help him with the Human Resources area, and with interpreting foreign trades; I was supposed to fill this position. 

The same day I got my visa denied, I called my boyfriend and told him that we would be apart. Later on that day, he made me get my parents together in front of the computer and asked for my hand. He did it in spanish and got in one knee, just as if I was there. He also told me that he was planning on proposing as soon as I got back. I had no clue. 

Me and my boyfriend have a very serious relationship, we have been together since July 2015. We met on a salsa dancing place. The first 3 to 4 months, we were in a long distance relationship because I was in Washington DC, however we overcame the distance and continued. All his family members know me and love me. My family members also adore him, though they haven't met him in person. We have tons of pictures together, from road trips and holidays to daily images. Additionally, he makes enough money to prove that he can financially sustain me while I wait for my work permit. 

My now fiancé will come to Mexico in March to ask for my hand in person. After that we will file for a K1 visa.

What measures of caution should I have while applying for a K1 visa?

I hope that this message contains enough information for you. Please let me know if you need more details.

Thank you, Amelia. 

Edited by melisol05

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.