12 posts in this topic

Hi, i i am salome joy of Philippines, i would like to know if anybody has the same situation with me and my husband, and has succesfully made it to the U.S. I am married to an american, We are married for 1 year and a half now. He arrived October of 2014 here and since then he didn't go bact to his country because we plan on staying here in the Philippines for good. But late last year we both decided that it would be better if we will move to the U.S because life would be better out there. Now the problem is, we don't know how to start since our situation is different because we are both here and my husband won't go back to his country unless we can both leave together. Me and my husband I honestly feel hopeless of our situation, any advice on how we can star our cr1 visa? Thank you! 

Edited by Salome Joy

You have 2 (major) options...

1) File for a normal CR-1/IR-1 visa. By the time it's approved you will have been married for over 2 years. As such, you would get a 10 year green card upon arrival in the US. Expect 12-18  months for processing.

2) Since you have been living together for at least 6 months in the Philippines, you should be eligible for DCF. This usually takes a few weeks to few months from what I've seen. Information on the process is here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

I think the choice is pretty clear. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am no expert on filing DCF but I believe you are eligible for that. The major issue is for your husband to prove his domicile in the US. Only choice is for him to go back and be separated for awhile and establish that. Does he have a home or maintained bank accounts back in the US?  or business perhaps or job in US that he still can do even if he is in the Philippines? if yes then maybe the officer will be convinced that you have US as domicile and no need for him to go back and be apart temporarily.

My friend husband did go back and look for a job there to prove domicile and send that as proof their petition was approved.

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): April 28 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: May 7, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: July 6, 2016 (60 days from NOA1) :dancing:
Petition Recieved by NVC text & email: July 18, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: August 3, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: August 3, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: August 4, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: August 4, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: August 5, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: August 5, 2016
Pay IV Fee: August 10, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: August 12, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: August 20, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via Express Mail Singapore Post): September 23, 2016
Scan date: September 29,2016

3 NA in CEAC site: October 17, 2016 :dancing:
CC through phone: October 17, 2016
Confirmation of CC email received: October 24, 2016

Case "in transit": November 8,2016

Case "ready": November 17,2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: November 1, 2016

Medical (Singapore): November 11, 2016

Medical Sent to consulate: November 25, 2016

Interview Date: December 27, 2016

Interview Result: 221g for missing documents

Submit Documents: January 17, 2017

First Update: January 19, 2017

Submit Documents 2nd time : January 22, 2017 ( Approaching Chinese New Year )

Second Update : Feb 2, 2017

Ceac Status AP: until February 5, 2017

Ceac Status ISSUED: February 6, 2017

Visa ON HAND: February 7, 2017

POE: Philadelphia International Airport

US Entry: Feb 24, 2017

SS # received : Mar. 11, 2017

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

For DCF (Direct Consulate filing) your husband would have to deal with the Domicile issue.  However, that does not mean he has to travel to the USA before you.  There are other way to prove Domicile or intent to re-establish Domicile.  Depends much on the situation.  Being able to DCF also depends on him having legal residence in the Philippines which I'm sure he does.

Best of luck to you have faith there are ways to make this work.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can truly understand it, distance is terrible. Me and my husband is away for more than a year now waiting on this process. And its not easy but if you both agreed to go through it do discuss  possible things that may happen during the LDR. The process alone bring so much stress so its really needs patience and much understanding towards each other. If he really needs to go back to establish domicile, file all necessary documents for DCF before he would leave and bring tons of evidence for domicile during interview. At least you can shorten the separation time. God bless on your process!

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): April 28 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: May 7, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: July 6, 2016 (60 days from NOA1) :dancing:
Petition Recieved by NVC text & email: July 18, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: August 3, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: August 3, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: August 4, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: August 4, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: August 5, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: August 5, 2016
Pay IV Fee: August 10, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: August 12, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: August 20, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via Express Mail Singapore Post): September 23, 2016
Scan date: September 29,2016

3 NA in CEAC site: October 17, 2016 :dancing:
CC through phone: October 17, 2016
Confirmation of CC email received: October 24, 2016

Case "in transit": November 8,2016

Case "ready": November 17,2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: November 1, 2016

Medical (Singapore): November 11, 2016

Medical Sent to consulate: November 25, 2016

Interview Date: December 27, 2016

Interview Result: 221g for missing documents

Submit Documents: January 17, 2017

First Update: January 19, 2017

Submit Documents 2nd time : January 22, 2017 ( Approaching Chinese New Year )

Second Update : Feb 2, 2017

Ceac Status AP: until February 5, 2017

Ceac Status ISSUED: February 6, 2017

Visa ON HAND: February 7, 2017

POE: Philadelphia International Airport

US Entry: Feb 24, 2017

SS # received : Mar. 11, 2017

Thank you Ervie and Rob, yes that's true distance is really hard i was really hopeful in the beginning that our case is not that hard, because at the moment my husband is no longer working in the u.s he is working here in the Philippines already as a medical sales associates, he has no investments nor assets in the u.s the only thing he has is his mother. I hope we can find a way thru this. Thank you very much guys! :)

Thank you Geowrian! :) if apply for a normal cr1 visa so you mean its still possible to process it while my husband is here? We actually had rapid Visa but after my husband posted a comment expressing his frustration about thekr service they backed out on un and now we are on our own. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline
17 hours ago, Salome Joy said:

Thank you Geowrian! :) if apply for a normal cr1 visa so you mean its still possible to process it while my husband is here? We actually had rapid Visa but after my husband posted a comment expressing his frustration about thekr service they backed out on un and now we are on our own. 

i think because your in the Philippines  the uscis has a field office in manilla and it would be much easier for you both to go there and file the I-130.... I'm in malaysia and was going thru the same i didn't want to back without my wife and they gave me the option to file in the philippine or via mail DHL to america... but in my case i was told i have to live in the philipines to be able to file there....so yea you will save yourself a lot of time and stress if you go to the uscis office there. or ask if theres direct consular filing . 

goooooooood luck   

1 hour ago, Naji1789 said:

i think because your in the Philippines  the uscis has a field office in manilla and it would be much easier for you both to go there and file the I-130.... I'm in malaysia and was going thru the same i didn't want to back without my wife and they gave me the option to file in the philippine or via mail DHL to america... but in my case i was told i have to live in the philipines to be able to file there....so yea you will save yourself a lot of time and stress if you go to the uscis office there. or ask if theres direct consular filing . 

goooooooood luck   

R

goooooooood luck   

T

goooooooood luck   

Thank you! :) but did you have to establich domicile? i gues our best option really is direct consular filling. Did you do it yourself or your hire an agent? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.