Ms. Arely C.

Sponsor for K1 Fiance Visa

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi guys!

I recently asked a few questions but it seems that 1 of them wasn't answered. Or maybe I just didn't get it lol My question was "Can both my parents be sponsors? (Since they do their taxes together,married) or do I have to only pick one of them (whoever has a higher income out of them two)?" My Mom makes around 22k and my Dad around there too but together it's like 40k or more. It's a household of 4 but including my fiance it will be 5 so we will use the income of 5 people in a household. If both of them can sponsor me, do they each have to fill out a form I-134 or what forms do they (and i) need to fill out? I know as a main sponsor, i have to fill out a I-134  (even if my income isn't enough, i only have 6k) but then what forms do they need to fill out? (BTW, Fiance has consular interview in Mexico in March, 2017)

Please and Thank You! 

Edited by Ms. Arely C.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Believe it is just one of them. Do not believe can be multiple or combination sponsors.

Whichever one it is would need to also supply and I-134 form with all supporting documents like you yourself will.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

Believe it is just one of them. Do not believe can be multiple or combination sponsors.

Whichever one it is would need to also supply and I-134 form with all supporting documents like you yourself will.

Hmmm :/ So I have to pick one of them? But since they do their taxes together then I might as well look for another sponsor right? If i were to pick another sponsor (single person, no dependants) would they include my fiance and I or just my fiance? 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

If the local embassy allows co-sponsors at all (some countries don't), it can only be one co-sponsor, so you have to chose one person. It doesn't matter that that person does his taxes with their spouse or something.... it's not like among the sponsor requirements it states "must be single".

Later, for the form I-864 (the version used for the Adjustment of status process), you CAN have two separate joint-sponsors or one joint-sponsor and his spouse. In this case both your parents can add their income together. One of them would need to file I-864 and the other I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

Now, what I'm gonna say next I'm not 100% sure, so you should find out more, but from what I understand It's fine if they do their taxes together, you can provide W2 or pay stubs or bank statements that show his/her individual income, so that USCIS knows exactly what income is being counted. That doesn't mean though that the spouse or dependents don't have to be counted as household members, only their income doesn't count....

Example, Your dad can be your co-sponsor alone, and only count his income, but when filling out the I-134, his wife, the intended immigrant and other dependents MUST be counted as part of the household. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, pantonia said:

If the local embassy allows co-sponsors at all (some countries don't), it can only be one co-sponsor, so you have to chose one person. It doesn't matter that that person does his taxes with their spouse or something.... it's not like among the sponsor requirements it states "must be single".

Later, for the form I-864 (the version used for the Adjustment of status process), you CAN have two separate joint-sponsors or one joint-sponsor and his spouse. In this case both your parents can add their income together. One of them would need to file I-864 and the other I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

Now, what I'm gonna say next I'm not 100% sure, so you should find out more, but from what I understand It's fine if they do their taxes together, you can provide W2 or pay stubs or bank statements that show his/her individual income, so that USCIS knows exactly what income is being counted. That doesn't mean though that the spouse or dependents don't have to be counted as household members, only their income doesn't count....

Example, Your dad can be your co-sponsor alone, and only count his income, but when filling out the I-134, his wife, the intended immigrant and other dependents MUST be counted as part of the household. 

Oh I understand! So I have another question...two, actually... #1 So we did our taxes this week so I can send my income stuff (and co-sponsor's income) to my fiance for his interview but on form I-134, my co-sponsor (my parent) didn't know if to put me as a dependant since they can't claim me on their taxes anymore but I live with them. Do they put my name or is that only if they were to claim me on their taxes this year but right now I am not working until after the baby is born so that counts as me being a dependant?  Then question #2: For the poverty guidelines, which income will we use then? In our household It is Mom, Dad, Sibling & I + fiance so that = family of 5 or will we use the family of 4 household income? (Mom, Dad, sibling & fiance since they can't claim me on their taxes this year)

Edited by Ms. Arely C.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.