Interview latter recevied In  mid March

Interview first week of april

RFE received after interview 

Submit  july, 17th 

I-485 approved July 21

Card produced July 21

Card mailed July 25th 

Card in hand July 28th

Congratulations thanks for sharing. All the best with your new beginning.

13 hours ago, pysbfintp said:

I have a question.

For someone who is already on a 2-year conditional green card, can they still file for VAWA?

I know you are supposed to file I-751 self-petition, and there is an option of Domestic Violence.

So are they the same things when you already on a conditional GC? Or they are different, if so, can you file for both?

You can't file for VAWA when you already have a GC. You should file I-751 as you said above. VAWA is a way for victims to file for their GC without their spouses needing to submit a petition for them. 

On 7/13/2017 at 0:03 PM, Hopeful diva said:

Yes you can apply for VAWA. Doesn't matter if you have a pending i485/ead or if divorce is in process. You are still eligible even till two years after divorce 

Thank u a lot @Hopeful diva right now im working on gathering all my documents. my i485 based on my I130 is pending and no news about it  

On 7/13/2017 at 6:04 AM, sandranj said:

To file VAWA or not just you can decide this.

Yes, you qualify to file VAWA. Get a letter from the shelter where you stayed. Gather affidavits from family and friends stating bonafide marriage and abuse if they know about the abuse. Ask your mother and one of your sibling's affidavits as well. Get a police clearance from all places you lived over 3 months in the past 3 years. 

You have to write your own affidavit (9/13 pages). Describe the courtship with details. Do not waste time mentioning about cheating or problems with the in-laws because USCIS does not consider abuse these things abuse.

thank you for responding @sandranj, right now I am working on gathering all my documents for my packet. I currently live in Houston and there is a group of lawyers that can help you if they think that u have a good case, is YMCA lawyers. Do you recommend finding help from them or just file on my own.

Any comments or recommendations are more than welcome.

Thanks

J

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/28/2017 at 8:07 PM, pysbfintp said:

I have a question.

For someone who is already on a 2-year conditional green card, can they still file for VAWA?

I know you are supposed to file I-751 self-petition, and there is an option of Domestic Violence.

So are they the same things when you already on a conditional GC? Or they are different, if so, can you file for both?

You can file I-751 waiver based on extreme cruelty. You have a green card then you can't file VAWA, but the rest is almost the same, to renew your GC, if you file based on abuse you have to prove abuse and bonafide marriage. To file I-751 waiver based just on extreme cruelty you do not need to be divorced.

2 hours ago, Polilla said:

Hello everyone! Is an interview letter for AOS under vawa approved a good sign?

Yes! Most vawa applicants go through the interview process. Have you received your notice for an interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.