Awesome22

Philippines drivers license

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

California's pretty strict about having a California drivers' license. I don't even know if they like an international drivers license.

Check with the California DMV

K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

I've been wondering the same thing (whether I will be able to use my German DL in CA).

From what I've read you are technically only allowed to use it until you marry. Once you marry and file AOS you have clear immigration intent and there is no way a police officer would see you as a tourist (and therefore allowed to use your DL for the first 6 months that you are in CA) anymore.

You can apply for your CA DL once you have your EAD card. The other thing that is possible (although I don't know whether you think the hassle will be worth it) you can apply with a SSN and the I-94 for a CA DL, but it will only be valid until the I-94 expires which is 90 days after POE. If you marry immediately after POE and have all documents ready that you need to apply for a DL it might shorten the time a lot between not being allowed to drive anymore because you will soon get the EAD card after 90 days of the I-94 are over.

Edited by Californiansunset

Filed: Timeline

I've been wondering the same thing (whether I will be able to use my German DL in CA).

From what I've read you are technically only allowed to use it until you marry. Once you marry and file AOS you have clear immigration intent and there is no way a police officer would see you as a tourist (and therefore allowed to use your DL for the first 6 months that you are in CA) anymore.

You can apply for your CA DL once you have your EAD card. The other thing that is possible (although I don't know whether you think the hassle will be worth it) you can apply with a SSN and the I-94 for a CA DL, but it will only be valid until the I-94 expires which is 90 days after POE. If you marry immediately after POE and have all documents ready that you need to apply for a DL it might shorten the time a lot between not being allowed to drive anymore because you will soon get the EAD card after 90 days of the I-94 are over.

My husband came here with CR1/spouse visa. so does that makes him a Ca resident but we just applied for his green card a week ago.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You husband arrived as a CR1, he has a I-551 stamp in his passport (green card).

You paid the ELIS fee a week ago for the production of the physical card... but he already has resident immigrant status

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

My husband came here with CR1/spouse visa. so does that makes him a Ca resident but we just applied for his green card a week ago.

Oh sorry I must've been still half asleep when I answered you. What I wrote would refer to a K1 visa not CR1.

You're lucky then! He can apply immediately for his CA DL if he already has his SSN in hand. (And no he can not use his Philippines DL in Cali. For some reason Cali is super strict when it comes to that).

Edited by Californiansunset

Oh sorry I must've been still half asleep when I answered you. What I wrote would refer to a K1 visa not CR1.

You're lucky then! He can apply immediately for his CA DL if he already has his SSN in hand. (And no he can not use his Philippines DL in Cali. For some reason Cali is super strict when it comes to that).

But they will give a DL to Illegal Aliens.

is it okay for if my husband use his philippine drivers license here in california?

Adults Visiting California

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state driver license is valid.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/ca_dl

Adults Visiting California

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state driver license is valid.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/ca_dl

CR1/IR1 are legal residents not visitors

2013/05/03 Married

2013 CFO seminar to change name

2013 Passport issued in married name

USCIS

2015/06/27 Sent I-130

2015/06/29 Priority Date

2015/0701 NOA1

2015/08/05 NOA2

NVC

2015/08/17 Package received at NVC

2015/08/26 Received DS-261/AOS bill

2015/08/29 Sent AOS/IV

2015/08/31 AOS/IV scan date

2015/09/01 DS-260 submitted

2015/09/21 3 n/a (CC)

2015/09/28 Receive confirmation email of CC waiting interview date

2015/10/01 Interview date scheduled (P4)

Manila Embassy

2015/10/12 SLEC Medical, required to get doctor certificate and return the 30th.

2015/10/19 Went to hospital to get the doctors certificate for SLEC

2015/10/30 Appointment with doctor at SLEC for evaluation

2015/11/03 Completed medical

2015/11/05 Interview scheduled - APPROVED

2015/11/06 CEAC changed to issued

2015/11/11 Passport and visa delivered

2015/11/12 Passport stamped at CFO

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think they would be considered visitors.

I believe new residents have 10 days to apply for a California DL.

K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

Matter of interpretation in my books.

Try to tell that a police officer who is happy to found someone he can fine. There's been many cases like these on VJ with people getting pulled over by a cop and then get fined. They ended up even going to court. they were on a K1 and filed for AOS but were technically not residents yet. Always lost and has to pay. In this case here we are even talking about someone with a CR1 visa! Definitely not a visitor anymore. Edited by Californiansunset

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.