emanresu

How long till passport (with approved visa) returned?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiancee's visa was approved. I was with her at the embassy interview in Kiev, and the American lady said the application was approved and she should be getting the passport, with the pasted-in visa, back in five business days.

At least, I think she said "in five business days." She might've said "around five business days." I'm not totally sure.

Either way, it's been six or seven days now (depending on whether you count the day of the interview as the starting day for the five business days). I returned to the US because of work, and my fiancee is still waiting in Kiev. Her home town is very far from Kiev and she doesn't trust the mail, so she's waiting in Kiev in a hotel for the notice from the embassy saying to come pick up the passport. She called today and the Ukrainian lady who answered said that actually the approval of the application doesn't come until after the interview, and that review of documents, etc., can take up to several weeks.

That directly contradicts what the American lady said at the interview.

I feel like calling, but I'm not sure how productive that would be.

Can anyone shed any light on 1) whether it's possible the American interviewer's statement that the application was approved could be wrong, and 2) how long it generally takes to get the passport back after the interview?

Thanks!

There is no guarantee when you will receive the visa - some people are approved at interview and then wait in Administrative Processing for days, weeks, sometimes even months. That's why they say to not make travel arrangements until you have the visa in hand! Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure :(

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Timeline

Thanks. We haven't made any travel plans, because we knew it might take a while, but when the woman said "five days," we assumed that's how long it would be. It was a US consular official saying it, after all.

So how long does it take on average?

For your embassy, it looks like generally people receive them within 4-8 days. But, like I said, with AP you never know... There was one woman on here where everyone else in that particular country took less than a week, but she waited almost 60 days. It just depends if they see more stuff they need to look at! Unfortunately even the officers can't know for sure.

Do you have the information to track it?

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

For my husband we were able t track where his Passport was because the embassy couldn't give any information over the phone but every embassy and country is different

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Timeline

Yeah, we have the information. It's a long story (my fiancee is Russian from Crimea, so she originally went to Moscow, and they told her to go to Kiev, where it was approved), but initially it said AP, then "in transfer" (when they transferred the docs from Moscow to Kiev), then "ready" (indication to schedule the interview), and then after the interview it went to AP again.

Apparently, according to forums my fiancee has read, no visa applications from Ukraine or Russia are ever out of AP. AP appears to be the default status.

I just don't get why the lady at the embassy said the application was approved.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

No ap is normal for every visa process my husband was in ap for 2 weeks but we needed a cosponsor that's why it took 2 weeks. During so they just run additional background checks and it also takes time to print the visa in the Passport.

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Timeline

Just following up here.

I wrote the Kiev embassy an email asking what's up, and they replied telling me that a computer glitch had resulted in the wrong status being posted, and that they had issued the visa, etc.

My fiancee picked up her passport today and should be in the US within a couple of weeks.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.