Sarah&Facundo

Proof of Income/w2/unemployment Question

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiance and I already received our NOA2. It went through the NVC and now it is ready. My fiance is planning on going for his medical/interview in March due to work. I am the US citizen. Last week, my company laid me off until March. I already made $41,000 this year which would appear on my w2 form when I file my 2016 taxes this spring. I plan on visiting my fiance for a month of that time anyway and I still have a part time online job.

I am eligible to receive unemployment until March when I return to work. My question is, would taking the unemployment benefit appear on my w2? Would this effect us negatively in the interview? Should I just not take the unemployment and go to the interview with the w2 showing I made $41k this past year (and similarly in the last few years too?) I would prefer to take the unemployment as extra income, of course. But I do not want to jeopardize this k1 visa process. Any information would be great!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

having unemployment as a source of income is fine so long as you are currently and for the forsee able future employed. if you are eligible will depend on how much your part time job gives you since you have to report that income to them. you must also be looking for work and if offered accept work in your field to receive unemployment. for example you can not claim unemployment while visiting your fiance but you can when you get back and resume looking for work.

suggestion, might want to take some time to get a job that does not let you go for 2.5 months a year.

good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

having unemployment as a source of income is fine so long as you are currently and for the forsee able future employed. if you are eligible will depend on how much your part time job gives you since you have to report that income to them. you must also be looking for work and if offered accept work in your field to receive unemployment. for example you can not claim unemployment while visiting your fiance but you can when you get back and resume looking for work.

suggestion, might want to take some time to get a job that does not let you go for 2.5 months a year.

good luck

I had a job for 17 years doing road construction where I went on unemployment for around 4-5 months every year of that time. I finally decided to change directions and become a RN, no more months and months of being chained at home while being on unemployment. Like you say you are suppose to be available and looking for work so you can't really be out of town let alone out of the country! But honestly you can probable get away with it unless you post on Facebook or some other social media how wonderful it is to be with your fiancee, back when I was on we didn't have social media!

As far as your income goes you will be fine, just give them your final pay stubs and you made enough to qualify anyways, just give 2 years worth of w-2s and income taxes.

I wouldn't recommend someone to find a new job because of this, especially if you enjoy it. Anyways, good luck with your VisaJourney!

Edited by javadown2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.