sparkles_

Another background check question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So guys, what do the background checks go over? Does anyone have a general idea. Not the name check and fingerprint check, the background aspect.

Also wondering who do the check? Of course the immigrant. Would they run my background as the sponsor? (I have a civil judgement for consigning for a person to get a car and it got repossessed like 12yr ago). Would they check my co sponsor at all? Would they somehow check my now citizen ex husband since I petitioned for him almost ten years ago?

Do they check things like this and credit history in backgrounds as well?? Thanks guys

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Timeline

Asking to try and grasp just how long this may take to be finished up based on how detailed they go. I know it takes as long as it takes, but if checks go into great detail on people besides the immigrant we will kind of assume it may be a while longer and go forward with moving to our intended state rather than hang and wait :)

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think, as far as the US Citizen... Our government is mostly concerned about Adam Walsh Act kinda things.... I was in the middle of a 5 year Chapter 13 payment plan when we went through this. As far as ex's, I think there's a Waiver for K-1 when it's 3(?) Years apart (some one will surely correct and add if needed).

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Filed: Timeline

So guys, what do the background checks go over? Does anyone have a general idea. Not the name check and fingerprint check, the background aspect.

Also wondering who do the check? Of course the immigrant. Would they run my background as the sponsor? (I have a civil judgement for consigning for a person to get a car and it got repossessed like 12yr ago). Would they check my co sponsor at all? Would they somehow check my now citizen ex husband since I petitioned for him almost ten years ago?

Do they check things like this and credit history in backgrounds as well?? Thanks guys

hi again!

So theres lots of info on google for background check+USCIS+ and/or adding FBI Name check, or just FBI name check. But if you guys are debating a move- you should do it or not do it regardless of USCIS. The only impact moving has for USCIS is changing your local office (that I know of) I dont believe a petition in a service center will be shipped to a different one because you move.

Anyway- one of the checks you are in is the FBI name check one. If I remember correctly they claim most people are done with in 60 days. They have a goal of 120 days. At one point they got so far behind it was a shame. You have to realize USCIS is a small percentage of name checks they do-I think like 30%. They do firearm checks and other stuff like that..

But anyway, for USCIS- they now require them to search not only for the persons name as a case but there name any where in any case or file. Oddly the FBI is not completely digitized. (srsly right?!) They still have warehouses of boxes they ship back and forth across the country with a fair amount of ####### still being in boxes. Not a high amount, but enough to be a darn shame. So now imagine FBI guys all over the country needing the same boxes and having them be sent back and forth with armed guards and trucks and the whole jazz. If the guy doing your name check needs that one box, well someone else can have it and someone else can be in line to get it next before your guy gets it. So welcome to the circus I suppose.

I have no way to prove this- but just from observations and a bit of common sense, I suspect most of the stuff in the boxes are from certain regions. Some countries have really great relationships with the US and practically share passwords when it comes to disclosing things to each other. Other places are not so friendly you know? So I think those are the ones where its a lot of paper. You see a lot of people in very long checks that supports this.

Anyway the other checks are under the heading of Security Advisory Opinion SAO- at least for visas. I dont see why it would be different for aos but maybe? But anyway- the break the SAO into animals cause who knows.

(this I had to google)

Visas Mantis: (potential illegal transfer of sensitive technology)
Visas Bear (for foreign government officials, representatives to international organizations, and their families)
Visas Donkey (name hits, certain nationalities)
Visas Merlin (for refugees and asylees)
Visas Eagle (certain nationals of Cuba, China, Russia, Iran, Vietnam)
Visas Condor (certain nationalities e.g Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates,Yemen.)
Visas Hawk (for immigrant visas).
Visas Horse (diplomatic visa holders of certain nationalities)
Visas Pegasus (officials of Commonwealth of Independent States)

So you guys are Condor. What that means I have no idea. But you are special. So you get extra treatment. Google suggests the SAO uses things like "CIA, DEA, U.S. Department of Commerce, Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control, Interpol, and the Department of State's Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation" in addition to the FBI.

They dont really tell you exactly what they do in checks and you cant really blame them cause why would they? But if the other agencies you may have been sent to are as screwy as the FBI is..... well you can wait a long time.

None of these security checks will apply to you in such detail unless (my opinion) they find a reference to him in something and your name is there as well. I mean if they suspect he is in a marriage fraud ring- then yeah, they are going to look at your name as well. Have you traveled a lot? Been to a lot of high risk areas? Has he?

As for your ex- I mean they review your past immigration history which will include your ex. But lots of people have ex's that they sponsored and are doing it again. So like I said before unless there is something more there- they shouldnt look beyond the basics of the first page or so of his (ex) case file. If weird things start coming up - cause computers are really smart and can cross reference in an instant, then its either just really weird and freaky or a potential indication of something funky going on with you all that needs to be looked at more.

Timeline

hi again!

So theres lots of info on google for background check+USCIS+ and/or adding FBI Name check, or just FBI name check. But if you guys are debating a move- you should do it or not do it regardless of USCIS. The only impact moving has for USCIS is changing your local office (that I know of) I dont believe a petition in a service center will be shipped to a different one because you move.

Anyway- one of the checks you are in is the FBI name check one. If I remember correctly they claim most people are done with in 60 days. They have a goal of 120 days. At one point they got so far behind it was a shame. You have to realize USCIS is a small percentage of name checks they do-I think like 30%. They do firearm checks and other stuff like that..

But anyway, for USCIS- they now require them to search not only for the persons name as a case but there name any where in any case or file. Oddly the FBI is not completely digitized. (srsly right?!) They still have warehouses of boxes they ship back and forth across the country with a fair amount of ####### still being in boxes. Not a high amount, but enough to be a darn shame. So now imagine FBI guys all over the country needing the same boxes and having them be sent back and forth with armed guards and trucks and the whole jazz. If the guy doing your name check needs that one box, well someone else can have it and someone else can be in line to get it next before your guy gets it. So welcome to the circus I suppose.

I have no way to prove this- but just from observations and a bit of common sense, I suspect most of the stuff in the boxes are from certain regions. Some countries have really great relationships with the US and practically share passwords when it comes to disclosing things to each other. Other places are not so friendly you know? So I think those are the ones where its a lot of paper. You see a lot of people in very long checks that supports this.

Anyway the other checks are under the heading of Security Advisory Opinion SAO- at least for visas. I dont see why it would be different for aos but maybe? But anyway- the break the SAO into animals cause who knows.

(this I had to google)

Visas Mantis: (potential illegal transfer of sensitive technology)
Visas Bear (for foreign government officials, representatives to international organizations, and their families)
Visas Donkey (name hits, certain nationalities)
Visas Merlin (for refugees and asylees)
Visas Eagle (certain nationals of Cuba, China, Russia, Iran, Vietnam)
Visas Condor (certain nationalities e.g Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates,Yemen.)
Visas Hawk (for immigrant visas).
Visas Horse (diplomatic visa holders of certain nationalities)
Visas Pegasus (officials of Commonwealth of Independent States)

So you guys are Condor. What that means I have no idea. But you are special. So you get extra treatment. Google suggests the SAO uses things like "CIA, DEA, U.S. Department of Commerce, Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control, Interpol, and the Department of State's Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation" in addition to the FBI.

They dont really tell you exactly what they do in checks and you cant really blame them cause why would they? But if the other agencies you may have been sent to are as screwy as the FBI is..... well you can wait a long time.

None of these security checks will apply to you in such detail unless (my opinion) they find a reference to him in something and your name is there as well. I mean if they suspect he is in a marriage fraud ring- then yeah, they are going to look at your name as well. Have you traveled a lot? Been to a lot of high risk areas? Has he?

As for your ex- I mean they review your past immigration history which will include your ex. But lots of people have ex's that they sponsored and are doing it again. So like I said before unless there is something more there- they shouldnt look beyond the basics of the first page or so of his (ex) case file. If weird things start coming up - cause computers are really smart and can cross reference in an instant, then its either just really weird and freaky or a potential indication of something funky going on with you all that needs to be looked at more.

Hi again as well :)

Thanks for that awesome breakdown!

I've traveled, but by no means a globe trotter. My passport page copies showed a Chinese and Egyptian visa in the past 10yr, both trips taken just for real tourism to see famous landmarks. Other than this, nothing. For my husband, he had never been outside of Morocco before coming to the states on the Disney program. I worked in healthcare and education so I've had my prints/FBI ran at least 4 times in my life so far and I'm squeaky clean in that area for a fact. Just got a little worried about the civil judgement because it was court ordered but it is also being repaid.

Not worried about the ex and his case file. We were married for 7yr, had a kid, he joined the army, had another kid, so nothing more there expect a marriage that went south. He naturalized via post 9/11 military service even, not by marriage to me even though we were married during that time and for years after. But I would hate to think anything about him may have a bearing on my current marriage and that AOS.

I think, as far as the US Citizen... Our government is mostly concerned about Adam Walsh Act kinda things.... I was in the middle of a 5 year Chapter 13 payment plan when we went through this. As far as ex's, I think there's a Waiver for K-1 when it's 3(?) Years apart (some one will surely correct and add if needed).

Noooo, we are talking almost 10yr apart in filings. That makes me feel better, I'm also on a setup payment plan for this judgement.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.