Jump to content
Rachel Lollar

Getting a social security number for US citizen's children born in UK

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband is a US citizen, I'm British, our children are dual-nationals but because they were born in the UK they've never had a Social Security number. Now we're re-locating to the States and they need social security numbers to apply for school.... how do we get it for them? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

SS site shows the information to apply for ss number for child born of US citizen outside the country

it gives several types of ID they accept

you will need birth certiicate from UK with husband's name on it and husband's birth ceriticate to show he is US citizen (or naturaliztion papers if that is the case)

this is the easiest way to go

if you have already gone thru the process to get US passport for children, then use that at SS office

anyone not able to help you, they don't know their job and it happened to friend of mone, so try a different office or clerk

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.