Trymester3

Happy New Year: A FEW quick ROC Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife will be filing for ROC with a divorce waiver. She is a Japanese citizen and US Resident. I am a US Citizen. Even though we are now separated, I will still help her compile her ROC package.

1.) I will have my brother and sister write evidence letters stating that my marriage was legit. The only thing they have to write is something similar to: "I saw them happy and living together before they were officially married and after they were married. I hosted them when they came to visit me in Las Vegas. Blah, blah, blah" Pretty much all they have to write is 1 to 3 paragraphs where they swear that they knew my wife and I as a lovely married couple. Is it advised that they sign the letters in front of a notary?

2.) In the I-751 form where it asks my wife if anyone helped her fill out her I-751 package, should she write my name? I mean, it'll be the truth, but I'm just curious if it'll look too weird since we are in the divorce process, they may be thinking "why would I be helping her?"

3.) The only evidence that we have will be a bunch of photos, the marriage certificate, evidence letters from family members, and Tax Returns. We did not share a bank account, housing lease, her name was not on any bills, and to the best of my knowledge, even though her Health Insurance is addressed to my home address, I don't think we were on the same plan. I see some of you guys sending HUGE packets. We don't have that much evidence. Will her ROC application be rejected due to not having enough evidence? We met in 2005, but were only married in 2014. We aren't allowed to use any evidence from before our marriage, are we?

4.) There is at least 1 place in the I-751 where it asks to inform them if you change your address. My soon-to-be-ex-wife does not currently have a stable address, so I still listed her as living at my address. This can be explained later during any interview or whatever, that the reason we kept that address on file, even though she wasn't physically there, was because that was the most reliable address for her, and the only one that was trustworthy enough to receive mail at. Does this make sense, or what would you advise?

Any help for these preliminary questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time.

Edited by Trymester3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

This is my opinion:

1) From what I've read on this website, yes, they would need to have the letters notarized. otherwise, you could just forge them. So having them notarized, they can count as proof USCIS can definitely trust.

2) I assume you are not filing jointly. then, she could mention you helped her. Just because you are getting a divorce, doesn't mean you can't help each other in need.

3) You should provide proof acquired during marriage. It sounds like you should be fine with the notarized letters and the rest of the proof you mentioned. Make sure to get the official tax returns from the IRS. I also do not share the medical insurance with my husband. but we did have lease together and bought a car together. Just provide everything you have with both your names on it. I think it's good idea to show her insurance comes to same address as yours. Also, if you are listed as her emergency contact somewhere or she is yours you can show that too. 

4) I believe notification of change of address is meant for you to ensure you get the USCIS letter. I think she can provide any address as long as it is reliable. You can explain in the i-705 at the end of the form, the situation with the addresses if you want.

Best of luck, hope all works out smoothly!

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One page.  Typed is easier to read.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.