Kat&Jon

Can food be brought into the embassy in London?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I was searching all over the embassy website, and I tried to find an answer here. I know most of the questions are regarding if you can bring your phone which I know we can.

My question is am I able to bring food into the embassy with me. I know they have snack machines, but most snack machines consist of foods that are not in line with my nutrition plan. I just wanted to know if I could bring in a bottle of water, nuts, and/or a piece of fruit. I am hypoglycemic and I have to eat on a strict schedule in order to maintain my blood sugar levels, or I can get sick. Jon doesn't have to worry about this, but this is something I have to keep in mind.

Every time I search through the embassy website it directs me to bringing food into the US through a POE and not the Embassy itself. I could be searching wrong, but I just want to know in advance since we sent a request to have me added to the list for the interview. If they don't let me in, it won't be a problem because then I just find a nearby cafe and eat something there, but if I do get let in I need to be able to eat in line with my food schedule.

I am just trying to be prepared well in advance. If anyone can find me a resource I would greatly appreciate it!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Not sure if every embassy is different but my experience any type of food or drinks were not allowed in the embassy and they said that to me being extremely pregnant. Have you checked the embassy website??

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2015/09/prohibited_items_2014.pdf

Think in line of what you would be able to bring on board a plane. So, nuts/fruit - probably yes. A large water bottle - maybe no.

Also, in general, the embassy in London only admits the applicant. And there is certainly no need for you to be there. So, maybe easier to just stay at a nearby coffee shop?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2015/09/prohibited_items_2014.pdf

Think in line of what you would be able to bring on board a plane. So, nuts/fruit - probably yes. A large water bottle - maybe no.

Also, in general, the embassy in London only admits the applicant. And there is certainly no need for you to be there. So, maybe easier to just stay at a nearby coffee shop?

This is amazing! Thank you so much! I certainly was searching the website wrong!!! It looks like I should be able to bring a snack in, and possibly a water bottle as long as it's plastic. I am not worried about the water so much as I am the food.

I know that I don't have to attend the interview, but I would like to for support, and because of my own curiosity as to the inside of the US Embassy. I know Allison/Robert was able to get in for a K1 interview, and they allow the US Spouse to attend as long as you submit the request form (which we did). It won't be too huge of a deal if I don't get to go in, though I will probably freak out more outside on my own than if I was able to wait inside with Jon.

Thank you again! You are my new hero!!! :)

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

This is amazing! Thank you so much! I certainly was searching the website wrong!!! It looks like I should be able to bring a snack in, and possibly a water bottle as long as it's plastic. I am not worried about the water so much as I am the food.

I know that I don't have to attend the interview, but I would like to for support, and because of my own curiosity as to the inside of the US Embassy. I know Allison/Robert was able to get in for a K1 interview, and they allow the US Spouse to attend as long as you submit the request form (which we did). It won't be too huge of a deal if I don't get to go in, though I will probably freak out more outside on my own than if I was able to wait inside with Jon.

Alright, sounds like you're well prepared! Good luck to you both!

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Quick question, looks like out interview is a few days before yours! Where did you find the form situation you can go into the embassy? I have seen it a million times until I need it :/

They have you take water bottles out of your bag when you go through the security check, just like at an airport.

I saw a drinking fountain and a drink vending machine in there but not a snack machine - I thought that was just on the US citizen services side (passports, etc) and not on the visa side? I could be wrong though!

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

They checked my bags and as JFH said removed the water bottles, but that was just for the X-Ray machine, all my goody bars and water were returned after the machine.

I saw a small coffee shop, but in the time I was there it didn't open.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.