zilchfox

I-485 sent. Also DL Questions!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whew! It's been quite a journey so far, and everyone on this forum has been an amazing help! I ramble a bit, so sorry in advance.

So initially when we filed for the K-1, we had immigration lawyers help us out who weren't too expensive, and with the knowledge I've gained from here I felt confident that they were doing everything correctly as we had to look over their work before they sent anything, and it was all good, we never had issues with the K-1, and as of October 14th, I've landed into the U.S.!

Now come the I-485, the lawyers charge $1070 for the filing fee, plus $2200 for their help! At this point, the spouse and I were like "NOPE NOPE NOPE THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP", because yikes what a price hike! That's okay though, we feel very confident about the I-485 being sent off, too! I've double/triple checked the instructions, we got the biometric info form (forgot the form number), I-765, I-131, I-864, and whatever G- form was required for e-mail/SMS notifications all done. I've told my spouse that we didn't really need them to begin with, but he kinda feels like that safety net of peace of mind is gone, especially since he's the petitioner and didn't really need to sign much beyond the I-864 and provide proof of the affidavit of support, but I assured him that the majority of this package is mostly me, as it's me who's now adjusting the status! So...yeah! Good luck to us! :dancing: It's sent by certified priority mail through USPS, no turning back now! I sure can't wait to be able to start working so I don't feel like a freeloader anymore D:

Anyways, QUESTION about Drivers License:

I already have my full GA drivers license, and got it before we got married and it expires on Jan 11th, 2017, the same day as the last day my I-94 is good for, as per GA DDS regulation. I don't think I'll need to re-take any tests to get it extended. I found the following information here:

Non-Citizens Driver’s License, Permit or Identification Card One-Time Extension

The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:

• Must be an existing DDS customer
  • The Georgia license, permit or Identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
  • Must provide proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action.

Is an I-797C an NOA1 for the I-485/EAD/AP Combo card? As of yesterday, I meet the criteria for the other two bullet points.

Thanks!

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Yes, it's the i797c (NOA1) for your i485 application.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

Yes, it's the i797c (NOA1) for your i485 application.

Thank you! It's probably safe to assume that we'll receive the I-797C next week, and I'll bring it with me to the DDS near the expiration of my DL to complete the one-time extension of 120 days which should cover me until around April, which I guess the EAD/AP Combo card would most likely be in my possession by then, which would then even further extend it to the expiration of that card.

Whew!

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be moving to Pennsylvania in month of March or April and having Alberta's Class 5 Driving license so do I need to take any written test or road test to get PA's DL? Do I need to take any certificate from Alberta registry office? Please advise.

Thanks

Ashish

Timeline

I will be moving to Pennsylvania in month of March or April and having Alberta's Class 5 Driving license so do I need to take any written test or road test to get PA's DL? Do I need to take any certificate from Alberta registry office? Please advise.

Thanks

Ashish

Hi Ashish,

It's entirely up to the state you get your license from. I also had a Class 5 GDL from Alberta, however Georgia state does not care and I had to re-take all the tests as if I was a brand new driver again. Call your local DMV in Pennsylvania and find out.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Welcome to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.