Michaelxx

I-134 Affidavit of Support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked.

My fiance saw somewhere that it is important to be in the same job for a minimum of 6 months prior to your interview. Is that true or no?

Our situation is I am a have been unemployed while I was a full time university student until May then I got a full time position in October where my income is well above the poverty line. So I also don't have tax returns from previous years while I was a university student and am worried if that will cause problems. I read that it could be, depending on the embassy, so she is in the Philippines if anyone has some helpful information they could share. Thank you in advance for any help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is beneficial (because it shows the job is long term and stable, and you can show paystubs to prove that), but it is not crucial.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My Fiance had a low income on previous tax returns as she was a Uni student and working part time for ASU and had only been in the her current position that earned over the 125% since the 25th July.

I took her tax return with me, letter from employer, pay stubs and bank statements to show she had been earning above the poverty guideline and was in permanent position.

They accepted this at my interview and they said it was approved and so far i have had no further requests from them for proof of employment or earnings...

I am still waiting for my visa though as only had my interview Thursday 8th December. When i was in the interview and he asked me for my paperwork i explained she hadn't earned enough on her previous tax return but i had proof of employment that she has been in for several months... Is this usually a problem? He said no, shes employed now and earning above the poverty guideline.

I will let you know how i get on. I think they may suggest this 6 months for the AOS more than the K1 as that is more strict apparently based on other peoples experiences.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

If you're worried, the safest thing would be to get a joint sponsor.

In any case, to help show that you now have stable income, ask for a letter from your employer stating when you began your new job, what the salary is, and how long the contract is for.

K1

Spoiler

12/18/2015- NOA 1

1/29/2016- NOA 2

2/18/2016- Letter from NVC saying they're forwarding to Guangzhou

3/4/2016- Received P3, returned it about a week later

3/22/2016- P4 email

5/12/16- Interview. Approved!

5/16/16- After a few days saying administrative processing, CEAC now says issued!

Additional snafu: my fiancé came over on his visa, but just a month later (and the day before we were going to get married) he had an emergency that necessitated him returning to China.  I contacted the Guangzhou consulate via their email system, provided the requested documents/proof, and he was granted a second interview for "reissuance."  He had to re-do the medical, redo the interview (bringing yet another copy of all of the things he had to bring the first time) and we were approved again!  He received what looked like a new visa in his passport, but the original 90 day countdown for marriage was still ticking.  He came back to the US and we got married right away!

8/22/16- Married!

AOS

9/30/16- Filed for AOS, EA, AP

10/6/16- NOA 1 for AOS, EA, and AP (USCIS case status website says case was received on October 4th)

11/9/16- Bio appointment

12/13/16- EA and AP approved!

no news... case status on website still says "fingerprint fee received..."

4/11/17- submitted online service request for case out of normal processing time (over 6 months)

5/2/17- USCIS website updated to "My card is being produced!"

5/10/17- Green Card received

ROC

3/2/19- Filed ROC

3/8/19- NOA/18mo extension received

5/7/19- Bio appointment

9/2/20- Interview scheduled for next month!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance had been in her position since July and in another position before that that also paid above the poverty guide line.

This is what i took to the US Embassy London (in regards to employment)

Tax return (which didn't earn enough)

Affidavit of support

Letter from employer

6 x pay stubs (weekly)

Bank statements

The letter from employer must be on company headed paper (just so you are aware)

My fiance's letter says the following:

To whom it may concern,

Sarah ****** is currently employed by ********* as a full time sales executive scheduled to work 40 hours per week. her employment began on July 25, 2016 and she is currently earning $17.00 per hour plus commision.

Please feel free to contact me directly at ******************* should you need any additional information

Signed

Human resources

I believe they took this letter along with some of the pay stubs and her tax return. I think if there had been issues with the fact that she hadn't been in the employment long enough then they would have denied the visa or asked for something else but they didn't. They didn't take her bank statements

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.